WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Timmins over Hague...I can deal with. But freakin Logan Stanley over Hague??? Give me a break. Hague is almost as big, a better skater, has a better two way game, and is every bit as tough and physical.

You can play the 19 year old card all you want, but Hague is only 7 months younger.

I feel that’s a pretty good slight.

What do people feel Glass and Suzuki’s chances are? I think Glass is close to a lock. Not so sure about Suzuki. He isn’t as versatile, and the team won’t struggle for offense.

Glass could play literally anywhere in the lineup.

I think Glass is a lock, as to where he plays that will be up to him. As you said, he can play anywhere in the lineup so he can slot on the 2nd or 4th line easily. Suzuki might make it as the extra forward imo.

Don't agree with the bolded. Offence is always at a premium when playing the better teams but it can't come at the expense of defence. Suzuki isn't the most responsible player so that might get in the way of him making the team.

Flyguy1ca

Nov 25, 2017
I think at this level you need 4 lines that can chip in offensively. I just don’t see formenton, Comtois or kaspick being able to do that reliably enough. They’d be 3 of my 5 cuts

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Logan Stanley won’t make it. He’ll get coned a couple times in camp and that’ll be it.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Give McLeod a playmaking winger who likes to handle the puck. He is most effective when he can wind up and execute quick give and goes in the neutral zone. He should handle the puck as little as possible in the offensive zone. A better version of Spencer Watson.

Reactions: LainePeg

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Taking a stab at how the roster may look without players loaned from the NHL. Decent amount of talent, but no household names.

Hart/DiPietro/Point

Clague - Fabbro
Bean - Makar
Cholowski - Foote
Mahura

Steenbergen - Steel - Raddysh
Dube - Glass - Kyrou
Howden - McLeod - Tippett
Gadjovich - Thomas - Suzuki
Pu, Vilardi

Not a bad guess from a few weeks ago. Tippett, Pu, Vilardi didn't make the cut for camp though.

I'm going to stick with my goalies and defence but I think Timmins may make the cut over Mahura. They may take a longer look at Stanley as well, which is kinda annoying but very Hockey Canada.

Up front I'm still happy with my lines. I'm really disappointed I didn't pencil in Katchouk before because I like him a lot.

Dube - Glass - Kyrou
Howden - McLeod - Suzuki
Katchouk - Thomas - Gadjovich
Comtois

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not a bad guess from a few weeks ago. Tippett, Pu, Vilardi didn't make the cut for camp though.

I'm going to stick with my goalies and defence but I think Timmins may make the cut over Mahura. They may take a longer look at Stanley as well, which is kinda annoying but very Hockey Canada.

Up front I'm still happy with my lines. I'm really disappointed I didn't pencil in Katchouk before because I like him a lot.

Dube - Glass - Kyrou
Howden - McLeod - Suzuki
Katchouk - Thomas - Gadjovich
Comtois
Can't really blame you on Villardi, but I think he's out until at least mid-February

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
If the Habs send Mete to WJC, is he a lock making the team? If yes, is he top 4 ?

IF Mete is good enough to play in the NHL,has he as shown this year, it would be pretty ridiculous that he is not top 4 in that tournament

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Give McLeod a playmaking winger who likes to handle the puck. He is most effective when he can wind up and execute quick give and goes in the neutral zone. He should handle the puck as little as possible in the offensive zone. A better version of Spencer Watson.
I'm just glad they didn't settle on the idea of playing him and Tippett together. They drive me insane at times together with the Steelheads, watching them play for a team I actually care about would be frustrating. McLeod earned his spot and it will be interesting to see who they pair him with if they are going to play him high-up in the line-up. He does click best with wingers like Nylander and Watson at this level.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
So it should be Hart's job to lose but at this point it has to be a tossup entering camp as to who will be the back up between Point and Dipietro right?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Also something I was wondering....why exactly is the Canada-USA game not on New Years eve? I mean they muck up the groups to get this match up....and then don't even have it as the New Years game? Talk about a let down lol makes this stupid outdoor game even worse.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
How about you wait and see how he performs. You stating Stanley cant skate or defend is getting pretty tiring
He has four seasons of results from the Ontario Hockey League. This isn't even my opinion either. This is numerous NHL scouts opinions of the player. The only reason hes in camp is because hes 6'7.

Attachments

• A2FCA200-36A7-4A5D-89E7-B43B179F68A7.png
    A2FCA200-36A7-4A5D-89E7-B43B179F68A7.png
    854.9 KB · Views: 24

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Steenbergen - Steel - Kyrou
Dube - McLeod - Raddysh
Katchouk - Thomas - Suzuki
Formenton - Glass - Batherson
Lind (but I think It will be Gadjovich)

Clague - Fabbro
Bean - Makar
Cholowski - Timmins
Ferraro

Hart
Dipietro
Point

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
All you guys have it wrong...i think lol ... Foote and Stanley will battle it out for one sport...due to their size...this is something they lack in the back end and one of them will make the team...one of them will make it...my bet is on foote

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
He has four seasons of results from the Ontario Hockey League. This isn't even my opinion either. This is numerous NHL scouts opinions of the player. The only reason hes in camp is because hes 6'7.
The reason he got a camp spot was because he has had a decent season, and had a solid performance at OHL-Russia games. I think people agreed he was the 2nd best Dman in the OHL team, after Timmins. It's very plausible WJC will be too much for him to handle because of the speed of the game there, but just his size doesn't earn him a spot anywhere

Flyguy1ca

Nov 25, 2017
Here's what I'm hoping for based on those selections:

Katchouk - McLeod - Raddysh
Howden - Glass - Batherson
Dube - Thomas - Lind
Suzuki

Clague - Fabbro
Bean - Makar
Cholowski - Foote
Timmins

Hart
DiPietro
Point

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Why do people see Thomas and McLeod as being ahead of Glass in the lineup? Glass is, and has clearly been a better player

Reactions: derriko

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Here's what I'm hoping for based on those selections:

Katchouk - McLeod - Raddysh
Howden - Glass - Batherson
Dube - Thomas - Lind
Suzuki

Clague - Fabbro
Bean - Makar
Cholowski - Foote
Timmins

Hart
DiPietro
Point

This is pretty close to what I have. Though I have Dube on the 2nd line. Whether he deserves it or not(and I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it) Canada always seems to favour returning players. Took them forever to move Crouse down the lineup in his 2nd time around. Loving those group of centers though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad