WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
That would be fine if this was not an international tournament, but it is. This isn't the NHL. If someone takes your mercenary approach, particularly a person like Point who has barely played hockey in one of the two countries, then I have little interest in them for a tournament designed to represent a nation. In fact, I suspect that the IIHF's rules stopped Point from having that choice because it goes against the whole purpose of international competition. I would much rather Canada be without such players.

Well that's not logical. Also at this level players can decide which nation they want to play for, it's only when they are adults that they have to make a decision.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
If HC like their duos, then why not invite Tippett since he plays with McLeod, w/e.

Scorevat53

Sep 16, 2015
Manitoba
Just Curious, why are there many people doubting Kole Lind makes the team? I see it like 50/50 between predictions.
Maybe I'm just biased, but i want to hear opinions.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well that's not logical. Also at this level players can decide which nation they want to play for, it's only when they are adults that they have to make a decision.

The post was perfectly reasonable, given the fact that it this an international competition. It would be ridiculous to assert that nationalism doesn't have a part of international competition or that nationality doesn't matter. I also suggest that you read up on the rules. Most players cannot just decide what country they play for, there are rules in place. For instance, I strongly suspect that Point did not meet the IIHF's criteria to play for USA since he did not play two seasons of hockey in USA. There is also no difference between where a player plays at this level and at the senior level, so I don't know what your last point is supposed to mean.

Not suggesting that he do the same this year, but Jost did play exclusively at LW last year from what I remember. More broadly, Ducharme has shown a willingness to move centers to the wing if it suits their style of play and if it means getting as many good players on the team as possible (i.e., Jost, Dubois, Stephens, McLeod are all centers who played a lot on the wing at least year's tournament).

Yes, though Jost kind of disappeared as things went along. It was odd, though if you weren't Strome or Barzal then generally Ducharme wasn't going to ride you very hard. In general I am fine with how Ducharme uses players.

I don't think Jost is going to be loaned just to play wing

They almost certainly wouldn't put him on the wing, but I certainly hope that teams don't loan players with conditions. I recall the rumours regarding Lazar being loaned in 2015, and though things worked out it seems like a poor practice for Hockey Canada to keep.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Yes, though Jost kind of disappeared as things went along. It was odd, though if you weren't Strome or Barzal then generally Ducharme wasn't going to ride you very hard. In general I am fine with how Ducharme uses players.

They almost certainly wouldn't put him on the wing, but I certainly hope that teams don't loan players with conditions. I recall the rumours regarding Lazar being loaned in 2015, and though things worked out it seems like a poor practice for Hockey Canada to keep.

I recall the Cirelli (Stephens/Dube) and Roy (Dubois/Gauthier) lines being relied on more heavily in the Sweden and U.S. games, but I'd to rewatch to confirm. Jost did fade a bit as the tournament progressed, I don't think he ever found much chemistry with Strome.

To your other points, I agree. There was the whole Virtanen thing in 2016 too...him being loaned out had to have come with conditions because I don't recall him ever being dropped down the lineup despite his disappointing and very undisciplined play.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
NHL teams most CERTAINLY loan players with conditions. It's just something you'll have to live with. Hockey Canada doesn't really have a say in the matter. Beggars can't be choosers.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
NHL teams most CERTAINLY loan players with conditions. It's just something you'll have to live with. Hockey Canada doesn't really have a say in the matter. Beggars can't be choosers.

I'm not sure. I don't recall hearing about it until The last three years. Thinking back to Connolly in 2012 I am sure that Tampa Bay didn't provide conditions for the coaching staff to keep him on the third line and off the powerplay while criticizing his intensity. Most times I wouldn't think that it would be necessary for an agreement to be in place, as the NHLers tend to be better than most of the players on the team and most coaches aren't stupid enough to put those players down the depth chart and cause a distraction. I would like to hear more information about it from from McKenzie or someone at some point though. Even with Lazar and Virtanen no firm details of conditions emerged.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I'm not sure. I don't recall hearing about it until The last three years. Thinking back to Connolly in 2012 I am sure that Tampa Bay didn't provide conditions for the coaching staff to keep him on the third line and off the powerplay while criticizing his intensity. Most times I wouldn't think that it would be necessary for an agreement to be in place, as the NHLers tend to be better than most of the players on the team and most coaches aren't stupid enough to put those players down the depth chart and cause a distraction. I would like to hear more information about it from from McKenzie or someone at some point though. Even with Lazar and Virtanen no firm details of conditions emerged.
Why would the conditions emerge? It's a back door deal and meant to be kept on the down low.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Why would the conditions emerge? It's a back door deal and meant to be kept on the down low.

Such things emerge all the time. All it takes is one person who knows to mention it to any number of hockey media people. The talk in 2015 was that Lazar was supposed to play with McDavid, which is something that obviously was not supposed to be widely known. I doubt that conditions are explicitly laid out most years though as for reasons already stated it is rarely necessary.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Jost would be a great addition to power a 2nd scoring line, I don't feel confident in Glass/McLeod/Thomas offensively as 2nd line centres. Steel and Jost is a great, powerful 1-2 punch. The chemistry Steel and Kyrou had in summer games makes me think they should stay as a duo and Jost finds himself partners on another line.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
The post was perfectly reasonable, given the fact that it this an international competition. It would be ridiculous to assert that nationalism doesn't have a part of international competition or that nationality doesn't matter. I also suggest that you read up on the rules. Most players cannot just decide what country they play for, there are rules in place. For instance, I strongly suspect that Point did not meet the IIHF's criteria to play for USA since he did not play two seasons of hockey in USA. There is also no difference between where a player plays at this level and at the senior level, so I don't know what your last point is supposed to mean.

Missed the point, but w/e.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Can't go wrong with a 2-time WHL Goalie of the Year (about to be 3rd) who was also the CHL Goalie of the Year and will probably be again. That's not even mentioning Colton Point who is an absolute monster and if he played for Erie last season DiPietro wouldn't have "Memorial Cup Winner" on his resume. There's nothing wrong with DiPietro waiting a year for his chance at the WJC and right now he's easily the front runner for the 2019 WJC starting position.

Problem with DiPietro is his size. Being that small is not good against elite level shooters and the traffic a highly skilled game brings which is every single game in the WJC not every 4-5th game in any given junior league. The amount of net that is open is too much when you take into account those factors.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Such things emerge all the time. All it takes is one person who knows to mention it to any number of hockey media people. The talk in 2015 was that Lazar was supposed to play with McDavid, which is something that obviously was not supposed to be widely known. I doubt that conditions are explicitly laid out most years though as for reasons already stated it is rarely necessary.
I by no means think EVERY loan comes with strings attached, but my guess is it's a common practice. I also think that some requests are reasonable. If you're trying to get a guy to be an elite center, and you loan him to the WJC to get him some experience in pressure games, I'm pretty sure you don't want to see him moved to wing.

Regardless of whether NHL teams put in special requests or not, I think it behooves Canada to treat those loans with respect, lest they stop coming.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Missed the point, but w/e.

The only points I saw were that you don't understand the word "international" and that you don't know the IIHF rules for eligibility. I am happy to be enlightened if there was something else.

I by no means think EVERY loan comes with strings attached, but my guess is it's a common practice. I also think that some requests are reasonable. If you're trying to get a guy to be an elite center, and you loan him to the WJC to get him some experience in pressure games, I'm pretty sure you don't want to see him moved to wing.

Regardless of whether NHL teams put in special requests or not, I think it behooves Canada to treat those loans with respect, lest they stop coming.

As I said I would need to see more evidence that it is a common practice. It may be, but I'm not sure given that NHLers are almost always going to get common preference regardless. I understand issues like when a team is trying to groom a player for a certain spot (like Drouin in 2014). That is part of the reason why Minnesota didn't loan Burns in 2005 I believe - they wanted to turn him into a defenceman and playing at the WJC was not conducive to that goal. I also agree that if Canada agrees to conditions then the conditions must be followed. I'm just not keen on the conditions in the first place, especially if it is about demanding that a player performs on X line or plays with X player.

Reactions: Statsy

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Problem with DiPietro is his size. Being that small is not good against elite level shooters and the traffic a highly skilled game brings which is every single game in the WJC not every 4-5th game in any given junior league. The amount of net that is open is too much when you take into account those factors.

DiPietro's size at this level is a small problem. Parsons wasn't much bigger last year and obviously had success. DiPietro does well to minimize his size disadvantage and he'd be successful at the WJC level. The NHL level is still an obvious question but for the purposes of the WJC he'll do fine next year when he's had another year to mature and had more time to work out the kinks in his play. DiPietro's ability to read the play and his physical skills really help cut down on his size disadvantage. Hart and Point are just better goalies at this time which is why I'd go with them.

Reactions: bert

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Don't see how it would hurt expanding the camp roster a bit and adding guys like Tippett ans Hague, just a few extra names would make a difference.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Assuming no NHL players are relased for Canada, here is my best prediction for what we'll see:

Team Canada WJC-20
LW C RW
  1. Steel Glass Kyrou
  2. Katchouk McLeod Raddysh
  3. Steenbergen Thomas Suzuki
  4. Gadjovich Howden Dube x: Lind
  1. Bean Fabbro
  2. Clague Foote
  3. Stanley Makar x: Mahura
  1. Hart
  2. DiPietro

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Assuming no NHL players are relased for Canada, here is my best prediction for what we'll see:

Team Canada WJC-20
LW C RW
  1. Steel Glass Kyrou
  2. Katchouk McLeod Raddysh
  3. Steenbergen Thomas Suzuki
  4. Gadjovich Howden Dube x: Lind
  1. Bean Fabbro
  2. Clague Foote
  3. Stanley Makar x: Mahura
  1. Hart
  2. DiPietro

You know I've seen Stanley play once or twice and I couldn't see what lots forum posters here say that he is bad.

For posters who have seen him play more than 2-3 times how is Stanley?

Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad