Canada WJC's Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
How can you be happy with they way they lost the last 2 years ?

They won 5 in a row previous to that. The WJC is too competitive with the top teams for Canada to win every single year.

And "the way they lost"? You mean in OT one game and by dominating 50 mins the next game? Many countries would love to be in those positions.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I had Gallagher next to Phillips and Huberdeau, but changed it to Rattie because he has slightly better point totals.

It's probably be a toss up between those two. Either one could make the team IMO.

Yeah Rattie's on fire, but don't dismiss the fact that Don Hay's the coach, that Hockey Canada loves the kid and how he plays and that he was one of the last cuts last year.

Still a pretty good list :)

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
I'd disagree with the team that takes him top 10 at this point, I realize he could go there. Not saying he's a bad player or generally overrated even, but don't think he's top 10. I find myself thinking he's overrated defensively.

Actually I assumed he'd get the invite....but Siemens being left off is the surprise for me.

Gotta agree. Never been a huge Ceci fan, although I haven't seen much of him this year, but even last year he never impressed as much as I expected.

Would have invited Siemens. personally.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I had Gallagher next to Phillips and Huberdeau, but changed it to Rattie because he has slightly better point totals.

It's probably be a toss up between those two. Either one could make the team IMO.
With gallagher's coach being team canada's coach he becomes a lock, he would most likely make it anyways though especially after his camp/exhibition games with the habs

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Gotta agree. Never been a huge Ceci fan, although I haven't seen much of him this year, but even last year he never impressed as much as I expected.

He really impressed me last year but not so much this year. He gets caught being on the ice for way too long sometimes and hasn't really progressed like I hope he would.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I'm getting to see a lot of Ceci this year... sort of reminding me of Fowler. I sometimes wish he was a little more "imposing" in terms of the way he applies himself at both ends, but end of the day, he's on the scoresheet and controlling the puck. Fowler was smoother. But with neither player being particularly physically involved, despite having decent size and lots of ice, it can sometimes be taken as a negative or a sign of poor defensive play. But I think that's deceptive. He gets the puck, shields it well enough, and usually makes very good transitional plays, which helps defensively. He doesn't need to be banging bodies. And I don't find that he makes a lot of giveaways either.

Dunno if he makes the team, but I'm generally a fan of Ceci so far.

(And at the same time, not so much a fan of Toffoli... great hands, but I think he needs to find some kind of miracle to get past the problems with his feet - both at the elite junior level of the world stage, and for his chances as a future pro).

Nov 16, 2007
in your head

Maybe you should watch more of Ceci this year then ;)

I watch pretty much every game and the problems i find in his game I really have to look for. There are no obvious deficiencies in his game.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He really impressed me last year but not so much this year. He gets caught being on the ice for way too long sometimes and hasn't really progressed like I hope he would.

I seen a number of people mention that as well. Some think its a symptom of Ottawa having pretty poor D outside of the top 3, their top 3 dmen are logging a lot of minutes. People have been mentioning Ottawa as a memorial cup possibility, but I think they need to add another workhorse D man to have any chance, they are wearing down their top guys at a very fast rate.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I remember the Hockey Canada brass (Bob Nicholson maybe?) stating that future Team Canadas (at least at the WJC level) would get smaller and more skilled. This roster seems to bear that out. Pretty small overall, especially on the blueline.

The thing is Canadians have always had an amazing forechecking physical game that would wear down the competition.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong but that makes it 3 Flames draftees to the camp? Reinhart Ferland and Holland

Holland didn't make it.

Hoping for three Florida prospects on the squad. Petrovic deserves the chance, he's been great. Hopefully Hubs recover in time for the tournament.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Maybe you should watch more of Ceci this year then ;)

I watch pretty much every game and the problems i find in his game I really have to look for. There are no obvious deficiencies in his game.

The one area I would love to see him improve (and I've seen most every home game this year) is to start to separate people from the puck, whereas right now he separates the puck from people (i.e. no big hits, just works it off them with his stick).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Oh, I don't disagree that Siemens should be on the roster. I just think Dumba deserves to be there.

Why do you think Pysyk is a lock? I don't see evidence of this. Murray and Murphy are hurt.

I would love to see Dumba as well, I just don't think it's wise to bring in a player who I don't see making the team than another one which the team lacks. Seems like a terrible scouting/coaching move. Remember Murray didn't make the team last year and he's head and shoulders above Dumba.

If Murray and Murphy are that seriously hurt why are they on the list? Seems they should be both coming back soon.

I believe RS said Pysyk should be a locked and you never doubt RS. :p:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
This could be one of the weakest Canadian teams I've seen in a long time. High end talent is there no question about that, but everything else is blah.

Usually when people say this Canada ends up with a rock solid team and win the gold.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The thing is Canadians have always had an amazing forechecking physical game that would wear down the competition.

I know, but the proof is in the pudding. I'm not saying Team Canada will be a bunch of creampuffs, but it's clear the team will be more finesse-oriented. I'm not sure what has happened to warrant that kind of an approach, but I can clearly remember an official Hockey Canada release on the subject.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Usually when people say this Canada ends up with a rock solid team and win the gold.

That is true. The reality is there is 16 (I believe) NHL first round picks on this eval camp roster with several draft eligibles that will also be first rounders. The talent is there. The only possible areas of concern are relative lack of experience and some iffy goaltending.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
So many people said they would be shocked if MacKinnon didn't get an invite, are those people still shocked?

I would love to see Dumba as well, I just don't think it's wise to bring in a player who I don't see making the team than another one which the team lacks. Seems like a terrible scouting/coaching move. Remember Murray didn't make the team last year and he's head and shoulders above Dumba.

If Murray and Murphy are that seriously hurt why are they on the list? Seems they should be both coming back soon.

I believe RS said Pysyk should be a locked and you never doubt RS. :p:

I don't know about Murray but Murphy is supposed to be back playing this weekend so unless he has a set back he'll be ready.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
don't follow the CHL that much but I thought I'd throw a lineup out there just for the hell of it to see if others think I'm close or way off:

Jaden Schwartz - Mark Scheifele - Mark Stone
Jonathan Huberdeau - Ryan Strome - Zack Phillips
Quinton Howden - Tyler Toffoli - Brendan Gallagher
Brad Ross - Boone Jenner - Brett Bulmer
Tanner Pearson

Brandon Gormley - Dougie Hamilton
Ryan Murphy - Mark Pysyk
Jamie Oleksiak - Nathan Beaulieu
Matt Dumba

Mark Visentin
Tyler Bunz

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
My early guess

Huberdeau Scheifele Phillips
Stone McNeil Ferland
Howden Strome Toffoli
Bulmer Danult Ross
Gallagher

Murray Hamilton
Morrow Petrovic
Dumba Pysyk
Murphy

Visentin
Bunz

GM17*

So many people said they would be shocked if MacKinnon didn't get an invite, are those people still shocked?

Considering he didn't, one would assume they are? lol what a question.

Many people said they wouldn't be shocked if MacKinnon didn't get an invite, are those people still not shocked?

:biglaugh:

anyways...I think Huberdeau Phillips Stone would make a good line. Maybe Strome plays wing with Schwartz + Scheifele

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad