Rumor: Canadiens interested in offer sheeting Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I'm sure a lot of fans thought the exact same thing at one point about a number of the prospects Legend123 just listed between 2008-2015. That's how it works with prospects. Pretty much every one of them is destined to hit their ceiling in the eyes of the fans until one day they don't. Not saying the prospects MTL has now are all going to be busts by any means because they look solid for sure. Just saying it's waaaaay too early to make any sort of determination on them at this point.

That's a fair point

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Laine has more value then Connor.
Connor has been given optimal usage over Ehlers and Laine
I love Kyle but his numbers would look a lot different if he was riding 2nd line minutes more.

Laine’s stats are insane when you look at his TOI.

So the Habs should OS Connor before they OS Laine if Laine is the goal.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
And earlier in the thread, you said Laine’s recent season (30G, 50P) should be the primary basis to assess his value (in the context of saying the Habs shouldn’t give up much).

Now, you think a 50P player should get around 9M?

This thread is honestly stupid and it doesn’t help when posters can’t even keep a consistent opinion.

With respect to “worth a shot”, in what universe do the Jets ever not match that? If they hate the contract a lot, they trade him a year later rather than get the offer sheet draft pittance you would get for that contract.

Laine isn't a "50p player", it's disgusting how people underrated him. I'd prefer to call him a 30 goal scorer.

And yes, 9m for a player that just posted a 30g season despite having posted 36 and 44 before that.

Had he posted close to 40 again I'd deffs put him in the 10+ range.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
If you think KK and Laine will be a good fit, you can just trade him to us.

We'll send you Copp, niku, a first and a second.

See how that feels? And KK hasn't accomplished anything close to Laine in his career.

You're taking this all right to the feels, it's just a forum lol. Go take a walk

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Laine isn't a "50p player", it's disgusting how people underrated him. I'd prefer to call him a 30 goal scorer.

And yes, 9m for a player that just posted a 30g season despite having posted 36 and 44 before that.

Ignoring Laine's abysmal assist numbers because it fits your narrative is pretty convenient, but in the real world players are paid based on their overall hockey ability, not by how many MPH they can shoot a slap shot

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Ignoring Laine's abysmal assist numbers because it fits your narrative is pretty convenient, but in the real world players are paid based on their overall hockey ability, not by how many MPH they can shoot a slap shot

Who cares about the power or speed of his shot, as long as he's putting them in.

Not many players can pot 30+ consistently, and at such a young age too, Laine is in an exclusive club joining probably a handful of players out of the 50,000+ in the NHL's history.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Trade you Drouin for Laine: 50 point player for 50 point player, how bout it?

Reactions: CapSpace

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Habs have 7.4 million to spend while the Jets have 23 million, the Jets can afford to overpay if required but the Habs can’t. The only thing offering to overpay Jets RFA’s would accomplish is to drive up the comparable when their own RFA’s hit the market.

The problem is that offer sheets exist to prevent teams from lowballing RFA’s, not to give other teams access to RFA’s. Trying to get around that by overpaying the player is a loose – loose situation, it hurts both teams, which is why it doesn’t happen. Even if you overpay a player enough that the other team doesn’t match, you are still stuck with an overpaid player.

Habs can easily create more space if required and we have a full roster with only Lehkonen and Armia to sign.

Offer sheets for RFA's are a fair way for players to get paid. It worked perfectly for Aho. You don't have to like it but it's a two sided approach between the NHL and NHLPA. Did the offer sheet for Aho really drive his price up? Well yeah, it did slightly but in that case, it was more about July signing bonus money they like to avoid but the Habs forced their hand.

Jets have $23M in cap space but have to sign Laine and Connor with others to come. Habs are just trying to use the RFA offer sheet rules that are in place. It's nothing personal and it's business. If you want to do this to us later, you should. If you match, you match. We are not really desperate, we are just exploring options.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I completely agree that trading Laine is not an easy choice (and hell maybe it is not even the right choice for WPG, I just think it will all depend from cap management perspective!), I just thought there is a difference between Scheifele/Wheeler and Laine, the firsts being franchise players, the other one being a very good player (cf. Panarin when traded by CHicago for cap space) and that WPG would consider a trade involving Suzuki as basis.

I am not sure this is the best way for WPG (the best would be to be able to trade Perreault and Kulikov) BUT in the case this would be the roard chosen by management, this is the scenario I would have deemed realistic :)
I'm actually all for trading Laine, but if we did it would be on the open market with 30 bidders. If the Habs want him, then the package they put together would have to be better than what the rest of the league offered.

He's not going anywhere without a young 1RD or 1/2C coming back. There's a window here with wheeler/buff overlapping schief/Jomo/Ehlers/Connor etc so whoever comes back had to be ready to jump in and help us contend. Suzuki and Brook are nice pieces (as are the first round picks) but they don't fit the bill

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

Maybe you should offer Andreas Anthanasiou $9M AAV next year since he came off a 30G campaign.

I think for anyone to think 30G for a 21 year old Laine is his new normal is not working with a full tool set.

Reactions: Snowman

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Jets almost $22m in cap space is going to be used substantially by Laine and Connor. The other roster holes are gonna have to be filled internally or by what's on the roster already.

Even with the threat of an offer sheet, the Jets aren't going to take what is frankly a pretty bad offer for Laine just because he might sign an offer sheet. I'm sure they would be uncomfortable but would match anything that's not in the four first range. If it was in that range, I think they'd consider matching depending on the dollar amount. If Montreal wants to massively overpay, then that return is better than Juulsen,Armia, and a 1st.

I think the Jets likely match most offers sheets but were not going to believe you until you do. Just cause you say you will match anything other than 4-1st, it don't mean we should not try 5 years at $10M. It's not a terrible contract for Laine. Overpaid slightly, yes. If you match you match.

Some Habs fans would give the 4-1st trade value but I would not. My value is exactly what the offer sheet compensation say for a $10.4M contract for 5 years (max level before it changes). You can make an argument that the compensation is low and that is fair but the rules have already been established for this season.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I would rather give Laine $10.4M and give up 2-1st, 2nd, 3rd vs give them Suzuki, Juulsen, 1st for Laine at $9M. Also, If Laine won't sign for $9M with the Jets, he won't with the Habs.

If they match, they match. Worth the try based on their cap situation

Exactly. It's worth a try. I would just OS Laine at 10.4 for 5 years and leave it at that as Habs don't need Connor so why take the small chance Chevy lets you have Connor for 8 million.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Maybe you should offer Andreas Anthanasiou $9M AAV next year since he came off a 30G campaign.

I think for anyone to think 30G for a 21 year old Laine is his new normal is not working with a full tool set.

Yes, a gm should pay him for his 44g season :facepalm:

Let's also go back and lay every old UFA for his career high because f*** the cap

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm actually all for trading Laine, but if we did it would be on the open market with 30 bidders. If the Habs want him, then the package they put together would have to be better than what the rest of the league offered.

He's not going anywhere without a young 1RD or 1/2C coming back. There's a window here with wheeler/buff overlapping schief/Jomo/Ehlers/Connor etc so whoever comes back had to be ready to jump in and help us contend. Suzuki and Brook are nice pieces (as are the first round picks) but they don't fit the bill

Fair. If I was a Jets fan, I would be saying something similar. But this is about offer sheet and if Laine actually signs a 5 year at $10M contract (or $10.4), you have three choices.

- Match
- Don't match and get 2-1st, 2nd, 3rd
- or negotiate a trade where we sent you assets not to match

Or we can talk before hand and try to negotiate a trade before the offer sheet is signed. If we can't come to an agreement, you would have to quickly find another trade partner before the Habs get Laine to sign. Heck, maybe Laine doesn't sign the 5 years at $10.4M but I think he does.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Yes, a gm should pay him for his 44g season :facepalm:

Let's also go back and lay every old UFA for his career high because **** the cap

That was a knowledgable post.

You’re now comparing a 21-year old to a UFA who may be a declining asset past their prime? WHAT?!

Perhaps in your wisdom you can explain why Laine regressed in his output this past year and why this is his new normal for the next five years.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Fair. If I was a Jets fan, I would be saying something similar. But this is about offer sheet and if Laine actually signs a 5 year at $10M contract (or $10.4), you have three choices.

- Match
- or negotiate a trade for us not to match

Or we can talk before hand and try to negotiate a trade before the offer sheet is signed. If we can't come to an agreement, you would have to quickly find another trade partner before the Habs get Laine to sign. Heck, maybe Laine doesn't sign the 5 years at $10.4M but I think he does.
Anything short of four firsts and we match. Four firsts I don't think we do.

I think the disconnect here is that you think that we'd be willing to negotiate a deal for the equivilant of 1,1,2,3 compensation level. We wouldn't. If you want to make a trade offer, make it equivilant to the four firsts. You're not getting Laine for less than that, sorry.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

- Match
- or negotiate a trade for us not to match

Why did the Habs offer Aho only $8.5M, a much more useful player for you, and in your fantasy world, Laine gets offered $10.5M?

Why are you avoiding this question? To blather on about this nonsensical situation?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
That was a knowledgable post.

You’re now comparing a 21-year old to a UFA who may be a declining asset past their prime? WHAT?!

Perhaps in your wisdom you can explain why Laine regressed in his output this past year and why this is his new normal for the next five years.

Idk? Fortnite?

Either way, to ignore the most recent (and poorest season) when offering a contract is dumb. It was a contract year and he did this to himself, the gm should absolutely use this in his favor.

8 x 9.25m

You all heard it here first.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Idk? Fortnite?

Either way, to ignore the most recent (and poorest season) when offering a contract is dumb. It was a contract year and he did this to himself, the gm should absolutely use this in his favor.

8 x 9.25m

You all heard it here first.

Who said to ignore his most recent season? His whole career to date matters, something that you were being dismissive of.

As for what you think Laine will actually sign for, why even bother saying, “You all heard it here first.”? As if actual Jets fans haven’t been prognosticating the expected contract for over a year?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why did the Habs offer Aho only $8.5M, a much more useful player for you, and in your fantasy world, Laine gets offered $10.5M?

Why are you avoiding this question? To blather on about this nonsensical situation?

1) Cause cap space was not a problem for the Canes but July signing bonus appeared to be. Habs clearly found out from the Agent that the Canes did not want to pay signing bonus money in July. Look at the Slavin and Taravainen contracts for example if you want more proof. There is also $70M the Canes owner invested in the football league that went under plus the $3.8M he just paid to buy out Marleau. The offer the Habs gave Aho was fair to Aho and it was all about July signing bonus money.

2) Cause cap space appears to be an issue for the Jets but July bonus money does not with Laine

Context matters. I think you are the one who is blathering on without understanding the context. Don't be so sensitive, it't business.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think the Jets likely match most offers sheets but were not going to believe you until you do. Just cause you say you will match anything other than 4-1st, it don't mean we should not try 5 years at $10M. It's not a terrible contract for Laine. Overpaid slightly, yes. If you match you match.

Some Habs fans would give the 4-1st trade value but I would not. My value is exactly what the offer sheet compensation say for a $10.4M contract for 5 years (max level before it changes). You can make an argument that the compensation is low and that is fair but the rules have already been established for this season.

I don't think Bergevin has the offer sheet leverage given that he offered a better player, less money. If you'd like to do that, nothing wrong with trying, I'm not gonna be bitter about it. I just think it gets matched.

I don't think the compensation on offer sheets is too low, I think based on Laine's value, the extra million or so of cap being taken up isn't worth that low of a draft pick return. The roster is basically set anyways, freeing up cap space this season does nothing to help get a top 4 d-man, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad