WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'd be shocked if Gadjovich didn't make this team.

Net front presence
penalty kill
kind of that jack of all trades player.

Plus you can tell he is favorite because of the ice time he got in the summer showcase.
PP1
PK1
always out ion the final minute of a close game.

I liked his game in the super series. Could be good on the fourth line. If this was 10-15 years ago i would be much more confident in his chances.

I dunno on Gadjovich. Canada has plenty of guys that can do all the stuff mentioned above and they have kinda moved away from the jack of all trade types. His numbers offensively look decent but need to be taken in context. That Owen Sound team is pretty stacked offensively and hes not the go to guy on his team. Thats not always a bad thing depeding how stacked the team is, but needs to be taken into consideration.

There are a lot of guys I would rather see there than Gadjovich

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Dube Jost Kyrou
Suzuki Steel Raddysh
Thomas McLeod Pu
Gadjovich Howden Tippett
Phillips, Steenbergen

Clague Makar
Cholowski Fabbro
-Bean- Foote
Hague Timmons

I'm an Avs fan who could see Sakic wanting Jost to play a few in the AHL and then get some confidence from playing in this tourney.
Don't want Bean to be on the team but I think he will be.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I dunno on Gadjovich. Canada has plenty of guys that can do all the stuff mentioned above and they have kinda moved away from the jack of all trade types. His numbers offensively look decent but need to be taken in context. That Owen Sound team is pretty stacked offensively and hes not the go to guy on his team. Thats not always a bad thing depeding how stacked the team is, but needs to be taken into consideration.

There are a lot of guys I would rather see there than Gadjovich

You're right that Canada has somewhat moved away from those guys. Has it worked out though? I'm not so sure. There are other factors of course, like several countries improving their development, but Canada has started to build its teams in a more European style, and I'm not sure that has paid dividends at the junior level.

Don't want Bean to be on the team but I think he will be.

That's life for most of us. I think that Canada has only cut a returning player maybe 5 times. It's definitely unlikely. It happened in 2015 with Bigras so it isn't like it is unheard of in recent times.

TylerJCampbell

May 9, 2016
Lloydminster, AB
soupsonhockey.com
Is there any chance that Benson makes this team even as a depth guy? With his injury woes and missing the first part of the season he's definitely got an uphill battle. Wonder if he's got a chance if he keeps up his 1.5PPG pace.

I was searching for anyone else who may have had this theory in this thread, of course us Oilers fans are looking at it. But yeah, and that 1.5 PPG pace...it's actually 2 PPG over his last seven. I wrote about it in my blog today, and I don't think he should make the team at this point, but I believe they have to bring him to camp and take a hard look at where he is at. It's not all terrific, a lot of production five on four, and at least one of his apples he did virtually nothing as Ty Ronning got an EN goal. But still, 2 PPG is still 2 PPG, and being a high profile kid for such a long time who's development has been derailed only by injuries, well worth a look.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Dube-Jost-Raddysh
Suzuki-Steel-Kyrou
Ang-McCleod-Tippett
Gadjovich-Comtois-Batherson
Steenbergen

Clague-Makar
Cholowski - Fabbro
Bean-Foote
Timmins

Hart
DiPietro
Harvey

Last edited:

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Batherson's out until mid-december with a finger/hand injury. Be interesting to see if he still gets a camp invite.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Dube-Jost-Raddysh
Suzuki-Steel-Kyrou
Ang-McCleod-Tippett
Gadjovich-Comtois-Batherson
Steenbergen

Clague-Makar
Cholowski - Fabbro
Bean-Foote
Timmins

Hart
DiPietro
Harvey

Any updates on Givani smith? He is back playing. Will he get an invite ?

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
Any updates on Givani smith? He is back playing. Will he get an invite ?

I really doubt it.

He's played a few games and hasn't got a single point. I know his game isn't all about putting up points but there is a line and his game is likely not where he needs it to be. There are just too many candidates ahead of him at this point.

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
Batherson's out until mid-december with a finger/hand injury. Be interesting to see if he still gets a camp invite.

Big shame for him. I honestly believe Hockey Canada just need an excuse right now to rule some guys out that are on the bubble.

Like I keep saying, there is a lot of similarly talented depth at forward and this injury might be enough to get Batherson scrubbed off the invite list.

Honestly, he was by no means a guaranteed invitee but the fact he was from the Q may have helped, as there is so little representation from them this year. Personally I thought he was going to get a camp invite and then be cut...now I think he won't get an invite at all...but we will see really soon!

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Big shame for him. I honestly believe Hockey Canada just need an excuse right now to rule some guys out that are on the bubble.

Like I keep saying, there is a lot of similarly talented depth at forward and this injury might be enough to get Batherson scrubbed off the invite list.

Honestly, he was by no means a guaranteed invitee but the fact he was from the Q may have helped, as there is so little representation from them this year. Personally I thought he was going to get a camp invite and then be cut...now I think he won't get an invite at all...but we will see really soon!

Mete is a healthy scratch today. I'm assuming he will be sent down

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Taking a stab at how the roster may look without players loaned from the NHL. Decent amount of talent, but no household names.

Hart/DiPietro/Point

Clague - Fabbro
Bean - Makar
Cholowski - Foote
Mahura

Steenbergen - Steel - Raddysh
Dube - Glass - Kyrou
Howden - McLeod - Tippett
Gadjovich - Thomas - Suzuki
Pu, Vilardi

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
Taking a stab at how the roster may look without players loaned from the NHL. Decent amount of talent, but no household names.

Hart/DiPietro/Point

Clague - Fabbro
Bean - Makar
Cholowski - Foote
Mahura

Steenbergen - Steel - Raddysh
Dube - Glass - Kyrou
Howden - McLeod - Tippett
Gadjovich - Thomas - Suzuki
Pu, Vilardi

Replace Vilardi with Lind, consider Phillips making it...and find a way to get Timmins in at D and that's virtually what i think we could end up with (although not in those partucular lines combos/positions).

Still skeptical whether Steenbergen will survive the camp cuts though...I hope so....i think Katchouk could steal his place.

Last edited:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Replace Vilardi with Lind, consider Phillips making it...and find a way to get Timmins in at D and that's virtually what i think we could end up with (although not in those partucular lines combos/positions).

Still skeptical whether Steenbergen will survive the camp cuts though...I hope so.

I actually had Lind on my team but I'm a fan of Vilardi and hope he could be in form.

Timmins is also a great option. Cal Foote has been impressive though

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
I actually had Lind on my team but I'm a fan of Vilardi and hope he could be in form.

Timmins is also a great option. Cal Foote has been impressive though

Im a big fan of Vilardi too but i think his comeback will be too late, he's not scheduled to play until a week or so before camp starts...just can't see Hockey Canada selecting him on that basis.

Edit: Just read that the Spitfires GM wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play for them before Christmas...he's not making it.

Last edited:

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Im a big fan of Vilardi too but i think his comeback will be too late, he's not scheduled to play until a week or so before camp starts...just can't see Hockey Canada selecting him on that basis.

Edit: Just read that the Spitfires GM wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play for them before Christmas...he's not making it.

This post makes me laugh based on the fact that many many times (including last year) someone has made the team despite playing only 1 game before the tournament.

If hockey Canada chose you at 15 to be once of the Boys? It don't matter

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
This post makes me laugh based on the fact that many many times (including last year) someone has made the team despite playing only 1 game before the tournament.

If hockey Canada chose you at 15 to be once of the Boys? It don't matter

Those players tend to be returning players with WJC experience and performance pedigree or franchise quality players or at least 1st overall picks...Patrick being picked but ultimately not making it last year for example. Bean was an exception for some reason last year.

I think if a player isn't due to play until Christmas after being out for months is picked to play on boxing day....that would be funnier....

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
That's too bad about Vilardi, I thought he was returning in early December. I just read Rychel's comments and it doesn't sound like he'll be in form until January.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Dubois has been moved up the Columbus lineup and people seem positive about his play. I'm guessing that Mete is the only possibility to be sent down, maybe a slight chance for Jost, though as usual it's best to expect no one.

Last edited:

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Those players tend to be returning players with WJC experience and performance pedigree or franchise quality players or at least 1st overall picks...Patrick being picked but ultimately not making it last year for example. Bean was an exception for some reason last year.

I think if a player isn't due to play until Christmas after being out for months is picked to play on boxing day....that would be funnier....

My point still stands, just because you are a returning player you should not make the team over a guy dominating that year when you only play one game it ends up hurting the team, ie. last year with multiple players in the worst world juniors in years couldn't get it done

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
My point still stands, just because you are a returning player you should not make the team over a guy dominating that year when you only play one game it ends up hurting the team, ie. last year with multiple players in the worst world juniors in years couldn't get it done

I get your point, don't disagree, never did. Just saying that picking Vilardi is very unlikely due to his injury, that's all.

Hockey Canada do make some baffling decisions sometimes, we all agree with that I think....cough...Bean...cough.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
I get your point, don't disagree, never did. Just saying that picking Vilardi is very unlikely due to his injury, that's all.

Hockey Canada do make some baffling decisions sometimes, we all agree with that I think....cough...Bean...cough.

That little midget to out of the O

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad