WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
2 Massive omissions, Tippett and Rasmussen, both top 10 picks and Tippett was just playing in the NHL, really HC.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Dipietro, Hart, Harvey, Point

Bean, Cholowski, Clague, Fabbro, Ferarro, Foote, Mahura, Makar, Stanley, Timmins

Ang, Batherson, Comtois, Dube, Formenton, Gadjovich, Glass, Howden, Kaspick, Katchouk, Kyrou, Lind, McLeod, Raddysh, Steel, Steenbergen, Suzuki, Thomas

Per TSN
Interesting. Kind of shocked that Tippett and a few other guys were passed over. Still seems like the strongest roster even without guys like Jost and Mete, who may participate. Over on the American board their offense was being hyped up, but I just don’t see it. Even their suggested top trio of Mittelstadt, Brown, and Yamamoto
are all pretty easily surpassed IMO.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
It’s just my opinion but based on the rosters I’ve seen so far, this is my rankings of the teams:

1: Finland- have some guys that can really score goals, have maybe the best 2 defenceman in the tournament in Heiskanen and Juolevi and far and away the best defence 1 through 7. They’ll need to get a good goaltending performance but I trust their starter and he shouldn’t face a lot of quality chances with the D-Core in front of him.

2; USA- have a really strong first line, maybe the best one in the tournament. I question how much offence they’ll get up front out of them but they’re going to play s real strong two-way game and I think they’ll be tough to play against. Their d isn’t the best but they’re going to be able to create offence, move the puck and are mobile. Their goaltending is going to be strong as well.

3: Canada- I’m not sure I see that one star forward that can take over a game but Kyrou/Steel could be. I like what they’re likely to assemble up front, they’ll be able to score and play with pace. Their D isn’t going to be as good as Finland’s but I expect it to be the 2nd best. Kale Clague is going to be among the best players in the tournament. Their is no issues in net with this team, probably the best duo in the tournament.

4: Sweden- I see some really good forwards up front, if Nylander is indeed able to play then they likely have the best forward here. He takes them to another level, without him they’ll still be dangerous up front but obviously less so. They’re D is going to be really good, good skaters, should be able to move the puck really well and defend in their own end to a medal caliber. Their goaltending should be good. Majority of their team is going to be playing against men and in some cases big roles, you can’t under estimate the effect that has when you go to a Jr tournament.

Incomplete: Russia- I’m not going to comment on this team yet since they haven’t released their NA invites. But you know they’re always in medal contention and going to be a threat, nothing will change this year.

The crappy thing here is that it’s possible you have 3 of the 5 best teams this year in one Divison. When they cross over, someone is going to get a really bad QF draw, it’s always the case for someone but it’s not often you see the 3 best teams in one pool.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Recent U.S. teams tends to be greater than the sum of their parts. There's no real lynch pin offensive dynamo this go around but there is a lot of quality talent that will make up the top three lines. There's also a very apparent emphasis on skating and puck-moving from the defense out. That has proven to be especially important in this tournament. I think the Canadian brass sees things the same way and so I actually think the two teams will be pretty similar in how they end up constructed/fare on the ice. We'll see who rises to the top.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Won't care about this team. Nobody from the Q = no interest

Nobody from the Q = Much better team. No soft, so called "skilled" players only on the team due to their stats being inflated because they barely play D in that league. You win with boys from the dub and O.

2 Massive omissions, Tippett and Rasmussen, both top 10 picks and Tippett was just playing in the NHL, really HC.

Tippett is horrendous away from the puck and has played very poor since being sent back to junior. Just because he was a high pick doesn't give him precedence over the better players who made the selection camp.

Reactions: Adonis Creed

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Nobody from the Q = Much better team. No soft, so called "skilled" players only on the team due to their stats being inflated because they barely play D in that league. You win with boys from the dub and O.

Tippett is horrendous away from the puck and has played very poor since being sent back to junior. Just because he was a high pick doesn't give him precedence over the better players who made the selection camp.

If you think the Q is still a soft, skilled league that doesn’t play D then you obviously don’t watch it at all. It’s on par with every other league in the CHL. The high end players are as good as anyone’s, the difference is in the depth, they have a smaller pool to draw from and the mid-lower end players in the league are likely a little worse then other leagues.

The reason there isn’t many Q guys there this year is because it’s not a strong group of 98/99 players out of the Q. This should change in the next couple of years, there’s a lot of really really good players coming through the 00/01 birth years.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

And in the next 2 years when Lafrieniere is playing a major role on this team I am sure you will be saying the same thing? What a joke lol

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
How does Joe Veleno, Cliff Pu, Owen Tippett, Pierre-Olivier Jospeh etc get left off. Canada needs to go back to the old way of evaluating and invite 50-60 guys to camp and take the best available. Enough of this short list bullshit

Reactions: flamebird

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

What decade is this post from? Was it difficult figuring out how to use the internet?

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Dube-Steel-Raddysh
Steenbergen-Thomas-Kyrou
Gadjovich-McCleod-Suzuki
Formenton-Comtois-Batherson
Ang

Clague-Fabbro
Bean-Makar
Foote-Timmins
Mahura

Hart
DiPietro

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
How does Joe Veleno, Cliff Pu, Owen Tippett, Pierre-Olivier Jospeh etc get left off. Canada needs to go back to the old way of evaluating and invite 50-60 guys to camp and take the best available. Enough of this short list bull****
Veleno and Joseph will get their chances next year and the year after for Veleno but they just aren't there yet this year.
Pu and Tippett, while both being able to make this team, just didn't deserve it IMO. Pu is good but when I look at the roster there isn't anyone who I'd swap places with and if there was someone who derserved to be there more than say Kaspick, it would've probably been Rasmussen.
As for Tippett, ask anyone who watches the OHL consistently and they'll probably tell you that Tippett didn't deserve a spot either. Has played terribly since coming back, is 1 dimensional (as mentioned before) and can be a bit selfish at times.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
How does Joe Veleno, Cliff Pu, Owen Tippett, Pierre-Olivier Jospeh etc get left off. Canada needs to go back to the old way of evaluating and invite 50-60 guys to camp and take the best available. Enough of this short list bull****

Are you being serious?

Veleno = no where near as good as a lot of people think. I’ve seen him play a lot the last 3 years and always get left wanting more. Skills and attributes are there, production isn’t.

Joseph = 10 better defence that deserve a shot over him. He wouldn’t even be the first 99 born dman that I’d invite to camp.

Tippett and Pu, obviously don’t fit the mood of player that the coaching staff wants to bring to Buffalo. You can invite all the guys you want but if you don’t fit what the coaches want you won’t make it.

Why bring 2 teams worth of players, to go through hell for the duration of a training camp plus pre-tournament games just to burn yourself out before the real deal starts.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Also something I was wondering....why exactly is the Canada-USA game not on New Years eve? I mean they muck up the groups to get this match up....and then don't even have it as the New Years game? Talk about a let down lol makes this stupid outdoor game even worse.
Because if the weather doesn't cooperate, they'll move it indoors. You need to have the outdoor game before the end of the preliminary pool to give yourself a date to reschedule to.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Why bring 2 teams worth of players, to go through hell for the duration of a training camp plus pre-tournament games just to burn yourself out before the real deal starts.

Canada was much more successful when it brought many players in and had a competitive camp. Coaches and players talked about how helpful it was. Canada has in recent years made decisions that imply that for most players the camp is just a formality, for instance sitting out Bean last year in exhibition games despite him barely having played in the WHL that season prior to the camp. I'm not saying that this is a cause of Canada's problems at this tournament this decade, but there is at least a correlation.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Harvey, Comtois and Batherson are all from the Q.

All getting cut. Maybe Comtois will make 4th line...he doesn'T deserved it but HC seem to like his grinding stuff...
Btaherson been shit in last 2 weeks and won't make team.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Canada was much more successful when it brought many players in and had a competitive camp. Coaches and players talked about how helpful it was. Canada has in recent years made decisions that imply that for most players the camp is just a formality, for instance sitting out Bean last year in exhibition games despite him barely having played in the WHL that season prior to the camp. I'm not saying that this is a cause of Canada's problems at this tournament this decade, but there is at least a correlation.

I don’t see a correlation between them disbanding the camp and not being successful. The correlation between Canada winning and losing that I see is that other countries development systems have caught up to Canada’s and ours have stagnated.

I don’t see how bringing two teams to camp this year and having them duke it out for a roster spot, somehow makes the team better when the tournament opens. You can only be as good as the talent that’s available to you.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
All getting cut. Maybe Comtois will make 4th line...he doesn'T deserved it but HC seem to like his grinding stuff...
Btaherson been **** in last 2 weeks and won't make team.

Batherson hasn’t played in two weeks, he’s been injured. He’s got the best chance to make Team Canada out of all the Q guys.

Reactions: derriko

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Not surprised by the four goalies chosen by Canada and pretty happy with who they've chosen. Going into camp I see Hart/Point as the coming out with jobs. If Canada goes with three goalies I would imagine the 3rd is DiPietro to learn from Hart about how to deal with being the starter on Team Canada.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Not surprised by the four goalies chosen by Canada and pretty happy with who they've chosen. Going into camp I see Hart/Point as the coming out with jobs. If Canada goes with three goalies I would imagine the 3rd is DiPietro to learn from Hart about how to deal with being the starter on Team Canada.
You can't really go wrong with a memorial cup winning goalie tho thats for sure.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Rasmussen has only played one game the last 3.5 weeks. HC might know more than we do about his health, or not want to risk bringing him only to get hurt early. He was a guy who was going to be borderline on making it anyways. Tippett I really don't know many people who are fans of how he plays, polarizing player who hasn't played a lot this year. I'm sure he'll get a long look next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad