WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
You can't really go wrong with a memorial cup winning goalie tho thats for sure.

Can't go wrong with a 2-time WHL Goalie of the Year (about to be 3rd) who was also the CHL Goalie of the Year and will probably be again. That's not even mentioning Colton Point who is an absolute monster and if he played for Erie last season DiPietro wouldn't have "Memorial Cup Winner" on his resume. There's nothing wrong with DiPietro waiting a year for his chance at the WJC and right now he's easily the front runner for the 2019 WJC starting position.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Team Canada

Forwards:
Steenbergen - Steel - Kyrou
Dube - McLeod - Raddysh
Howden - Glass - Lind
Gadjovich - Thomas - Suzuki

13th Forward: Formenton

Defensemen:
Clague - Fabbro
Bean - Makar
Cholowski - Foote

7th DMan: Timmins

Really skeptical about Jake Bean on this team but unless Mete gets loaned and knowing how HC leans toward returnees he's got that spot locked down at the moment. His game has gone downward since his draft year. Hopefully Mahura gives him a run for his money.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Can't go wrong with a 2-time WHL Goalie of the Year (about to be 3rd) who was also the CHL Goalie of the Year and will probably be again. That's not even mentioning Colton Point who is an absolute monster and if he played for Erie last season DiPietro wouldn't have "Memorial Cup Winner" on his resume. There's nothing wrong with DiPietro waiting a year for his chance at the WJC and right now he's easily the front runner for the 2019 WJC starting position.
Considering that DiPietro beat the powerhouse Otters in that tournament twice, I'd say he's the front runner for the backup position. You'd have to be pretty good to stop the likes of Mat Barzal, Dylan Strome (twice), and Thomas Chabot (World Juniors MVP last year) in a short tournament, especially one with all the champion teams from their respective leagues. Not discrediting the other goalies either, Harvey was terrific in the Q series and Point has been lights out on a weak Colgate team, but in my mind DiPietro is easily the favorite for backup in Buffalo.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don’t see a correlation between them disbanding the camp and not being successful. The correlation between Canada winning and losing that I see is that other countries development systems have caught up to Canada’s and ours have stagnated.

I don’t see how bringing two teams to camp this year and having them duke it out for a roster spot, somehow makes the team better when the tournament opens. You can only be as good as the talent that’s available to you.

The correlation is that in the 90s and 2000s Canada had large camps that were noted for their intensity, and Canada won more than 50% of the tournaments in those decades. Early in this decade Canada shrunk the camp down and intensity dropped as they had fewer (now no) games between the players competing to make the team. Whether you believe that it is the cause, which you seem to be confusing correlation for, is a different matter. The way Canada conducts the camp now though implies that for many players the team is already picked. There is nothing wrong with pushing these players hard for a few days more than a week before the tournament begins.

Reactions: francis246

Wadd

Nov 8, 2015
Batherson looks great on the PP. Little crappy in his own (somebody already mentioned this) and looks average 5 on 5. But he looks like he does his damage on the power play. He did in the Russian/Can series. And I know you're saying there's more to it then just the couple games against the Russians in November but Batherson will make this team.

Reactions: Emerz

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Nobody from the Q = Much better team. No soft, so called "skilled" players only on the team due to their stats being inflated because they barely play D in that league. You win with boys from the dub and O.

Tippett is horrendous away from the puck and has played very poor since being sent back to junior. Just because he was a high pick doesn't give him precedence over the better players who made the selection camp.

But did you miss the part where I said he played in the NHL, he really can't be that poor if he made Florida, we aren't even talking about making the team here, just an invite to camp, you really don't think he at least deserved a look, unless Florida are not good at picking and judging their players.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
How does Joe Veleno, Cliff Pu, Owen Tippett, Pierre-Olivier Jospeh etc get left off. Canada needs to go back to the old way of evaluating and invite 50-60 guys to camp and take the best available. Enough of this short list bull****

Joseph is another huge guy to not even invite, best player from the Q is not going, absurd.

Reactions: francis246

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Rasmussen has only played one game the last 3.5 weeks. HC might know more than we do about his health, or not want to risk bringing him only to get hurt early. He was a guy who was going to be borderline on making it anyways. Tippett I really don't know many people who are fans of how he plays, polarizing player who hasn't played a lot this year. I'm sure he'll get a long look next year

Well he's also a guy that brings something no one else does, at least at forward, nice to have options, should have at least been invited if the health was good.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Considering that DiPietro beat the powerhouse Otters in that tournament twice, I'd say he's the front runner for the backup position. You'd have to be pretty good to stop the likes of Mat Barzal, Dylan Strome (twice), and Thomas Chabot (World Juniors MVP last year) in a short tournament, especially one with all the champion teams from their respective leagues. Not discrediting the other goalies either, Harvey was terrific in the Q series and Point has been lights out on a weak Colgate team, but in my mind DiPietro is easily the favorite for backup in Buffalo.

Colton Point is being underrated around here because the majority of the board hasn't been exposed to him like they have been to DiPietro. We all got to watch DiPietro last season and especially in the Memorial Cup where he had memorable moments so naturally public opinion is going to be swayed towards him over a goalie that played in Jr. A. Let's not forget that Point had his own heroics in his draft year from being the CCHL Playoff MVP to consistently robbing Fabbro/Jost in the Jr. A All-Star game. We're seeing Point reach his potential of being the monster goalie coaches have been talking about since his draft year, DiPietro is not easily the favourite and if he is in the eyes of Hockey Canada I'll be disappointed that they aren't looking at this objectively and instead opting in favour of hype/some ridiculous idea of intangibles.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I'm not sure why DiPietro has suddenly emerged as the pretty clear backup, certainly Point and maybe Harvey has a shot.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Well he's also a guy that brings something no one else does, at least at forward, nice to have options, should have at least been invited if the health was good.

Doesnt Gadjovich kind of bring similar things to the table? Big strong net presence in front with physicality. Gadjovich has also been a better goal scorer in both seasons (60 goals in 79 games). And has chemistry with Suzuki.

Last edited:

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
DiPietro and Point are certainly battling for the back up spot. Harvey has an outside chance too, you can’t deny how good he’s been this season.

To me the front runners are Point and DiPietro.

Point: His play this season speaks for itself, he’s been bar none the best goalie in the NCAA this season. He’s a huge goalie, 6’4 220, doesn’t seem to get rattled in the net, plays a strong game positionally and does a good job controlling his rebounds. He’s going to be a real tough guy to cut if he performs at camp.

DiPietro: He’s been a stud the last two years, was easily the best draft eligible goalie last year in my opinion. He’s not the biggest guy in net at only 6’0 but he does a real good job of making himself big in the net. He never quits on a play, oozes confidence in the net and is real quick, which makes up for his last of size.

If I was picking this team, which obviously I’m not, DiPietro would be my guy. I think he’s slightly better than Point but it’s really close. It would come down to whomever performed better at camp for that backup role.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Doesnt Gadjovich kind of bring similar things to the table? Big strong net presence in front with physicality. Gadjovich has also been a better goal scorer in both seasons (60 goals in 79 games). And has chemistry with Suzuki.

Yes, but Gadjovich is a LW and Rasmussen is a C. Maybe HC were looking for more production though from him, as he's been scoring the same as he did last year.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
But did you miss the part where I said he played in the NHL, he really can't be that poor if he made Florida, we aren't even talking about making the team here, just an invite to camp, you really don't think he at least deserved a look, unless Florida are not good at picking and judging their players.

I only saw him in one game for Florida and he didn't get a lot of playing time in that game so I can't comment on his play there but he's been bad since being sent down. I get what you're saying, but why bring a guy you have no intention of putting on the roster. I think they wanted someone a little more dynamic and responsible. To answer your question, no, I don't think he deserved a look. The guys they invited are more deserving. Tippett reminds me a lot of Virtanen so maybe the latter's poor WJC showing put a bad taste in my mouth in regards to Tippett.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
based on the invite list Hockey Canada probably goes for predominately 19 year old roster. I've never liked or agreed with that strategy. I wouldn't have players like Gadjovich on my team, but he's 19, and in Hockey Canada's world that trumps skill. I really hope Steenbergen goes beastly on the tournament. It would be a pleasant surprise.

Canada will forgo it's 2 goalie policy this year to get dual citizen Point locked in. Hockey Canada and politics.

4 returnees for next year in Van/Victoria.

If Jost is made available, then 1 of Glass/Thomas/Suzuki likely gets cut. my guess would be Suzuki.

If Mete is made available, then most likely Timmins gets cut, although it probably should be Bean. but Bean is Hockey Canada's favorite for some reason.

T STEENBERGEN

S STEEL

J KYROU

B KATCHOUK

M MCLEOD

T RADDYSH

D DUBE

C GLASS

R THOMAS

J GADJOVICH

B HOWDEN

K LIND
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

N SUZUKI
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

K CLAGUE

C MAKAR

D CHOLOWSKI

D FABBRO

J BEAN

C FOOTE

C TIMMINS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

C HART

M DIPIETRO

C POINT
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Scrantonicity 2

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
W
based on the invite list Hockey Canada probably goes for predominately 19 year old roster. I've never liked or agreed with that strategy. I wouldn't have players like Gadjovich on my team, but he's 19, and in Hockey Canada's world that trumps skill. I really hope Steenbergen goes beastly on the tournament. It would be a pleasant surprise.

Canada will forgo it's 2 goalie policy this year to get dual citizen Point locked in. Hockey Canada and politics.

4 returnees for next year in Van/Victoria.

If Jost is made available, then 1 of Glass/Thomas/Suzuki likely gets cut. my guess would be Suzuki.

If Mete is made available, then most likely Timmins gets cut, although it probably should be Bean. but Bean is Hockey Canada's favorite for some reason.

T STEENBERGENS STEELJ KYROU
B KATCHOUKM MCLEODT RADDYSH
D DUBEC GLASSR THOMAS
J GADJOVICHB HOWDENK LIND
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
N SUZUKI
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
K CLAGUEC MAKAR
D CHOLOWSKID FABBRO
J BEANC FOOTE
C TIMMINS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
C HART
M DIPIETRO
C POINT
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ell,

That is a damned if you do damned if you don't situation there though. If they had not invited him people would be screaming that he was overlooked just because of politics and him being not a CHL but NCAA guy. You can pin a lot of things on HC and rightly so but I don't think this case deserves them getting slack.

I am glad he was invited considering the state of our goaltending lately, maybe he is a guy who can help and i don't see anything sinister in his inclusion.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well,

That is a damned if you do damned if you don't situation there though. If they had not invited him people would be screaming that he was overlooked just because of politics and him being not a CHL but NCAA guy. You can pin a lot of things on HC and rightly so but I don't think this case deserves them getting slack.

I am glad he was invited considering the state of our goaltending lately, maybe he is a guy who can help and i don't see anything sinister in his inclusion.

I will be disappointed if they bring Point after he revealed his intentions. Hart is the starter already, DiPietro can get experience for next year, Harvey can be insurance in case Canada loses a goaltender.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Odd question maybe but want to ask, given betting WHL and OHL. ;)

But yeah, any idea when camp starts if camp players play for their respective teams? Or do they come back after WJC?

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
Drake Batherson is playing tonight. First game since suffering a hand injury on November 19th.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
I will be disappointed if they bring Point after he revealed his intentions. Hart is the starter already, DiPietro can get experience for next year, Harvey can be insurance in case Canada loses a goaltender.

i dont see a problem at all with bringing Point

Time and Time again, year after year, our CHL goalies have disappointed in this tournament...last good one was Price...and this was over 10 years ago

time and time we were high on our goalies and each time they lay a stink bomb

The NCAA goalies seem to do much better than our CHL goalies overall in the past 10 years or so...

so, why not bring Point to see what he can do...if he can beat out Hart, then good

I wish them the Best and may the best gaolie win the starting job

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
i dont see a problem at all with bringing Point

Time and Time again, year after year, our CHL goalies have disappointed in this tournament...last good one was Price...and this was over 10 years ago

time and time we were high on our goalies and each time they lay a stink bomb

The NCAA goalies seem to do much better than our CHL goalies overall in the past 10 years or so...

so, why not bring Point to see what he can do...if he can beat out Hart, then good

I wish them the Best and may the best gaolie win the starting job

I don't care about Point playing in the NCAA. The team could be filled with NCAA players and that would be fine, provided those players were the best available. I don't like Point's quote that he was looking to play for either Canada or USA depending on whichever team gave him the best opportunity. Not interested in such a player. Possibly even less so when he is only competing for the role of backup goaltender.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I don't care about Point playing in the NCAA. The team could be filled with NCAA players and that would be fine, provided those players were the best available. I don't like Point's quote that he was looking to play for either Canada or USA depending on whichever team gave him the best opportunity. Not interested in such a player. Possibly even less so when he is only competing for the role of backup goaltender.

That's actually a pretty normal thing to me, one nation may not give you a chance whereas another will, so obviously you would want to play for where you got a chance, he also may feel equally about the nations, so not much nationalism here, that's old school anyway, the world is global now, people have access to more nations.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Just be happy Canada has another good goalie option, it's not like he will play less if in net vs. the US.

Wadd

Nov 8, 2015
Dube-Steel-Batherson
Gadjovich-Thomas-Kyrou
Steenbergen-McCleod-Raddysh
Formenton-Comtois-Ang
Suzuki

Clague-Fabbro
Bean-Makar
Foote-Timmins
Mahura

Hart
DiPietro
Harvey

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
That's actually a pretty normal thing to me, one nation may not give you a chance whereas another will, so obviously you would want to play for where you got a chance, he also may feel equally about the nations, so not much nationalism here, that's old school anyway, the world is global now, people have access to more nations.

That would be fine if this was not an international tournament, but it is. This isn't the NHL. If someone takes your mercenary approach, particularly a person like Point who has barely played hockey in one of the two countries, then I have little interest in them for a tournament designed to represent a nation. In fact, I suspect that the IIHF's rules stopped Point from having that choice because it goes against the whole purpose of international competition. I would much rather Canada be without such players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad