WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think Timmins' performance in the Russia series, the fact he was part of the leadership group, can play a solid two way game and most importantly that he is right handed might well earn him a place in the final 7 D men Canada take to the WJC.

I agree that Timmins looked good and is a very viable contender to make the team. There are a few strong contenders who shoot right though. At least Fabbro, Foote and Makar all shoot right.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
It's his to lose at this point as Hockey Canada refuses to look outside of the CHL and none of the CHL options are doing particularly hot right now.

Ian Scott has had a pretty good start, not much of a consistent track record to fall back on having only played 7 games due to injury though. But another stellar couple of weeks + history with hockey Canada might get his name in the hat

Reactions: biturbo19

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
I agree that Timmins looked good and is a very viable contender to make the team. There are a few strong contenders who shoot right though. At least Fabbro, Foote and Makar all shoot right.

Yeah I think Fabbro and Makar 100% make the team but I get the feeling Hockey Canada are less hot on Foote than they once were and Timmins could fill that 3rd pairing on the right or be the 7th man maybe

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Wouldn't write out Mete returning.

Actually I really think he'll be sent back for the tournament.

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
McLeod was officially sent back by the Devils today.

This is nice to see, Givani Smith is also likely to play his first game back from injury tomorrow night. With Gadjovich coming back earlier this week the injury situation is really clearing up. Just Howden out since the WHL v Russia game 1 - hopefully that doesn't linger.

Man...there are so many players fighting for about 6 open forward spots. Based on expert opinion and solid guesses, Steel, Kyrou, Thomas, Dube, Raddysh & Mcleod are locks (assuming no further injury for Mcleod and he comes back to a decent level).

Whilst there may not be top tier 'franchise' talent, there is so much strength in depth, with all the below in the running to a greater or lesser extent;

In no particular order....Tippett, Howden, Katchouk, Glass, Rasmussen, Suzuki, Formenton, Batherson, Steenbergen, Lind, Phillips, Pu, Mascherin, Ang, Comtois, Benson, Smith, Gadjovich

With real outside shots in Lewis, Kaspick, Anderson-Dolan, Frost, Bitten and Vilardi (if he ever returns).

TLDR....Good forward depth!

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Colorado's coach said that he doesn't think Girard is going anywhere. I really would like Girard at this tournament, probably more than any of the other eligible Canadians in the NHL.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I don't really get Comtois over Batherson on the projected rosters, he just doesn't really do anything better than Batherson except maybe the physical side of the game. Guess we'll see.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
I see it has a bunch of avg can with avg skills goind for it. let's hope the chemistry and effort is over the top or i'll be a deception.

Hart was brutal last year and they gonna put him number1...they value NHL draft stock over actual performance too much... screw the pedigree...whoever is hot should be selected.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I see it has a bunch of avg can with avg skills goind for it. let's hope the chemistry and effort is over the top or i'll be a deception.

Hart was brutal last year and they gonna put him number1...they value NHL draft stock over actual performance too much... screw the pedigree...whoever is hot should be selected.

Hart was amazing compared to some of the other goalies we've had the past several years...

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Carter Hart was not brutal last year. He was inconsistent to start the tournament then found his game at the end helping Canada over Sweden and matched Parsons in the Gold Medal Game up until the shootout. You also do realize that Hart has been a Top 2 CHL goalie for the past two seasons right? This isn't a guy who is chosen for his draft position, he's chosen because he's been the best goalie available.

More competition though is always a good thing and I would like to see Harvey brought to the final camp to fight it out with DiPietro for the back-up spot. Really happy for Harvey as he had to fill the shoes of Chase Marchand in Rouyn-Noranda which wasn't easy and is now a Top 3 goalie in the QMJHL and the only non-overager out of the Top 3.

Also I'd like to add that Hart is just coming off an injury and the Russia game was his 3rd game back...he posted a shutout. If you want hot then Hart is one of the guys you want as only one other goalie in the WHL has a higher GSAA/60 over Hart right now at 1.298 while Hart has a 1.070 GSAA/60. Harvey himself only has a 1.020 GSAA/60 so once again you want a hot goalie Carter Hart has to be there by your standards.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I definitely don't see goaltending, or Hart specifically, as a weakness on this team. I'm quite pleased to have a stable goaltending situation for one of the few times this decade.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Hart was a weakness early last year. Gained his confidence back...anyway our problem is scoring and picking player becuz of draft stock or back from injury...

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Raddysh-Steel-Batherson
Dube-McCleod-Tippett
Suzuki-Pu-Lind
Gajovich-Comtois-Formenton
Steenbergen

Clague-Fabbro
Timmins-Foote
Bean-Makkar
Quenneville

Hart
DiPietro
Harvey

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Colorado's coach said that he doesn't think Girard is going anywhere. I really would like Girard at this tournament, probably more than any of the other eligible Canadians in the NHL.

The question will be how Girard handles 20 minutes a night as often as they play in the NHL. Personally, I'm expecting him to start to slow down as this season wears on; at which point I wouldn't be shocked to see the Avs send him down. Whether this happens in time for him to make the WJC or not, I'm not so sure.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
So, just an update for me: Canada will likely be missing Chychrun, Patrick, Dubois, Jost, Mete, Girard.

Is that correct?

Thx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad