WJC: Canada 2018 Roster Talk

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think he would be most effective as 7th Dman. You can bring him in when playing against the slower and less individually skilled teams, and sit him vs your USA and the rest

Yeah I agree, I think the 7th D-man is where his spot lies if he secures a spot at all. In certain situations he could be a good guy to have around, but I think his role on this team would be limited.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I thought so too, he was o.k.

He will be a tough call though because you can still see where mobility could be an issue with him. At times in the game you could tell where his massive size could come in handy for a teams defense and at other times you look at his skating and say to yourself that he could be abused by fast, talented players coming at him in waves at a tournament like the W.J.C.

I find he is a tough guy to make a judgement on concerning a spot for him on Team Canada.

Slightly homer plug (it's a legitimate point but I otherwise wouldn't bring it up)

But if they're looking at using the 7th D slot on a monster it may make more sense to go with Middleton rather than Hague/Stanley. He's more mobile than Stanley, way better defensively than Hague (and arguably Stanley). That player is not seeing PP time, which would really be the only no-brainer for the other two.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Slightly homer plug (it's a legitimate point but I otherwise wouldn't bring it up)

But if they're looking at using the 7th D slot on a monster it may make more sense to go with Middleton rather than Hague/Stanley. He's more mobile than Stanley, way better defensively than Hague (and arguably Stanley). That player is not seeing PP time, which would really be the only no-brainer for the other two.
Maybe, I have never seen Middleton play so I can't make any call on him.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Looks like we can cancel out any hope for Girard on this team too, I would imagine he is staying up all year with Colorado.

Don't really like the looks of this team that much, others seem to be hopeful but it's going to be a pretty average bunch I think. Hart will need to be sharp and at his best IMO.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Raddysh-Steel-Kyrou
Dube-Thomas-Lind
Mascherin-Pu-Tippett
Steenbergen-Comtois-Formenton
Suzuki

Clague-Fabbro
Phillips-Foote
Bean-Bouchard
Mahura

Hart
Wells
Dipietro

Last edited:
Reactions: LDN

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
We can;t even get a guy like Dubois this year even though he is playing about 5 minutes a game in Columbus.

Geez.

We don't know what players will be released. I am skeptical of players who have played very little and get released though.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
We don't know what players will be released. I am skeptical of players who have played very little and get released though.
I am trusting my instincts and the pattern of behaviour of N.H.L executives for now. I was right about Mete and feel I am going to be right about Girard and Dubois. I would agree with you on being skeptical on how much they would help the team when they are getting so little playing time leading up to the event.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I am trusting my instincts and the pattern of behaviour of N.H.L executives for now. I was right about Mete and feel I am going to be right about Girard and Dubois. I would agree with you on being skeptical on how much they would help the team when they are getting so little playing time leading up to the event.

We'll see, I'm not sure what is going to happen with players like Dubois, Jost, Mete or Girard. I am not expecting any of them but it isn't impossible. The defencemen would be especially useful. I watched Girard play today though, and he was one of Colorado's best. I am not expecting Chychrun or Patrick to be released even if they are healthy.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
We'll see, I'm not sure what is going to happen with players like Dubois, Jost, Mete or Girard. I am not expecting any of them but it isn't impossible. The defencemen would be especially useful. I watched Girard play today though, and he was one of Colorado's best. I am not expecting Chychrun or Patrick to be released even if they are healthy.

Chychrun and Patrick were never going to be on this team.

We will have to wait and see on the others but I think it's doubtful really. With Duchene gone Jost probably needs to be on that team, Girard as the big centerpiece of that deal for Colorado is going to likely be showcased and Montreals defense is just so shaky they need Mete. I think only Dubois is a possibility and I do not even think that is likely.

We are going to war with the likes of Macleod and company it seems.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
McKenzie mentioned that Kekelainen is known to think there is a benefit for players to play in the world juniors so we'll see about Dubois. He also mentioned Mete's icetime has gone down so you never know. I must admit losing Jost so he can play 4th line minutes will suck.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Chychrun and Patrick were never going to be on this team.

We will have to wait and see on the others but I think it's doubtful really. With Duchene gone Jost probably needs to be on that team, Girard as the big centerpiece of that deal for Colorado is going to likely be showcased and Montreals defense is just so shaky they need Mete. I think only Dubois is a possibility and I do not even think that is likely.

We are going to war with the likes of Macleod and company it seems.

I wouldn't say they need Mete when they are playing him 10 minutes a game.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Somehow even in a weak year we end up losing a handful of players to the NHL. Most of them aren't even actively contributing to their teams in a significant way but I do get that there are a lot of teams that use ELC's as a cheap body to plug in even if the player isn't ready.

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
Anyone know what date the selection camp roster is announced?

Last year it was 29th November.

Injury updates:

Gadjovich is back from injury and playing well already, Givani Smith remains injured, Howden has missed last two games since injury in WHL v Russia game, McLeod is apparently on the edge of being cleared to play and Vilardi is essentially out of the running at this point.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I haven't thought up a roster yet, will probably do so after the QMJHL-Russia games. I do hope that Ducharme is open to cutting returning players if they aren't up to snuff. I like the coaching job he did last year, but he made two big errors in cutting Steel (hottest CHLer, had a good camp) and Girard (better than Bean) that I hope have been learned from. I'm not high on the QMJHL this year, so I think that most of the invitations are already set.

I see something like F: Steel, Dube, Lind, Howden, Glass, Rasmussen, Steenbergen, Phillips, Katchouk, Ang, Raddysh, Thomas, Suzuki, Pu, Mascherin, Tippett, Formenton, Kyrou, Gadjovich, Comtois

D: Clague, Foote, Cholowski, Bean, Mahura, Quenneville, Timmins, Stanley, Fabbro, Makar

G: Hart, irrelevant

Reactions: biturbo19

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I haven't thought up a roster yet, will probably do so after the QMJHL-Russia games. I do hope that Ducharme is open to cutting returning players if they aren't up to snuff. I like the coaching job he did last year, but he made two big errors in cutting Steel (hottest CHLer, had a good camp) and Girard (better than Bean) that I hope have been learned from. I'm not high on the QMJHL this year, so I think that most of the invitations are already set.

I see something like F: Steel, Dube, Lind, Howden, Glass, Rasmussen, Steenbergen, Phillips, Katchouk, Ang, Raddysh, Thomas, Suzuki, Pu, Mascherin, Tippett, Formenton, Kyrou, Gadjovich, Comtois

D: Clague, Foote, Cholowski, Bean, Mahura, Quenneville, Timmins, Stanley, Fabbro, Makar

G: Hart, irrelevant

What did you think of Tippett in the O.H.L games? I thought he was o.k but nothing special.

He will be on the team though, his calling card is sniping ability and the team will need that, whether he provides much of it against the better teams is up for debate to me. I can see him lighting it up against the weaker sisters but having trouble producing against the big boys, he will need to find chemistry with a good playmaking centre.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
What did you think of Tippett in the O.H.L games? I thought he was o.k but nothing special.

He will be on the team though, his calling card is sniping ability and the team will need that, whether he provides much of it against the better teams is up for debate to me. I can see him lighting it up against the weaker sisters but having trouble producing against the big boys, he will need to find chemistry with a good playmaking centre.

I thought that he was fine. Not a standout in either direction. Given how he started the year in Florida I see him as a guy who might improve by Christmas. He isn't a lock for me though. Canada has decent depth at RW. Raddysh, Lind, Pu, Ang, Kyrou, at least. If Raddysh and Kyrou are essentially locks for RW spots, Tippett will have to compete at the very least.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I thought that he was fine. Not a standout in either direction. Given how he started the year in Florida I see him as a guy who might improve by Christmas. He isn't a lock for me though. Canada has decent depth at RW. Raddysh, Lind, Pu, Ang, Kyrou, at least. If Raddysh and Kyrou are essentially locks for RW spots, Tippett will have to compete at the very least.

Good point.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Raddysh is a left winger and the other two are centre man. :huh:

To the best of my knowledge Raddysh has only played RW for Canada. If he can play LW then that is good all around. Pu and Ang have played centre and wing but realistically I can't see them getting centre positions on this team when Canada generally puts its best players at centre.

Digital Dog

Nov 5, 2017
I think Timmins' performance in the Russia series, the fact he was part of the leadership group, can play a solid two way game and most importantly that he is right handed might well earn him a place in the final 7 D men Canada take to the WJC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad