GDT: Canada vs Česko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
A whole 7 years in the history of the tournament?? Wow!

What about all the other years?

Also the Americans never do it because they rarely win. Kinda hard to claim “we the best” when that’s the case.
They had fans claiming they were the best team this tourney even though Canada easily beat them 6-2

I said Canada is the best now, but being superior means that you are basically untouchable. Any given day, any of the top 5 nations can beat Canada, that's not superior. You are the best, not superior which has been my point all the time. Americans will be the best in few years, because they are likely take over the throne, but not superior.
Being superior and untouchable aren’t the same thing.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
The future of Canadian hockey is in excellent hands, the World Juniors are an excellent barometer of hockey development and Canada has been on an incredibly impressive run of late.

Congrats to Czechia on the silver and breaking the medal drought. I can see the Czechs becoming a more frequent face in the top 3 in the coming years.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
1963-1976 the soviets dominated world championship games....

look it up in wikipedia..

Not sure what you are getting at here….Team Canada during those years were simply amateurs, nowhere near the best players Canada could have come up with…they likely could have put together 15 better teams than what they went with at that time

if canadians were so "superior", why do canadian hockey players decide to take on american citizenship when they play for american NHL teams?
This is a very weird question. 1) players don’t decide who drafts them, 2) not all players decide to get their US citizenship, 3) if you are living in a country for most of the year for work, I’m sure there would be lots of advantages to getting your citizenship as well vs not getting it.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
My game day experience: had a yoga class booked starting at 6:30 BC time (can’t skip because it’s needed rehab and strength training) but I had recorded the game with extra time in case the game ran long. So I left at the end of regulation and scrupulously avoided media so as to not find out the result.

Came home to watch the overtime. Recording stopped at the 14:09 mark of OT. GWG scored at 13:38.

Moral of the story: don’t suffer a leg injury that requires rehab.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Not really. Even in hockey hotbeds, football is far, far more popular. And socio-economic factors play a larger roll considering the deparity of wealth in this country is horrible.

If all our middle linebacker or DB freaks of nature played hockey, yeah, we'd be producing Bedards like hotcakes.

No, that's pretty much true. Think of how many people live in the Midwest and northern states. Weird fact, I once added up more than 30M people that live north of Canada's most southern point (Pelee Island south of Windsor, ON - people in Canada literally live south of the northern California border). That's almost as many Americans as our entire population that live north of "Canada". :)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Marc Methot on his podcast was pretty frank about how much more money he made in Dallas compared with Ottawa given the tax situation there.

He still ended up coming back to Canada to raise his kids, but I can see a lot of guys putting down roots in the States, particularly if they’ve been there a long time.

But it isn’t unidirectional.

Radek Bonk’s son Oliver is Canadian, for example, and played for Canada at the 2022 Hlinka tournament.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Marc Methot on his podcast was pretty frank about how much more money he made in Dallas compared with Ottawa given the tax situation there.

He still ended up coming back to Canada to raise his kids, but I can see a lot of guys putting down roots in the States, particularly if they’ve been there a long time.

But it isn’t unidirectional.

Radek Bonk’s son Oliver is Canadian, for example, and played for Canada at the 2022 Hlinka tournament.

It's not even just that. Who wouldn't take advantage of giving their kids duel citizenship in both the US and Canada if possible and super easy? Everyone would. Has nothing to do with whose country is "better".

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The US has more registered hockey players than Canada. Yet Canada still wins more often, again this registered players mumbo jumbo has been thoroughly debunked, it's time to stop grasping at that.

View attachment 631337
Not really a fan of that. A bitter indication of player interest is ice rinks
1673039564128.png

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Meh. I say let them play. We want the best on best. 17 years old kids are irrelevant to whatever goes on in a country.

They are very relevant, they are part of the potential force of opposition for war.

The desire for sports, freedom, and enjoyment of life is what ends tyrannical regimes.

So China has more player interest in hockey than Sweden, Finland, Czech going by this lol.

More players in China, but no tradition of excellence and little knowledge.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
They are very relevant, they are part of the potential force of opposition for war.

The desire for sports, freedom, and enjoyment of life is what ends tyrannical regimes.

More players in China, but no tradition of excellence and little knowledge.

Russia has been living under tyranny for centuries. Just the way it is for whatever historical reason.

We competed against them when they were the Soviet Union, which was de facto the same shit happening now, except it was a fait accompli.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Russia has been living under tyranny for centuries. Just the way it is for whatever historical reason.

We competed against them when they were the Soviet Union, which was de facto the same shit happening now, except it was a fait accompli.

I agree but something is different now. It's really the first time they attempt a war on the rest of us (vs. internally). There is a price to be paid, it will be a hefty price.

Reactions: Jablkon

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I agree but something is different now. It's really the first time they attempt a war on the rest of us (vs. internally). There is a price to be paid, it will be a hefty price.

Huh? The Soviet Union invaded several countries in its history, didn't they? Starting with Poland.

For the others, my only hesitation is I'm not sure what the map was prior to the Soviet Union. Regardless, they had their boot on several non-Russian minorities/nations.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Huh? The Soviet Union invaded several countries in its history, didn't they? Starting with Poland.

For the others, my only hesitation is I'm not sure what the map was prior to the Soviet Union. Regardless, they had their boot on several non-Russian minorities/nations.

I'm talking post WW2...

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
That's what I said (outside of internal repression).

Sorry but I don't see the big difference. I'm no Putin fan. But he's not worse than Soviet leaders and we let their athletes compete against ours.

If you want to argue that our ethics have changed, OK.

I still think they should let them play.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Sorry but I don't see the big difference. I'm no Putin fan. But he's not worse than Soviet leaders and we let their athletes compete against ours.

If you want to argue that our ethics have changed, OK.

I still think they should let them play.

I think our ethics should have changed some time ago, now it's done.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Not sure what you are getting at here….Team Canada during those years were simply amateurs, nowhere near the best players Canada could have come up with…they likely could have put together 15 better teams than what they went with at that time

This is a very weird question. 1) players don’t decide who drafts them, 2) not all players decide to get their US citizenship, 3) if you are living in a country for most of the year for work, I’m sure there would be lots of advantages to getting your citizenship as well vs not getting it.
It's pretty simple their life is elsewhere. Playing in the CHL they leave home at 16 their adult life likely begins in the USA. Career, marriage, connections, financial opportunity after hockey. It's not like they can go back to Smooth Rock Falls after 9 years in Chicago.

This bothers me greatly as a Canadian, our best and brightest leaving for somewhere else and not just hockey players. I wish our universities would offer hockey scholarships at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad