Pre-Game Talk: Canes @ Leafs, Thursday Oct 26th at 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Sure CAR has the ability to give everyone and our style a tough game but I'd also look at it the other way in that we're a very bad matchup for them because we score so easily and often and CAR struggles to score.

They've only scored 18 goals in 7 games and finished like 12th overall in goals for last season in the East.

They better hope for a low scoring 2 to 1, 3 to 1 victory but thats very hard to do against our group.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
He won't be PPG all year. If he could put up those points and show a pulse at the other end no one would have a problem with him.
If he did that he'd be asking for a lot more than an Oshie-like 8y deal. I hope he's not out long, but I want to see Leivo get a chance

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He won't be PPG all year. If he could put up those points and show a pulse at the other end no one would have a problem with him.

But he is now, and that's a good thing. Could very well be on pace for a career year. Not sure why this is a bad thing, while much inferior players like Martin get the "Wow he's so needed on this team!"

Scoring goals and putting up points is part of the game.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Sure CAR has the ability to give everyone and our style a tough game but I'd also look at it the other way in that we're a very bad matchup for them because we score so easily and often and CAR struggles to score.

They've only scored 18 goals in 7 games and finished like 12th overall in goals for last season in the East.

They better hope for a low scoring 2 to 1, 3 to 1 victory but thats very hard to do against our group.

Good points indeed. I was going to say something similar.

Last year, it's true the Canes played a heavy possession game, but, they didn't score a lot, (as you say), now this year, the Leafs are scoring at an average of OVER 4 goals per game. That's definitely going to come down BUT it can not be ignored. It'll come down, but, it just regresses to the mean as they say, there is still going to be some games (maybe quite a few) where we still score a ton of goals.

This could be one of those games. The CANES were NOT really much better defensively than we were last year - giving up 2.80 GA/60 compare to our 2.85 GA/60 - really hardly a difference if at all.

We can score, we can really really really REALLY score and that's not something a lot of teams can do.

It'll be hard for average teams to keep us to 1 or 2 goals and on most nights we're going to get 3 or more.

So, can the Canes score 3 or more? I don't think so.

We'll see.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Have to admit, bit disappointed that Babs called out Leivo with these comments today. This isn't Frank Corrado...Must be demoralizing to hear. Keep it to yourself Mike, that was an error in judgement.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Carolina's insane defensively, but Darling has had a rough start in his new colours. They also are completely unable to do anything offensively.

My guess is a game with less than 3 goals.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Have to admit, bit disappointed that Babs called out Leivo with these comments today. This isn't Frank Corrado...Must be demoralizing to hear. Keep it to yourself Mike, that was an error in judgement.

He had good things to say about Leivo. He wasn't talking about him.

Those shots were probably directed at Cowen, Corrado and maybe even Holland (but he was a soldier about his time here).

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
This could be one of those games. The CANES were NOT really much better defensively than we were last year - giving up 2.80 GA/60 compare to our 2.85 GA/60 - really hardly a difference if at all.

Ehh.. that's because Cam Ward / Eddie Lack are not good goalies. Scott Darling has been fantastic as a backup the past two years (better than Talbot on the Rags). This is a team that's given up the least shot attempts/60 in the entire league, and have the 6th best xGA60.

If Darling bounces back to his Chicago days, this is a team that won't let in any goals.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Carolina's insane defensively, but Darling has had a rough start in his new colours. They also are completely unable to do anything offensively.

My guess is a game with less than 3 goals.

What do you mean they are insane defensively? Last year they gave up 2.80 GA/60 and we gave up 2.85 GA/60 - really not much difference.
This year, it's still a small sample.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
What do you mean they are insane defensively? Last year they gave up 2.80 GA/60 and we gave up 2.85 GA/60 - really not much difference.
This year, it's still a small sample.

He's banking on Darling being a huge upgrade on Ward/Lack.

He could be but he also might not seeing we dont have a big sample with him being a everyday #1

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

what comments? i can't see the tweets on the board.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If he did that he'd be asking for a lot more than an Oshie-like 8y deal. I hope he's not out long, but I want to see Leivo get a chance
so half assed effort is ok because he won't cost too much?

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

Was he calling out Leivo or Fehr? Fehr made some disgruntled comments and then ended up on waivers. My feeling is it's Fehr not Leivo that he's referring to.

Also in a another video he said Leivo, Kapanen and Soshnikov are all NHL players right now.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Babs wasnt calling out Leivo.
He was actually subtily complementing him.
The people he was taking shots at was Corrado, Cowen etc

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Was he calling out Leivo or Fehr? Fehr made some disgruntled comments and then ended up on waivers. My feeling is it's Fehr not Leivo that he's referring to.

Also in a another video he said Leivo, Kapanen and Soshnikov are all NHL players right now.

Obviously Corrado is one.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Babcock basically says that years past we've had players who were disgruntled that they werent playing, only to go somewhere else and find out they're not NHL players.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Babcock basically says that years past we've had players who were disgruntled that they werent playing, only to go somewhere else and find out they're not NHL players.

Yea but subtext is him calling out someone on the team right now. Otherwise why bring it up? Babcock wouldn't just take shots like that for no reason.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
5 goals and 9 points in 9 games. I wouldn't wish that at all.

But he's still a minus 4 on a team that is +10 in goal differential. Bozak and Marner are also minus 5 and 8 respectively.

So ya... JVR is putting up points and scoring goals... but is he really helping us win games?

If Leivo and Brown can make Bozak and the third line a plus line overall... then I'd rather that than JVR who puts up more points but lets in more goals against.

Reactions: Lauro and Rogie

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Ehh.. that's because Cam Ward / Eddie Lack are not good goalies. Scott Darling has been fantastic as a backup the past two years (better than Talbot on the Rags). This is a team that's given up the least shot attempts/60 in the entire league, and have the 6th best xGA60.

If Darling bounces back to his Chicago days, this is a team that won't let in any goals.

It seems strange to give up the least shots per 60 and yet rank 15th in the league in GA/60.

ARe you talking about Corsis or Fenwicks or Shots or Scoring Chances, because when I look at naturalstatrick.com and 5v5 score and venue adjusted (from last year) the Canes are very very middle of the pack.

Can you post numbers and reference them please!

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Yea but subtext is him calling out someone on the team right now. Otherwise why bring it up? Babcock wouldn't just take shots like that for no reason.

Or hes saying that Leivo has been a good soldier and didnt cry when he wasnt getting playing time?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
But he's still a minus 4 on a team that is +10 in goal differential. Bozak and Marner are also minus 5 and 8 respectively.

So ya... JVR is putting up points and scoring goals... but is he really helping us win games?

If Leivo and Brown can make Bozak and the third line a plus line overall... then I'd rather that than JVR who puts up more points but lets in more goals against.
Good post but I don't think Leivo is the answer either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad