WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Nobody from the Q = Much better team. No soft, so called "skilled" players only on the team due to their stats being inflated because they barely play D in that league. You win with boys from the dub and O.

What year is it?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I will be disappointed if they bring Point after he revealed his intentions. Hart is the starter already, DiPietro can get experience for next year, Harvey can be insurance in case Canada loses a goaltender.

Yeah I know your stance on those things.

But for me,the states does not seem to care about those things so I don't see why we should be so principled.

Whats this kid points deal anyway? where did he grow up?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Re: Point

Without a direct quote or anything I'm not ready to throw Point under the bus as an unpatriotic Canadian. Instead of being part of Team USA whose only competition in camp is for the starting position, Point is at Canada's camp which doesn't have guaranteed spots except in the case of Hart. So you essentially have three goalies fighting for one spot. It's possible he grew up feeling equally Canadian/American who doesn't mind playing for either team, he just wants to play.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah I know your stance on those things.

But for me,the states does not seem to care about those things so I don't see why we should be so principled.

Whats this kid points deal anyway? where did he grow up?

USA stooping low doesn't mean to me that Canada should stoop to low levels as well, though in this case it would be worse if Point played for USA given his development took place in Canada. If someone cares so little about which country they play for, to the point that they just say they will go wherever the best opportunity is, then I don't have interest in them internationally. I don't expect Hockey Canada to follow suit. Point is born and as far as I know raised in Canada.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
USA stooping low doesn't mean to me that Canada should stoop to low levels as well, though in this case it would be worse if Point played for USA given his development took place in Canada. If someone cares so little about which country they play for, to the point that they just say they will go wherever the best opportunity is, then I don't have interest in them internationally. I don't expect Hockey Canada to follow suit. Point is born and as far as I know raised in Canada.

I am more cutthroat then you in these matters, if it helps the team i can toss a lot of principles to the side.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I am more cutthroat then you in these matters, if it helps the team i can toss a lot of principles to the side.

Oh yes, and I expect that the vast majority agree with you. I don't find Point as objectionable as when players trained outside of Canada play for Canada at least. More of an annoyance. If Point was Hasek reincarnate then perhaps I would be more flexible, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Oh yes, and I expect that the vast majority agree with you. I don't find Point as objectionable as when players trained outside of Canada play for Canada at least. More of an annoyance. If Point was Hasek reincarnate then perhaps I would be more flexible, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Now I would toss a lot of principles out the window to have a Hasek level goaltender play for Canada.

A lot.

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
So in other (non Point related) news...

Mete is a healthy scratch tonight for Montreal...there is still a chance...

Reactions: JClark

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
Brett Howden is missing his third game in a row tonight due to injury.

Must be becoming a bit worrying for him making it through camp.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I think Steenbergen could play tomorrow actually, at least in the next few days, been out since the 1st.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

That would be awesome. This is a solid team but it lacks that 1 guy who you expect to dominate. Steel is really good. McLeod is good. Kyrou is good. Raddysh is good. Thomas is good. But you just don't know if they can be the guy. Jost would be a huge addition to this team. Would make me feel a lot better about our chances.

He's pretty much Jost what we need.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
That would be awesome. This is a solid team but it lacks that 1 guy who you expect to dominate. Steel is really good. McLeod is good. Kyrou is good. Raddysh is good. Thomas is good. But you just don't know if they can be the guy. Jost would be a huge addition to this team. Would make me feel a lot better about our chances.

He's pretty much Jost what we need.

that would be excellent.

although, if his addition comes at the expense of one of the 18 year old centers (Suziki/Glass/Thomas) I'll be miffed. If it means a player like Gadjovich gets cut, then that's fine with me.

Reactions: derriko

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

That would be nice. Quality centre depth for Canada. I'm guessing that it would mean That Glass is out, but who knows. Last year Jost looked great at the beginning of the tournament but was given less opportunity near the end. I don't know what the situation was there.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
That would be nice. Quality centre depth for Canada. I'm guessing that it would mean That Glass is out, but who knows. Last year Jost looked great at the beginning of the tournament but was given less opportunity near the end. I don't know what the situation was there.

Not suggesting that he do the same this year, but Jost did play exclusively at LW last year from what I remember. More broadly, Ducharme has shown a willingness to move centers to the wing if it suits their style of play and if it means getting as many good players on the team as possible (i.e., Jost, Dubois, Stephens, McLeod are all centers who played a lot on the wing at least year's tournament).

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I don't think Jost is going to be loaned just to play wing

If you're referring to my post, I agree with you, which is why I began my post with: "Not suggesting that he do the same this year...". Team Canada would be best served by having Jost as a center on this team. My main point was that, if Ducharme's history is any indication, we could reasonably expect him to move one or more of the 18 year old centers to the wing, at the expense of a natural winger, in order to maximize the quality of the forward group.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
I made the mistake of reading the Nolan Patrick thread. Now I'm imagining Team Canada with Jost, Patrick and Mete. Now I'll just be disappointed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->