Speculation: Canadiens actively shopping 4 players

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Doubt Pearson gets moved at all at this point. There was a thought we’d get a late pick for him. But now it seems unlikely we get a late pick even if he’s retained.
You never know, a team with injuries (and therefore some LTIR room) might take him on as a depth player rather than putting a kid in a situation to fail.

But yeah, it's unlikely he'll fetch much of anything in any case.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You never know, a team with injuries (and therefore some LTIR room) might take him on as a depth player rather than putting a kid in a situation to fail.

But yeah, it's unlikely he'll fetch much of anything in any case.
The tough part with Pearson is that even at 50% retention he carries a 1.625 hit. That's pretty steep for what he brings.

Tough to see for a guy like Pearson. He was a nice player before injuries took their toll on him.

Reactions: CapSpace

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The tough part with Pearson is that even at 50% retention he carries a 1.625 hit. That's pretty steep for what he brings.

Tough to see for a guy like Pearson. He was a nice player before injuries took their toll on him.
Which is why I'm not expecting him to fetch much of anything. But if a team has tons of cap room and wants to add depth for the playoffs, without spending significant assets, he'd be a good fit.

Say if TB patches their issue on D and wants to add a veteran forward, he'd be a good fit with Sergachev's LTIR room.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Doubt Habs trade Savard or Matheson this deadline. Character veterans like them are good for young players to learn from.

Maybe 10% chance they trade Matheson, Savard maybe 20% chance. Habs would have to be blown away. Slim chance it happens.

Armia I probably would trade away for mid round pick. Give Armia minutes to either Heineman or Roy next season. Take caproom I save on Armia and use it to buy Gallagher out this summer. Gain a mid round pick and Gallagher 6.5 million caphit be gone. Give Montreal extra 6.5 million in cap room to work with this summer.

I would use that and offer Philly Allen half retained, for Peterson and a first? They dump his contract.

MajorWeber

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc
Doubt Habs trade Savard or Matheson this deadline. Character veterans like them are good for young players to learn from.

Maybe 10% chance they trade Matheson, Savard maybe 20% chance. Habs would have to be blown away. Slim chance it happens.

Armia I probably would trade away for mid round pick. Give Armia minutes to either Heineman or Roy next season. Take caproom I save on Armia and use it to buy Gallagher out this summer. Gain a mid round pick and Gallagher 6.5 million caphit be gone. Give Montreal extra 6.5 million in cap room to work with this summer.

I would use that and offer Philly Allen half retained, for Peterson and a first? They dump his contract.
Only way they trade either one, is if a team overpays by a big margin. I don't see that happening. Matheson his on a nice contract.
I don't see the reason behind retaining on Allen to pick up a worst contract in Petersen for the same term.

Reactions: CDN24

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Buy Gallagher out this summer. Gain a mid round pick and Gallagher 6.5 million caphit be gone. Give Montreal extra 6.5 million in cap room to work with this summer.

You don't understand how buyouts work.

The Canadiens don't get an "extra $6.5 million in cap room" if they buy out Brendan Gallagher.

In fact, they'd have a cap hit of over $2 million all the way til 2030.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don't see the reason behind retaining on Allen to pick up a worst contract in Petersen for the same term.
You can't figure that out?? It's easy, Habs gain first round pick is why. Habs retain 1.9 on Allen, send Peterson minors clears another 1.2 million. For extra 1.8 in caproom Montreal gains first. Habs 10 million under cap, it's f...all to them. Flyers get vet for playoffs, while gaining 3.1 million caproom this season. The 5m of Peterson to 1.9 Allen. They can ( and/or) retain 25% flip him in off season. Or send him to minors. They gain 5 million cap room next season.

Last edited:

Elnino

Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
If I'm a buyer, I'd love to bring in Savard. Ideally on 3rd pairing but can move up or down the D-corp and fill in for injuries. Good experience + cup-winning play. No way I want to pay a first but a late 2nd + a prospect far in the depth chart? Sign me up. Actually, if I lose on the bidding of the guy I really want and need to settle for Savard, I'd go as high as late first for Savard + 2nd.

I'd like Allen as a backup, never would I put my Stanley cup window on this guy but hey if he gives me 1 win out of 16, I'd gladly give a 3rd for him

I'd also like to acquire Armia. He scored some big goals in the playoffs some years ago. This year, he rode the bus to Laval and never complained so if I can get him for a 3rd, I'd probably do it. Worst case, I just don't dress him and he doesnt hurt the team. Best case, he gives me 5ish goals on limited time including a shortie in 20ish games.

Christian Dvorak? Pass. Don't see a need anywhere. Maybe if I have one of his junior buddy (like Tkachuk or Marner) on my team and want to give him an extra boost. Maybe if I owe a favour to his dad for previously signing on the cheap 20+ years ago...

• Haha
Reactions: Natey

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If I'm a buyer, I'd love to bring in Savard. Ideally on 3rd pairing but can move up or down the D-corp and fill in for injuries. Good experience + cup-winning play. No way I want to pay a first but a late 2nd + a prospect far in the depth chart? Sign me up. Actually, if I lose on the bidding of the guy I really want and need to settle for Savard, I'd go as high as late first for Savard + 2nd.

I'd like Allen as a backup, never would I put my Stanley cup window on this guy but hey if he gives me 1 win out of 16, I'd gladly give a 3rd for him

I'd also like to acquire Armia. He scored some big goals in the playoffs some years ago. This year, he rode the bus to Laval and never complained so if I can get him for a 3rd, I'd probably do it. Worst case, I just don't dress him and he doesnt hurt the team. Best case, he gives me 5ish goals on limited time including a shortie in 20ish games.

Christian Dvorak? Pass. Don't see a need anywhere. Maybe if I have one of his junior buddy (like Tkachuk or Marner) on my team and want to give him an extra boost. Maybe if I owe a favour to his dad for previously signing on the cheap 20+ years ago...
What team you cheer for? A late first and 2nd for Savard with no retention is getting close
Dvorak is unmovable. He'd out for season with injury

Elnino

Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
What team you cheer for? A late first and 2nd for Savard with no retention is getting close
Dvorak is unmovable. He'd out for season with injury
No no, not 1st + 2nd. I trade a late first but I would want an early 2nd with Savard (I'd send a plug the other way if it's what required to fit in cap). Regarding Dvorak, 100% agreed.

Oh and I cheer for Montreal, I just happened to see our run end when he set up Ross Colton.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I would have a hard time paying full price for a Habs asset right now.
Unless its a deal soo good you can't say no, ie Suzuki for a 1st 50% retained type thing, which would NEVER happen

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
No no, not 1st + 2nd. I trade a late first but I would want an early 2nd with Savard (I'd send a plug the other way if it's what required to fit in cap). Regarding Dvorak, 100% agreed.

Oh and I cheer for Montreal, I just happened to see our run end when he set up Ross Colton.
So... Savard at 50% to go from pick 55 (the Avs 2nd) to a late 1st (around 25) ? No way is that enough.

A 1st and a 2nd for Savard would make me reconsider the decision to keep him, if I were a GM. A "cheap" offer from someone looking for a discount upgrade on RD just isn't going to cut it. As I've said before, if Savard isn't fetching a first or equivalent value, I'd rather keep him.

It's likely Montreal can get a 2nd for him in a year, regardless, so might as well keep his leadership and experience for an extra year.

Reactions: Hansman

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
You can't figure that out?? It's easy, Habs gain first round pick is why. Habs retain 1.9 on Allen, send Peterson minors clears another 1.2 million. For extra 1.8 in caproom Montreal gains first. Habs 10 million under cap, it's f...all to them. Flyers get vet for playoffs, while gaining 3.1 million caproom this season. The 5m of Peterson to 1.9 Allen. They can ( and/or) retain 25% flip him in off season. Or send him to minors. They gain 5 million cap room next season.
In no world or situation are the Habs getting a first for Allen, even with retention. I thought we explained this to you on the Habs board. Stop embarrassing us.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Unless its a deal soo good you can't say no, ie Suzuki for a 1st 50% retained type thing, which would NEVER happen
So.... you want 6 years of retention for about 24M in total, on a #1 center (playing at a point per game this season), who can be a top-6C on a cup finalist, and give up no more than a 1st ?

I mean, who wouldn't want to pay so little for a prime asset ?

I mean.... why even bother posting this ? I might as well suggest Winnipeg's 1st for McDavid.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

We can't do that

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Well take a retained Marner, Matthews or Nylander for a 1st .

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Well i guess you would be fine with giving one of a retained Marner, Matthews or Nylander for a 1st .
thats my point, we can go after Lyubshkin for less than what you guys want for Savard
So really outside of Savard, the deal would have to be soo good, that you can't so no too.
That would mean Hab fans would hate it. But its all moot, cuz the GM would be fired before the paper work is even handed in

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00