WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Friedman's weekly column had two sections about the WJC. He mentioned that Hockey Canada has had people in NCAA buildings t look at Point. He also mentioned that the CHL requested that if Hockey Canada uses CHLers, then it is either Olympics or WJC for any player. I certainly hope that this route isn't pursued. I would be displeased to lose a quality WJC player just so they can participate in the irrelevant 2018 Olympic tournament.

Reactions: SpoolCat

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Friedman also mentioned that Colton Point's eligibility for Team USA is being looked into. I would assume it's USA Hockey looking into it and hoping to give him a spot on the team with Woll/Oettinger. This Point situation is muddy to say the least and it looks like he hasn't really tipped his hand if HC is scouting him. Friedman doesn't make it sound like Canada has approached him yet so we sit and wait.

As for CHL players choosing between WJC/Olympics do we really have CHL players that can take a spot from the fringe NHLers playing in Europe? It's not like we have a Drouin or Marner in their D+1 years.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Friedman also mentioned that Colton Point's eligibility for Team USA is being looked into. I would assume it's USA Hockey looking into it and hoping to give him a spot on the team with Woll/Oettinger. This Point situation is muddy to say the least and it looks like he hasn't really tipped his hand if HC is scouting him. Friedman doesn't make it sound like Canada has approached him yet so we sit and wait.

As for CHL players choosing between WJC/Olympics do we really have CHL players that can take a spot from the fringe NHLers playing in Europe? It's not like we have a Drouin or Marner in their D+1 years.

I see no difference between the Point and Walman situations, other than that Walman said that he wanted to try out for USA while Point has said nothing. Walman was ineligible to play for USA as a born and raised Canadian with only one full season of NCAA hockey. I expect the same for Point.

I highly doubt that any current CHL player is significantly better than top Canadians in European leagues, particularly in the context of the 2018 Olympic tournament. It really shouldn't matter though. The Olympic tournament this year is worthless.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
InGoal Magazine did a write-up on the Colton Point situation:

Colgate's Colton Point In The Mix For 2018 World Juniors - InGoal Magazine

"There are still some technicalities about his U.S. citizenship that need to be figured out, but it looks like he is indeed eligible to play for the Americans at the upcoming tournament. Point has maintained that he will decide to play with whichever team decides to give him the biggest role. If Canada offers him the third spot on their roster, and the U.S. want him to dress as the backup – he will choose to play with the host American squad."

In this case Canada should be holding the edge easily. Go with Hart/Point (he definitely deserves it) and run with DiPietro/whoever next year.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I guess some kids don't really consider playing for a country as big as others, but if all it takes to play for Canada or USA is to see who'll give you a better shot at playing, I probably don't want that kid on my national team.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I guess some kids don't really consider playing for a country as big as others, but if all it takes to play for Canada or USA is to see who'll give you a better shot at playing, I probably don't want that kid on my national team.

Probably? I'd say absolutely not. If I were Hockey Canada I'd tell Point in not so polite and in both official languages where he can take that attitude. Nobody should be leveraging dual citizenship for a role on a hockey team, especially not a kid. And I say that as a soon to be parent of a dual citizen.
Hockey Canada and USA Hockey really need to draw up some rules here for duals and insist they declare by their 18th. B-day.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yeah I am not one of those people that act like any players that use their dual citizenship to choose one country over the other are terrible people like some do....but the odd cases where they try to hold it as leverage to get a better roster spot(like this appears to be) I would be telling him that I think we can find another goalie to fill his position.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
InGoal Magazine did a write-up on the Colton Point situation:

Colgate's Colton Point In The Mix For 2018 World Juniors - InGoal Magazine

"There are still some technicalities about his U.S. citizenship that need to be figured out, but it looks like he is indeed eligible to play for the Americans at the upcoming tournament. Point has maintained that he will decide to play with whichever team decides to give him the biggest role. If Canada offers him the third spot on their roster, and the U.S. want him to dress as the backup – he will choose to play with the host American squad."

In this case Canada should be holding the edge easily. Go with Hart/Point (he definitely deserves it) and run with DiPietro/whoever next year.

Good find. I still find it hard to believe that Point is eligible to play for USA. Walman wasn't allowed because he hadn't completed two consecutive seasons of hockey in USA. I don't see how Point is any different, but I will be interested to hear about it if and when it is announced.

I also know now that I don't want Point anywhere near the team now. Pure mercenary just looking for the most prominent position available. If a player is born and raised in Canada and takes that attitude, I have no interest in having him on team Canada at any point.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
So this is how "patriotism" gets decided these days, who gives me the "bigger role"

That about sums up kids in this day and age.

It does, but it's a bit naive to believe that's what motivates these players. Time and again it's proven to be about opportunity, playing time, expand their profile, and grow their careers.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
So this is how "patriotism" gets decided these days, who gives me the "bigger role"

That about sums up kids in this day and age.
I think it is kind of silly to think this is unique to kids now when this happened 20 some years ago with Brett Hull. There are selfish people today, there were selfish people 20 years ago and there will be selfish people 20 years from now it isn't a generational thing.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think it is kind of silly to think this is unique to kids now when this happened 20 some years ago with Brett Hull. There are selfish people today, there were selfish people 20 years ago and there will be selfish people 20 years from now it isn't a generational thing.

For the sake of fairness, there are also recent examples like Chychrun and Foote where a player didn't simply take the best opportunity and took the more difficult route to play for a country. I don't like the idea of Chychrun or Foote playing for Canada, but I at least respect their dedication. Same thing for Marcus Foligno (made it a point to try to play for Canada instead of following his brother to the USA NTDP) and I think Tyler Myers. Not all players look for the easiest route or best opportunity. This situation is a reflection on the individual player, so in this case on Point. Not all players would act as he apparently is.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Good point.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
I think this year will not be good for us
I think in 3 years we will have a strong team

How do I determine this? By looking at the draft years. 2018 we will have 1-2 in top 10

In 2019 we should have a strong draft meaning that the year after that we should have a strong team. That means wjc of December 2019 or most likely 2020

Admit it, we don't have a strong team this year as many many of our players will be in NHL

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver

How do I determine this? By looking at the draft years. 2018 we will have 1-2 in top 10

In 2019 we should have a strong draft meaning that the year after that we should have a strong team. That means wjc of December 2019 or most likely 2020

Admit it, we don't have a strong team this year as many many of our players will be in NHL
It certainly isn't a team with a bunch of high end names, but that doesn't mean it can't be a good team. We've seen a few blue collar entries take home the gold for Canada before. As for losing a bunch of players to the NHL, that is no longer just a Canadian problem. Other nations are getting hit harder than ever before, thanks to the NHL's appetite for entry level contracts.

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017

Understand the point you are making but the draft calibar is only one factor that can determine the success of a junior team in this tournment.

Carter Hart is in fantastic form, as are many of Canada's forward options and there is plenty of depth too. There is also a fair amount of mobile and offensive orinatated D men available to choose from for Canada. They lack a little bit of size and some defensive flair but that is true of the competition and the way the game in general is heading.

I for one believe Canada have a legitimate shot at getting gold. It's not all about top 10 draft pick, franchise quality players.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Me neither, initial roster is announced Monday, 4th December.

You mean the camp roster? Where did you hear this?

The draft is a good indicator but not perfect. I don't think that any of the teams look especially strong this year. No reason to think that Canada isn't up there with any other team at this point. I like that this year we have a good coach and a good goaltender. These two things have been issues this decade, so it helps a lot. I would really like the team to have a stand out number one defenceman and another top scoring centre, but having a coach and goaltender is nice.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yep Camp roster.

It's in a Sportsnet article that came out a couple of days ago predicting the invitees...just before he lists his predicted invitees.

Projecting Canada's WJC selection camp invite list - Sportsnet.ca

Nice, thanks for that. Their projected invite list looks very similar to what I expect. Almost the exact same. I like Sportsnet's projection better than what TSN (mainly Button) put out. Button has guys like Quenneville and Kaspick on the team and I am hoping that he is wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad