Rumor: Canadiens interested in offer sheeting Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
If the Habs do the 4 x 1st round thing, Winnipeg would be very dangerous seeking a young centre coming out of his ELC with 8 1st round picks coming in the next 4 years. The Habs 1st rounders we'd keep as they'd be much lower than the Jets and we'd OS our perfect fit.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If the Habs do the 4 x 1st round thing, Winnipeg would be very dangerous seeking a young centre coming out of his ELC with 8 1st round picks coming in the next 4 years. The Habs 1st rounders we'd keep as they'd be much lower than the Jets and we'd OS our perfect fit.
Having those 8 1st would give the Jets a lot of flexibility to look at filling the 2C slot as well as addressing the issues on D, through OS, draft, and/or trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetsetter

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
It's worth the risk and I'm all for it. I don't see what else better there is to do. If we're not able to add a significant scoring resource to our lineup this year, Bergevin needs to seriously look at the elephant in the room: Price and Weber have few years left in the elite of their positions, and our next guys still need a few years before they can join them.

Yeah, I’m hoping Bergevin can get this done. I haven’t heard anything saying Laine would be ready to sign an OS in MTL. But if Winnipeg is offering 8M and we’re offering 10M he might just take the money. Now is that a big enough difference for Chevy not to match? I don’t know

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How do Jets fans fell about negotiating a trade for Laine? What would be fair value for the 5 years at $10M contract we likely offer him?

2-1st, 2nd, 3rd. I believe you need RD's right? I know Juulsen is not flashy but he is a potential top 4D and played very well for the Habs last year before getting hurt. Also, what about getting Armia back? If we add Laine, we can spare Armia cause our RW would be deep

Juulsen, Armia, 1st, 2nd, 3rd?

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
How do Jets fans fell about negotiating a trade for Laine? What would be fair value for the 5 years at $10M contract we likely offer him?

2-1st, 2nd, 3rd. I believe you need RD's right? I know Juulsen is not flashy but he is a potential top 4D and played very well for the Habs last year before getting hurt. Also, what about getting Armia back? If we add Laine, we can spare Armia cause our RW would be deep

Why does no one from Montreal get it?

Reactions: TS Quint

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah, I’m hoping Bergevin can get this done. I haven’t heard anything saying Laine would be ready to sign an OS in MTL. But if Winnipeg is offering 8M and we’re offering 10M he might just take the money. Now is that a big enough difference for Chevy not to match? I don’t know

I think targeting Laine is as much about targeting Winnipeg as anything. I don't know if they really are vulnerable but they might be given that they have to re-sign Laine and Connor this year, while leaving space for Morrisey next year, and they only have 7 (8 if you count Vesalainen) forward contracts on the books currently. There's only one way to find out.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

If there's one thing the Aho OS proved from the Habs standpoint it's that MB is very conscious about the compensation. Very very little chance he's going with the four 1st round picks if all he was willing to give up for Aho was a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Two 1sts, 2nd and a 3rd really isn't that much. Even if Laine comes in and scores only 60 points with 40 goals but polishes his game back up to where he's active on the defense and isn't such a passenger like he was this year, that's gonna be worth more than two 1st round picks that are likely on the second half of the first round. That's not even counting that Laine might bounce back massively and become the player he was tracking to be on his rookie season and parts of his sophomore season. 10 million AAV but under the cutoff for the max compensation and a 5 year deal, you might get it done without Jets matching.

Ok and did you read my post? It doesn’t seem so. I made a simple statement: Montreal isn’t trading 4 1st round picks for Laine. Much like in the case of Aho, any offer sheet they put out will be the next threshold under. It is a waste of everyone’s time. It will just agitate other GMs and Montreal will isolate itself. The only way another GM considers giving up their premier player is if those 4 1st round picks are on the table... and they won’t be. Not unless it’s Marner (which would still be a stupid move for Montreal).

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
I think targeting Laine is as much about targeting Winnipeg as anything. I don't know if they really are vulnerable but they might be given that they have to re-sign Laine and Connor this year, while leaving space for Morrisey next year, and they only have 7 (8 if you count Vesalainen) forward contracts on the books currently. There's only one way to find out.

We do have a surplus of NHL ready forwards that could fill out a top 9 roster.
Maybe a trade would make more sense in this situation. 2 1st rounders, a 2nd, a 3rd plus NHL ready players.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
upload_2019-7-8_21-20-46.gif

Marc Bergevin. Pick-up artist.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Plus for the Habs it wouldn’t even matter THAT much if Laine was paid 1-2M too much. They don’t need to be a cap team just yet. The most important thing here would be to have Laine for five years and then have the ability to re-sign him for eight years after that.
Owners have been talking about capping the contracts to 5 years in the next CBA.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Wow that is brutal. You want to trade for Laine and don't offer an impact player or top prospect in return?

Reactions: Snowman

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wow that is brutal. You want to trade for Laine and don't offer an impact player or top prospect in return?

OK. We can offer sheet him for 5 years at $10M then. You either match or get two 1sts, 2nd, 3rd. Where is the impact player or prospect in this package?

- Juulsen and Armia > 1st (likely 15-31 range)
- 1st = 1st
- 2nd, 3rd = 2nd, 3rd

Or you match the offer sheet. Understand the approach now? I know you want a higher return but context matters in negotiation. The minute you match, we go after Conner.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Id definitely be willing to swap armia for Suzuki does that change your mind at all?

If you swap Armia for Suzuki, take Juulsen or the 1st out. We don't need to offer anything more than the offer sheet range of $8.5M -$10.5M range (2-1st, 2nd, 3rd)

- Suzuki is worth a top 5-10 pick.
- Juulsen is worth a top 15-31 pick
- Armia is worth a 2nd or 3rd

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
OK. We can offer sheet him for 5 years at $10M then. You either match or get two 1sts, 2nd, 3rd. Where is the impact player or prospect in this package?

- Juulsen and Armia > 1st (likely 15-31 range)
- 1st = 1st
- 2nd, 3rd = 2nd, 3rd

Or you match the offer sheet. Understand the approach now? I know you want a higher return but context matters in negotiation. The minute you match, we go after Conner.

You are more than welcome to pay Connor $10 mil.

Reactions: Snowman

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
If you swap Armia for Suzuki, take Juulsen or the 1st out. We don't need to offer anything more than the offer sheet range of $8.5M -$10.5M range (2-1st, 2nd, 3rd)

- Suzuki is worth a top 5-10 pick.
- Juulsen is worth a top 15-31 pick
- Armia is worth a 2nd or 3rd
Id do Julssen suzuki and the 1st you have to overpay to get talent like Laine and im willing to pay the price

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are more than welcome to pay Connor $10 mil.

Who said we would offer sheet Connor $10M? This is all about your cap space and if you match Laine at $10M, This chews up your cap space more than you would like. Then we offer Connor slightly above market value. If you match that, then what? You going to trade Ehlers for a young RD who is on a cheaper contract?

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
At least I would not feel insulted. Still would not make the trade and would match instead. It is going to cost significantly more than the return the Habs got for Pacioretty
Fair enough what would you be looking for in trade my only untouchable is kk

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Id do Julssen suzuki and the 1st you have to overpay to get talent like Laine and im willing to pay the price

I like Laine but not that much. This is about offer sheet compensation. My approach is this..

- Offer sheet Laine (5 years at $10M)
or
- Suzuki, Juulsen or 1st, 2nd 3rd
or
- Armia, Juulsen, 1st, 2nd, 3rd
or
they match and we offer Connor a offer sheet above market AAV.

If it all falls through, I'm willing to move on. I don't think Juulsen, Suzuki, and a 1st far off in value but fair trade value for a player who does not have a contract? Rather offer $10.4M in a offer sheet and potentially give up 2-1st, 2nd, 3rd.

Suzuki, Juulsen, 1st >> 2-1st, 2nd, 3rd.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At least I would not feel insulted. Still would not make the trade and would match instead. It is going to cost significantly more than the return the Habs got for Pacioretty

I don't think you are considering context of Laine and the offer sheet approach. The only leverage you have is to match the offer sheet at a higher AAV than you would like. And I believe you rather not have Laine at $10M or $10.4M where you have other roster holes at RD to fix with very little cap space

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
There is no way for Montreal to give him an offer sheet that will improve their team.

- Too little - it's matched

- Too much - WPG takes the picks and now MTL is paying +++ money to a player that isn't the "answer" - their lineup has multiple offensive gaps and they continue to sputter

I'm Ieally surprised that anyone thinks this is a good idea for MTL?

Reactions: Guffman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad