GDT: Canada Vs USA pre tournament GDT 12noon ET

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I think Canada is clearly ahead of us. And I don’t know that we’ll ever catch them….the cultural way the countries view the sport makes it an uphill climb for sure. But it’s been really fun closing the gap. Every time we play Canada, I feel like we have a legit chance to win. Hasn’t always been that way. No reason to think we won’t keep chipping away.

Reactions: jj cale

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Insecurity by failing to accept that USA Hockey has come a long way the past 20 years

Who said they haven't come a long way?

I was willing to cut the time frame we looked at down to the last 20 years suggesting that was when they started to become more competitive and even then give them a few more years to grow after winning. How is that acknowledging that the program has grown?

The problem is (for the US tire pumpers) even that isn't enough to have them overtake Canada. And for the current argument none of that means that Canada shouldn't expect to win every time they play them.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Who said they haven't come a long way?

I was willing to cut the time frame we looked at down to the last 20 years suggesting that was when they started to become more competitive and even then give them a few more years to grow after winning. How is that acknowledging that the program has grown?

The problem is (for the US tire pumpers) even that isn't enough to have them overtake Canada. And for the current argument none of that means that Canada shouldn't expect to win every time they play them.
If you are expecting Canada to beat the US in this tournament that is simply proof of your insecurity and Canadian homerism. You are lying to yourself if you there isnt a small part of you that thinks the US is stronger this year

Reactions: Konk

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
If you are expecting Canada to beat the US in this tournament that is simply proof of your insecurity and Canadian homerism. You are lying to yourself if you there isnt a small part of you that thinks the US is stronger this year

Again it has nothing to do with insecurity and everything to do with a program on Canada's success. There is zero reason with the talent we have and past history to think we can't win every game we play and every WJHC tournament we enter.

It is the opposite of insecurity, you trying to spin it there is silly and maybe speaks more about you than anything. I would expect the same feelings from Russian fans when they are in the tournament, New Zealand teams in rugby, US basketball teams internationally etc. Top teams should always expect to win.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Again it has nothing to do with insecurity and everything to do with a program on Canada's success. There is zero reason with the talent we have and past history to think we can't win every game we play and every WJHC tournament we enter.

It is the opposite of insecurity, you trying to spin it there is silly and maybe speaks more about you than anything. I would expect the same feelings from Russian fans when they are in the tournament, New Zealand teams in rugby, US basketball teams internationally etc. Top teams should always expect to win.
I can’t speak for Russian fans but I would be surprised if they thought they were the favorites to win every tournament they are in. I have zero knowledge of rugby. USA basketball is a different animal considering they are the heavy heavy favorites in any international competition. Canada isn’t the favorite to win this tournament despite what you think. Vegas disagrees with you and if you are so confident you would be wise to bet a large sum of money on Canafa winning since they aren’t the favorites

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.

You can hope and want to win every game, that’s your right and it’s true Canada often has the ability to win every game they play, but it’s also unrealistic to expect that and be mad when it doesn’t happen. The talent globally has come a long way and all teams are capable of winning on any given day. It’s not that Canada isn’t as good as they once were, I think they produce a ton of high end talent and all around players, it’s just that the USA, Czechia, Slovakia, Finland, Sweden, Germany, have all gotten a lot better. It’s good for the health of the tournament imo.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I can’t speak for Russian fans but I would be surprised if they thought they were the favorites to win every tournament they are in. I have zero knowledge of rugby. USA basketball is a different animal considering they are the heavy heavy favorites in any international competition. Canada isn’t the favorite to win this tournament despite what you think. Vegas disagrees with you and if you are so confident you would be wise to bet a large sum of money on Canafa winning since they aren’t the favorites

There is a difference between being the favorites and thinking you can win every game. As mentioned with the talent Canada always has, there history at the tournament there is no reason to think they can't win every game, every tournament.

it is very possible and not unlikely Canada wins this tournament favorite or not. Sorry if that bothers you but it is the truth.

You can hope and want to win every game, that’s your right and it’s true Canada often has the ability to win every game they play, but it’s also unrealistic to expect that and be mad when it doesn’t happen. The talent globally has come a long way and all teams are capable of winning on any given day. It’s not that Canada isn’t as good as they once were, I think they produce a ton of high end talent and all around players, it’s just that the USA, Czechia, Slovakia, Finland, Sweden, Germany, have all gotten a lot better. It’s good for the health of the tournament imo.

I think it is fair to be mad when your team loses when it is as good at every Canadian WJHC is.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
There is a difference between being the favorites and thinking you can win every game. As mentioned with the talent Canada always has, there history at the tournament there is no reason to think they can't win every game, every tournament.
Except for the fact that it's never happened, because hockey is a game of chance. Even if they were the best team in every game they've played (they usually are), the last 20 years tells us it actually is unreasonable to think a team can win every game in every tournament.

They have great odds at winning this tournament any given year. The odds of them going undefeated every year are precisely zero.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
USA has a great program. I wouldn’t read too much into wjc when us has their best, Canada doesn’t have bedard or fantilli and graduate the most eligible players to the nhl.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Except for the fact that it's never happened, because hockey is a game of chance. Even if they were the best team in every game they've played (they usually are), the last 20 years tells us it actually is unreasonable to think a team can win every game in every tournament.

They have great odds at winning this tournament any given year. The odds of them going undefeated every year are precisely zero.

What are you talking about? It has happened. Are you claiming teams haven't gone undefeated?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

it is very possible and not unlikely Canada wins this tournament favorite or not. Sorry if that bothers you but it is the truth.

I think it is fair to be mad when your team loses when it is as good at every Canadian WJHC is.
Nice then go put your money where your mouth is. If you think Canada will win every game, and are so certain the Americans won’t beat them, then go put your entire life savings on Canada

What are you talking about? It has happened. Are you claiming teams haven't gone undefeated?
What? Did you even read what he said

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's 5-4 in terms of Gold Medals for Canada-USA since 2010. Anything before doesn't really matter as USA wasn't churning out players back then like they are now, the 2008 NHL Draft had a 124-42 (58.8 % and 19.9 % of total draftees) advantage Canada in terms of Draftees, the league demos look nothing like that now. USA had 5 medals in total before 2010 over like 32 years, and has won 9 since 2010, which is like 14 years. It's obviously a big difference.

NM917 is just trying to rile people up, and all serious observers would say Canada is still the top nation (and has won 4 out of the last 6 world juniors to back it up) but the gap is much less than it was historically and the USA has a chance anytime they face off these days.

Last edited:

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Nice then go put your money where your mouth is. If you think Canada will win every game, and are so certain the Americans won’t beat them, then go put your entire life savings on Canada

What? Did you even read what he said

Expecting them to win and betting on them to win are two different things, this isn’t hard to understand and yet here you are struggling to keep up.

Yes I did.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Expecting them to win and betting on them to win are two different things, this isn’t hard to understand and yet here you are struggling to keep up.

Yes I did.
They are directly correlated with one another and you won’t stfu about it. So go put your money where your mouth is. I figure by now you are just trolling

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It is actually.
You sure about that? Because my point was that it's not reasonable expect to win every game of every tournament. Here is a recap for you, try to use your excellent reading skills to follow along:
there is no reason to think they can't win every game, every tournament.
Except for the fact that it's never happened.... it actually is unreasonable to think a team can win every game in every tournament.

By my math, Canada has lost something like 23 of 92 WJC games since 2010. That's a .750 win percentage - clearly an impressive winning record. But probabilistically, a .750 team would have, on average, a 13.3% chance of going undefeated in a given 7 game tournament.

Interestingly enough, this seems to be supported by the data, as Canada has only swept the tournament twice in that span (14% of the time).

Even for an elite team like Canada, sweeping back to back tournaments would only happen about 1.8% of the time:

# of consecutive WJC sweepsp(x)
113.3%
21.8%
30.24%
40.03%
50.004%

Realistically, we'll probably never see a team sweep 3 tournaments in a row. Heck, as "weaker" nations like Slovakia, Germany, and Switzerland continue to close the gap, we'll be lucky to see 2 consecutive sweeps in our lifetime.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
You sure about that? Because my point was that it's not reasonable expect to win every game of every tournament. Here is a recap for you, try to use your excellent reading skills to follow along:

By my math, Canada has lost something like 23 of 92 WJC games since 2010. That's a .750 win percentage - clearly an impressive winning record. But probabilistically, a .750 team would have, on average, a 13.3% chance of going undefeated in a given 7 game tournament.

Interestingly enough, this seems to be supported by the data, as Canada has only swept the tournament twice in that span (14% of the time).

Even for an elite team like Canada, sweeping back to back tournaments would only happen about 1.8% of the time:

# of consecutive WJC sweepsp(x)
113.3%
21.8%
30.24%
40.03%
50.004%

Realistically, we'll probably never see a team sweep 3 tournaments in a row. Heck, as "weaker" nations like Slovakia, Germany, and Switzerland continue to close the gap, we'll be lucky to see 2 consecutive sweeps in our lifetime.

Yes sure of it, just because you did a bad job of relating your point doesn't have any impact on my reading.

And yes it is reasonable to expect a top, elite team to win every game it plays.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yes sure of it, just because you did a bad job of relating your point doesn't have any impact on my reading.
"Canada should win every game in every tournament."
"No team has ever won every game of every tournament"
"Are you claiming teams haven't gone undefeated?

Considering I wasn't the only poster to criticize your reading comprehension, maybe you practice some introspection.

And yes it is reasonable to expect a top, elite team to win every game it plays.
Do you think last year's Boston Bruins expected to go 82-0? Because they had a higher winning percentage than Canada's WJC team has had over the last 15+ years.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
"Canada should win every game in every tournament."
"No team has ever won every game of every tournament"
"Are you claiming teams haven't gone undefeated?

Considering I wasn't the only poster to criticize your reading comprehension, maybe you practice some introspection.

Not sure the other person that questioned it really bolsters your point considering what they have "contributed" to the thread so far.

Do you think last year's Boston Bruins expected to go 82-0? Because they had a higher winning percentage than Canada's WJC team has had over the last 15+ years.

I expect every time Boston plays they expect they will win the game yes.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
They are directly correlated with one another and you won’t stfu about it. So go put your money where your mouth is. I figure by now you are just trolling
Why does he have to gamble his life savings?

Because he thinks Canada will win?

Odd.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino