WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Is there any chance that Benson makes this team even as a depth guy? With his injury woes and missing the first part of the season he's definitely got an uphill battle. Wonder if he's got a chance if he keeps up his 1.5PPG pace.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I guess now we're only waiting for the camp invite to come out in a few weeks. usually around Dec. 1 iirc.

a few things. I still prefer Suzuki or Glass over McCleod, but the spot will go to McLeod as a returning player whether deserved or not. Anticipating Jost joins the team...but who knows really.

and 13th. forward comes down to Glass/Dube or Ang.

And I still wouldn't have Jake Bean on roster.

A MASCHERIN

S STEEL

J KYROU

T JOST

R THOMAS

T RADDYSH

B KATCHOUK

N SUZUKI / M MCLEOD

O TIPPETT

B HOWDEN

C GLASS / D DUBE

K LIND
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

J ANG
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

K CLAGUE

D FABBRO

D CHOLOWSKI

C FOOTE

N HAGUE

C MAKAR

E BOUCHARD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

C HART

M DIPIETRO
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
@Mr Writer I agree with no Bean and like that D layout, but I'd bring Middleton or Stanley in place of Hague to ride shotgun to Makar. Both better defensively and the only place Hague outperforms them is the powerplay, which with the firepower on D that player should be far down the list for.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Can anyone speak to Cameron Wright's play thus far in the NCAA? Kid is putting up numbers comparable to some of the bigger U-20 talents in the NCAA at this time. I understand numbers are hard to compare because of games played, strength of schedule, playing time, etc., but is there a chance he could get a camp invite? I understand Hockey Canada favours CHL players and those with a history in the program, but his stats look promising.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I guess now we're only waiting for the camp invite to come out in a few weeks. usually around Dec. 1 iirc.

a few things. I still prefer Suzuki or Glass over McCleod, but the spot will go to McLeod as a returning player whether deserved or not. Anticipating Jost joins the team...but who knows really.

and 13th. forward comes down to Glass/Dube or Ang.

And I still wouldn't have Jake Bean on roster.

A MASCHERINS STEELJ KYROU
T JOSTR THOMAST RADDYSH
B KATCHOUKN SUZUKI / M MCLEODO TIPPETT
B HOWDENC GLASS / D DUBEK LIND
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
J ANG
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
K CLAGUED FABBRO
D CHOLOWSKIC FOOTE
N HAGUEC MAKAR
E BOUCHARD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
C HART
M DIPIETRO
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I don't see why Mascherin should be there at this point. Move Dube over to the LW to get more breathing room in the middle. If Jost is available I also assume that he plays C. Steel's lack of production is a bit confusing to me, though it isn't the end of the world. He looked fine in the super series.

As for Mete struggling with Montreal, it's just shocking that a recent fourth round pick would struggle playing defence for a tirefire team. He shouldn't have been kept up.

Reactions: SpoolCat

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
I don't see why Mascherin should be there at this point. Move Dube over to the LW to get more breathing room in the middle. If Jost is available I also assume that he plays C. Steel's lack of production is a bit confusing to me, though it isn't the end of the world. He looked fine in the super series.

As for Mete struggling with Montreal, it's just shocking that a recent fourth round pick would struggle playing defence for a tirefire team. He shouldn't have been kept up.

Totally agree with your comment on Mascherin, there are too many players ahead of him at this point. Steel is a lock but is not on fire like last year but he's doing well enough on an average team and has played well for Canada when given oppurtunities.

Mete shouldn't even necessarily get a spot on Team Canada right now, even if he was made available.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Jost- Suzuki- Kyrou
Steel- McLeod- Raddysh
Katchouk- Thomas- Tippett
Dube- Glass- Lind
Howden

Clague- Fabbro
Mete- Foote
Cholowski- Makar
Bean

Hart
DiPietro

Reactions: Digital Dog

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I see quite a few posts placing Thomas and Kyrou on the roster. As a Blues fan would love to see both guys representing Canada. Any reason aside from injury they aren’t locks?

McKenzie is crazy if he thinks Kaspick (another Blues prospect) from BDN has any shot at all. He’s a good kid and we’re happy to have him in the system but let’s be real.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
McKenzie is crazy if he thinks Kaspick (another Blues prospect) from BDN has any shot at all. He’s a good kid and we’re happy to have him in the system but let’s be real.

I thought the same about Dubé last year and he made it. Always room for some good forecheckers on Team Canada

I hope Phillips makes it but I'm not optimistic

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I'd be shocked if Gadjovich didn't make this team.

Net front presence
penalty kill
kind of that jack of all trades player.

Plus you can tell he is favorite because of the ice time he got in the summer showcase.
PP1
PK1
always out ion the final minute of a close game.

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
Jost- Suzuki- Kyrou
Steel- McLeod- Raddysh
Katchouk- Thomas- Tippett
Dube- Glass- Lind
Howden

Clague- Fabbro
Mete- Foote
Cholowski- Makar
Bean

Hart
DiPietro

I think this gets close...but Phillips/Steenbergen/Gadjovich would replace Jost if he's not available and Rasmussen may get in instead of Glass...maybe.

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
McLeod looks fine..Looks absolutely dominant today

Yep, lots of players coming in to form right now, including McLeod, Tippett, Pu, Benson and Gadjovich. Doesn't get any easier for Hockey Canada.

Howden remains injured...starting to worry for him.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
what, Mete isn't struggling at all in Montreal
He's been our most consistent defenseman after Weber since the start of the year

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'd be shocked if Gadjovich didn't make this team.

Net front presence
penalty kill
kind of that jack of all trades player.

Plus you can tell he is favorite because of the ice time he got in the summer showcase.
PP1
PK1
always out ion the final minute of a close game.

I liked his game in the super series. Could be good on the fourth line. If this was 10-15 years ago i would be much more confident in his chances.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
@Mr Writer I agree with no Bean and like that D layout, but I'd bring Middleton or Stanley in place of Hague to ride shotgun to Makar. Both better defensively and the only place Hague outperforms them is the powerplay, which with the firepower on D that player should be far down the list for.

I’m guessing you’ve never seen Stanley play. Defence is his weak point.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

The way the poster replied to my roster made your post tad confusing... for about 20 seconds there I was trying to figure out when I suggested Stanley on D. but eventually my morning coffee kicked in.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
He's no defensive stalwart, but IMO he's taken strides this year and I'd take him before Hague for a 3rd pairing Even strength + PK role. Based on pure defense I'd take Middleton well before either of them, but he doesn't have the offense or draft pedigree

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
what, Mete isn't struggling at all in Montreal
He's been our most consistent defenseman after Weber since the start of the year

Agreed but I'd still send him back for the WJC rather than playing on our pathetic team

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Agreed but I'd still send him back for the WJC rather than playing on our pathetic team

Smart long term plan, send NHL caliber player getting relied upon early in nhl career down to play with kids. Next you guys will be suggesting trade PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad