WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
So you're saying don't bring Hart because he's coming off an injury or he was drafted high or both?

I don't think that he meant picking recently returned players based on draft position was an issue with Hart. It is an issue though, as seen in the 2017 Jake Bean experiment. I am very curious to see how well McLeod plays in his OHL games before the camp. If he isn't playing well and doesn't play well at the camp, I hope he gets cut.

I am hopeful that Ducharme is willing to cut returnees if they don't perform well in camp and haven't impressed to this point.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I don't think that he meant picking recently returned players based on draft position was an issue with Hart. It is an issue though, as seen in the 2017 Jake Bean experiment. I am very curious to see how well McLeod plays in his OHL games before the camp. If he isn't playing well and doesn't play well at the camp, I hope he gets cut.

I am hopeful that Ducharme is willing to cut returnees if they don't perform well in camp and haven't impressed to this point.

me too.

I'm not a huge McLeod fan, but he's got 11 games + camp to impress.

as of right now, I don't see a spot for McLeod either at Center or RW.

and on a happier note, I just noticed the roster from QMJHL is loaded with '99 born players and a scattering of 2000 born players, which means next year's team will have better representation from the Q. that's a goooooooood thing. we need Quebec to get its act together.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafChief

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
me too.

and on a happier note, I just noticed the roster from QMJHL is loaded with '99 born players and a scattering of 2000 born players, which means next year's team will have better representation from the Q. that's a goooooooood thing. we need Quebec to get its act together.

This post is just hilarious. Arguably the top player in the OHL down the stretch and in the playoffs last year. I'm not the biggest fan of McLeod but Canada would be stupid not to take him in a top 9 role at center.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
This post is just hilarious. Arguably the top player in the OHL down the stretch and in the playoffs last year. I'm not the biggest fan of McLeod but Canada would be stupid not to take him in a top 9 role at center.

to that I say so what.
Last year was last year. If he's that kind of player in the next 11 games and proves it in camp, then he's won his spot in the top 9. If he can't, then last year is history, I'd prefer Glass over McCleod at this point.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
me too.

I do think that there has been a bit of an improvement in the players coming from Quebec. Of course a long term improvement would be better. A bigger issue is the dip in the quality of players coming out of Ontario.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Jost has been sent down. Likely just a conditioning stint, but tbh it should probably be for longer. He still needs to get used to dealing with manstrength, and doing so at a level he has the skill to dominate makes more sense than having him struggle through it in the NHL.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Jost has been sent down. Likely just a conditioning stint, but tbh it should probably be for longer. He still needs to get used to dealing with manstrength, and doing so at a level he has the skill to dominate makes more sense than having him struggle through it in the NHL.

Avs best play here is to allow Jost 10 games in the AHL followed by a stint with the National Jr. Team. Wear a letter, Win Gold (fingers crossed) and then rejoin the Avs on the 6th. of January. Win Win for everybody involved.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Avs best play here is to allow Jost 10 games in the AHL followed by a stint with the National Jr. Team. Wear a letter, Win Gold (fingers crossed) and then rejoin the Avs on the 6th. of January. Win Win for everybody involved.

I would not be surprised if this happens. The Avs released Rantanen from their AHL affiliate to play for Finland at the WJCs a couple of years ago.

While it seems to be for just a few games, Kamenev (AHL call up) was lost long term last night, and Bednar said that the Avs are not intended to immediately call back Jost. I think the timing lines up with the Avs allowing him to go.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting about Jost. It certainly looks like Girard is in Colorado to stay, so it will be interesting to see how Jost performs. He hasn't played a lot of hockey so far this season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The real question for Jost will be whether this assignment to the AHL really is nothing more then a conditioning stint or not.

If he's still in the AHL in a week from now, it might be a legitimate possibility that he goes to the World Juniors with Canada.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Meant to imply that none of the CHL options apart from Hart/DiPietro are looking so hot right now.

Yes this is a bit annoying. I was looking at the drafted goaltenders and Colton Point seems to be having a very strong year in the NCAA (.951 save percentage) and has played for Canada in the WJAC, but I've heard very little of him. If he continues to play well for the next two weeks I would like to see him get a camp invite. I'm not overly concerned given Hart, but even little things like inviting the right players can help.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Yes this is a bit annoying. I was looking at the drafted goaltenders and Colton Point seems to be having a very strong year in the NCAA (.951 save percentage) and has played for Canada in the WJAC, but I've heard very little of him. If he continues to play well for the next two weeks I would like to see him get a camp invite. I'm not overly concerned given Hart, but even little things like inviting the right players can help.

Unfortunately for Canada Colton Point is feeling more American at the moment and it's highly unlikely he'll play for Canada.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
These dual mercenary guys drive me nuts and it seems there is so many of them these days, in the past they were fairly rare, why the sudden jump in the amount of them I wonder? Seems like every year there is a slew of them now.

Reactions: Hagstrom

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Unfortunately for Canada Colton Point is feeling more American at the moment and it's highly unlikely he'll play for Canada.

Regardless of how he feels, I don't think that he is eligible to play for USA. Don't players have to play two years in a country to be eligible? As far as I know, Point has always been in Canada until he started playing NCAA hockey last year.

These dual mercenary guys drive me nuts and it seems there is so many of them these days, in the past they were fairly rare, why the sudden jump in the amount of them I wonder? Seems like every year there is a slew of them now.

It is more of an issue lately. Part of it is talent drain to USA (look at Bellows, scorer of two goals in the gold medal game last year, for instance) given how there are 24 teams there and how money is almost a necessity to play hockey, thus favouring the kids of NHLers. There is also just a lot more international movement now as people find work but retain citizenship. At this point it is almost a given that Canada and USA are going to have players in contention with dual citizenship every year. Most players play for the country where they were raised, which is a good thing. I don't like it when someone like Point (raised in Canada) plays for USA. By the same token I won't like it if Foote plays for Canada at the WJC this year. It somewhat renders international competition irrelevant.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Regardless of how he feels, I don't think that he is eligible to play for USA. Don't players have to play two years in a country to be eligible? As far as I know, Point has always been in Canada until he started playing NCAA hockey last year.

He's not but that doesn't matter. If he doesn't want to play for Team Canada he won't play and he's not an option. I'd like if they brought Tyler Wall to camp but Hockey Canada ignores Canadian goalies playing in the NCAA which probably is what caused Point to jump into USA Hockey's arms.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

It is more of an issue lately. Part of it is talent drain to USA (look at Bellows, scorer of two goals in the gold medal game last year, for instance) given how there are 24 teams there and how money is almost a necessity to play hockey, thus favouring the kids of NHLers. There is also just a lot more international movement now as people find work but retain citizenship. At this point it is almost a given that Canada and USA are going to have players in contention with dual citizenship every year. Most players play for the country where they were raised, which is a good thing. I don't like it when someone like Point (raised in Canada) plays for USA. By the same token I won't like it if Foote plays for Canada at the WJC this year. It somewhat renders international competition irrelevant.

It's gotten out of hand and you can be sure who benefits from this the most.

Guess I will have to adjust to the new facts of international hockey life.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He's not but that doesn't matter. If he doesn't want to play for Team Canada he won't play and he's not an option. I'd like if they brought Tyler Wall to camp but Hockey Canada ignores Canadian goalies playing in the NCAA which probably is what caused Point to jump into USA Hockey's arms.

In what way has he jumped into USA Hockey's arms?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
During the summer he went to a USA Hockey goalie camp which is the equivalent of Hockey Canada's Program of Excellence goalie camp.

That's fine to note, but I doubt that it means that he would turn down Hockey Canada if offered a spot at camp. We saw a similar situation with another born and raised Canadian, Walman, who attended the American summer camp instead of the Canadian camp. As soon as he was ruled ineligible as he only had one NCAA season under his belt he was suddenly very open to attending Canada's December camp. We don't know that Point would behave in the same way as Walman, but I'm skeptical that he would turn down an invitation to his only chance at playing in the WJC.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Hard to blame guys for attending any camp they're invited to, it helps their development. These guys are trying to make the NHL eventually and high level training helps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad