Canada WJC's Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
I said it before, but if Huberdeau and Phillips both make the team, they'll more than likely play on a line together.

Familiarity is important in a short tournament, and while taking the Windsor line (Hall-Henrique-Nemisz) was an epic fail, both Huberdeau and Phillips make the other better.

I agree that familiarity is important. Which of the following combinations do you think we might see?

Petrovic - Dumba (Red Deer)

Huberdeau - Phillips (Saint John)
Hamilton - Strome (Niagara)
Pearson - Scheifele (Barrie)
Jenner - Thomas (Oshawa)
Ferland - - Stone (Brandon)
Ross - - Rattie (Portland)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Jaden Schwartz - Mark Scheifele - Mark Stone
Jonathan Huberdeau - Ryan Strome - Zack Phillips
Quinton Howden - Tyler Toffoli - Brendan Gallagher
Brad Ross - Boone Jenner - Brett Bulmer
Tanner Pearson

Huberdeau Scheifele Phillips
Stone McNeil Ferland
Howden Strome Toffoli
Bulmer Danult Ross
Gallagher

If Toffoli makes it, my guess is it'll have to be on one of the scoring lines. If he gets cut, chances are it'll be because there were guys better than him in the top six, and he's not as well suited to be a checking line or energy line forward. Same can be said for someone like Christian Thomas.

---

I hope Morrow or Harrington show well. It would be awesome to see both Pens' prospects make the team, but with the depth on defense that's highly unlikely.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Huberdeau - Scheifele - Schwartz
Stone - Strome - Howden
Ferland - Reinhart - Bournival
Bulmer - Danult - Ross

Last edited:

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
According to Aaron Vickers on Twitter, Hockey Canada is ruling out Seguin, Skinner and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins from joining the team (no surprise there), however there are five other players in the NHL who are still eligible:

Sean Couturier, PHI
Devante Smith-Pelley, ANA
Ryan Johansen, CLB
Eric Gudbranson, FLA
Brett Connolly, TB

Any guesses on who (if any) could be released to play?

GM17*

According to Aaron Vickers on Twitter, Hockey Canada is ruling out Seguin, Skinner and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins from joining the team (no surprise there), however there are five other players in the NHL who are still eligible:

Sean Couturier, PHI
Devante Smith-Pelley, ANA
Ryan Johansen, CLB
Eric Gudbranson, FLA
Brett Connolly, TB

Any guesses on who (if any) could be released to play?

Gudbranson + an outside shot for Johansen. The rest are playing integral roles for teams chasing success. From what I can tell Gudbranson isn't getting a lot of time as it is, and it's even dropping each game.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What type of player is he?

From the FC's October Intro to the 2012 NHL Draft.

A big body that has plenty of room to continue to add strength to, Di Giuseppe has all the raw tools to develop into a highly effective power forward during his time in Ann Arbor, MI. Protects the puck well and works the boards hard, usually winning the puck. Has a good hard shot with a quick release that he uses while driving to the net. Hard to contain for less physical defenses as he keeps his feet moving and drives into dirty areas without hesitation. Yost Arena will be a hot spot for scouts as they watch the fluid skating bull power his way around the ice this season. Still plenty of room to grow but NHL potential is definitely evident.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Very interesting to see people's lineups with Gallagher. He's got a very good shot at making the team.

Not only is he a complete player, but he is also the star player on Don Hay's WHL team in Vancouver. He'll make it, no doubt in my mind.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Siemens not invited is a surprise, but not as much as all the people prior to the invitations calling Siemens as a lock for the team. I like Siemens, but he is still a bit of a project. TC likes to go for established players - guys who can get the job done now. Be interesting to see who makes it. Does Visentin have any challenge in nets for the starter spot?

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
don't follow the CHL that much but I thought I'd throw a lineup out there just for the hell of it to see if others think I'm close or way off:

Jaden Schwartz - Mark Scheifele - Mark Stone
Jonathan Huberdeau - Ryan Strome - Zack Phillips
Quinton Howden - Tyler Toffoli - Brendan Gallagher
Brad Ross - Boone Jenner - Brett Bulmer
Tanner Pearson

Brandon Gormley - Dougie Hamilton
Ryan Murphy - Mark Pysyk
Jamie Oleksiak - Nathan Beaulieu
Matt Dumba

Mark Visentin
Tyler Bunz

Gallagher was the last played cut from the team last season. He's a better centre than Toffoli and Jenner.

Gallagher and Bournival are locks.

Beaulieu won't make it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Siemens not invited is a surprise, but not as much as all the people prior to the invitations calling Siemens as a lock for the team. I like Siemens, but he is still a bit of a project. TC likes to go for established players - guys who can get the job done now. Be interesting to see who makes it. Does Visentin have any challenge in nets for the starter spot?

If that's the case then why was a guy like Oleksiak invited? I have a hard time believing he's farther along in his development than Siemens.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Considering he didn't, one would assume they are? lol what a question.

Many people said they wouldn't be shocked if MacKinnon didn't get an invite, are those people still not shocked?

:biglaugh:

anyways...I think Huberdeau Phillips Stone would make a good line. Maybe Strome plays wing with Schwartz + Scheifele

It was a leading question. I was reffering to the lack of surprise people have had that he's not invited, considering how many people jumped on me when I said I'll be shocked if he gets an invite.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
If that's the case then why was a guy like Oleksiak invited? I have a hard time believing he's farther along in his development than Siemens.

I really try not buy into conspiracy theories, but maybe they told him he'd be at the camp if he chose HC? From what I've read, he hasn't been good this year..

AvsFan7*

Looks like another year of cheering against my Countrys team, had to do it last year when they didnt even Take Elliot to the Camp, and now theyve done it again not taking Siemens, what a ****ing joke. I mean he might not have made the roster but not even invited to camp??????

LETS GO SWEDEN LETS GO!!

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I find it very annoying how half this thread is people coming in and saying "so and so player" from "team I cheer for" should make the team because of blah blah blah reasons... You really are contributing barely anything to the conversation if you're doing that and not looking at things objectively.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Looks like another year of cheering against my Countrys team, had to do it last year when they didnt even Take Elliot to the Camp, and now theyve done it again not taking Siemens, what a ****ing joke. I mean he might not have made the roster but not even invited to camp??????

LETS GO SWEDEN LETS GO!!
Wow, Canada is lucky to have you as a fan.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
I'd be shocked if Ferland and Stone don't make it. Almost tempted to say you can keep McNeill on their line and keep em together. insta chemistry.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I really try not buy into conspiracy theories, but maybe they told him he'd be at the camp if he chose HC? From what I've read, he hasn't been good this year..

He's a bit of a project and has played like one. Like I've said all along, I will be shocked if he doesn't make the final roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad