GDT: Canada vs Česko

Status
Not open for further replies.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
A whole 7 years in the history of the tournament?? Wow!

What about all the other years?

Also the Americans never do it because they rarely win. Kinda hard to claim “we the best” when that’s the case.
I said Canada is the best now, but being superior means that you are basically untouchable. Any given day, any of the top 5 nations can beat Canada, that's not superior. You are the best, not superior which has been my point all the time. Americans will be the best in few years, because they are likely take over the throne, but not superior.

• Haha
Reactions: Samhockey3

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
WJC, Canada for many years sent Memorial cup teams.
Olympics, Canada for many years sent amateurs.
The 72 Series where out of shape NHL players beat a well oiled Soviet team on hostel ice defined Canadian hockey for ever.
The '72 series wasn't just played in Russia. It was split and Canada sucked in Canada.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
For some reason you didn't include WHC :laugh::laugh:
To truly understand the depth of how little Canada regards that tournament, you'd have to live here and be a part of Hockey Canada. Trust me, winning tournament that is about is less important to Canadians as getting the full set of hockey cards as Tim Hortons. Players stay home from that tournament because they have golf trips planned or weddings to attend.

Reactions: Voight

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I said Canada is the best now, but being superior means that you are basically untouchable. Any given day, any of the top 5 nations can beat Canada, that's not superior. You are the best, not superior which has been my point all the time. Americans will be the best in few years, because they are likely take over the throne, but not superior.
McDavid is clearly superior than anyone else, yet sometimes someone else beats him.

When like 99% of the all time greats are Canadian, when the vast majority of medals are Canadian, when the vast majority of NHL players are Canadian… yeah you’re superior.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
That’s a real hard one for the Canada haters to admit.

i know I’m in agreement with you.

I was showing that even when you include the absolute best of Russia/Soviet Union they still come up way behind Canada.

There’s no one close right now. It’s like you said in short tournaments there will be countries who can beat Canada here and there, but as a whole Canada is still way ahead of everyone else
Yeah, I was replying to two people at once. I edited to make it clearer. Sorry bud.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
damn, I really did embarrass myself here! :facepalm:

Honestly enjoyed it all, especially the facts. Like how registered player counts somehow undermine dominance in a sport. Gotta scratch your head because in that regard all of Czechia + Canada is still less than USA. Not to mention what that says about USA dominance of basketball with 20-some million more registered players than any other nation. 🥴
This whole superiority and dominance thing wouldn't be even discussed here if you Canadian hockey fans wouldn't repeat it all the time like a broken record.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
To truly understand the depth of how little Canada regards that tournament, you'd have to live here and be a part of Hockey Canada. Trust me, winning tournament that is about is less important to Canadians as getting the full set of hocke cards as Tim Hortons. Players stay home from that tournament because they have golf trips planned or weddings to attend.
I have lived and played hockey in Canada, i know that. That's not the point, because back in the day Canada sent very strong teams there so didn't see any reason not to count those medals. And other teams send their b teams aswell so.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
This whole superiority and dominance thing wouldn't be even discussed here if you Canadian hockey fans wouldn't repeat it all the time like a broken record.
It's because people like yourself will bring up the WHC or Spengler Cup to try and make it seem like Canada isn't going to win best on best tournaments.

This is why I get so pissed at all the pencil necks at the NHL, NHLPA and IIHF. Get your crap together, lets put McDavid, Crosby and any Canadian with a hockey stick on a line and put this debate to bed...again...for a couple of years.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
It's because people like yourself will bring up the WHC or Spengler Cup to try and make it seem like Canada isn't going to win best on best tournaments.

This is why I get so pissed at all the pencil necks at the NHL, NHLPA and IIHF. Get your crap together, lets put McDavid, Crosby and any Canadian with a hockey stick on a line and put this debate to bed...again...for a couple of years.
Nah, that record starts to play immediately after you've won. We have to see best on best tournament to find out, it's equally hilarious to think that Canada would just walk over USA and others on a best on best.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

I'm still waiting on them to allow Russian teens to play again.

It's a travesty that they haven't been included. :help:

Reactions: Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Nah, that record starts to play immediately after you've won. We have to see best on best tournament to find out, it's equally hilarious to think that Canada would just walk over USA and others on a best on best.
I mean we’ve won like 5/6 of the last BoB at the mens level so…

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Man, you've got to walk away from this at some point, the game doesn't even involve your team.

And you know perfectly well the bullshit gloating and bragging that goes on whenever Finland or any other team wins this thing or other tournaments, it's a brag fest from so many, same as with Canadian fans. The trolling in Canada threads is also easily the worst for any team, every fans nations pile on with their worst guys., stop trying to convince us we are the bad guys around here.

We are no better or no worse then the lot of you and you damn well know that, you've been here long enough to know it and you're far from stupid.

Time to stop bringing out this overplayed old fiddle tune tournament after tournament..

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Man, you've got to walk away from this at some point, the game doesn't even involve your team.

And you know perfectly well the bullshit gloating and bragging that goes on whenever Finland or any other team wins this thing or other tournaments, it's a brag fest from so many, same as with Canadian fans. The trolling in Canada threads is also easily the worst for any team, every fans nations pile on with their worst guys., stop trying to convince us we are the bad guys around here.

We are no better or no worse then the lot of you and you damn well know that, you've been here long enough to know it and you're far from stupid.

Time to stop bringing out this overplayed old fiddle tune tournament after tournament..
You're right, congrats for the win you've been always fair when winning or losing.

Reactions: jj cale

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
WJC, Canada for many years sent Memorial cup teams.
Olympics, Canada for many years sent amateurs.
The 72 Series where out of shape NHL players beat a well oiled Soviet team on hostel ice defined Canadian hockey for ever.

If you know your history, the Soviets weren't a well oiled machine in 1972. It was a team fractured by political infighting who had no experience in a Stanley Cup-like extended series format.
In many ways it was Canada who had the advantage.

• Haha

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
When exactly was the Soviet Union superior? Since best-on-best tournaments started with the Summit Series, here are the results:

Summit Series: Canada
Canada Cup: Canada won 4 out of 5 Cups, Soviets 1.
Word Cup of Hockey: Canada won 2 out of 3 (Soviet Union didn't exist, Russia didn't win any)
Olympics (starting with 1998 when pros were first allowed to play): Canada won 3 out of 7 (Again no Soviets but Russia won 1)

That's 16 best on best tournaments that Canada and either the Soviets or Russia competed in. Canada has won 10, Soviets/Russia 2.

So again, when did this Soviet superiority occur?

Not true at all in best-on-best tournaments. See my post above.
1963-1976 the soviets dominated world championship games....

look it up in wikipedia..

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Keep your cookie, we’ve already got the gold medal

Yeah and the NHL cast off routinely end up top players in the KHL while many KHL stars flame out in the NHL..

It’s really weird trying to say the Canadian program “isn’t all that great” when they simply just mop the floor with everyone else.

Lol exactly, the double standards and obvious salt on here is so funny. If any other country managed back to back world junior golds all we'd hear about is their utter dominance and how the future is all that country.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
We've beat you many times during recent years, your excuses were equally fun to listen. Were you one of them who sent hate email to the stick manufacturers?

These same mouthbreathers have been pain in my back for the past few years, win or lose. Always same mantra about Canada being superior, even if they get their asses kicked.

Maybe we're discussing semantics, but Canada has always been the #1 hockey nation. That however doesn't mean they've always had the #1 national team.
The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Notice the difference between population and registered hockey players.

The US has more registered hockey players than Canada. Yet Canada still wins more often, again this registered players mumbo jumbo has been thoroughly debunked, it's time to stop grasping at that.

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 12.25.38 PM.png

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

Lol based on what though? Canada has had much more success at junior levels than Americans have in recent years. There isn't any indicators to suggest this.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

The fact is you're just denying history, look at all the best vs best tournaments that have taken place, Canada has won pretty much all of them, no other country has won more than 1. So yes there is actually merit when Canadians say our best team will walk over other teams. It's backed up by actual data, this is the part you seem to be forgetting.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
McDavid is clearly superior than anyone else, yet sometimes someone else beats him.

When like 99% of the all time greats are Canadian, when the vast majority of medals are Canadian, when the vast majority of NHL players are Canadian… yeah you’re superior.
if canadians were so "superior", why do canadian hockey players decide to take on american citizenship when they play for american NHL teams?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes