Speculation: Can the Isles afford to trade for a goalie? Can they afford not to?

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Pickard for the rights to John Tavares

Potential #1 Goalie for a pending UFA, seems fair to me, Leafs can even throw in Bozak, Leivo and a 2nd

...JK

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Is Ho-Sang possibly on the table? He’s good, but seems superfluous with the emergence of Barzal and Bailey and I find it odd he’s back in the A, despite good production. What’s the vibe from Isle fans about his long term future with the team?

If he’s on the move maybe Mrazek and Detroit’s extra 2nd round pick for him?

21 Savage, Bailey is a UFA in less than 12 months and Eberle is a UFA the year after this one.

Yes, NYI has two talented top 6 RWs at the current moment, but there’s not a guarantee that either will be with the team for the foreseeable future.

Therefore, I see the Islanders being overly patient with Ho-Sang as he has the potential to fill either of the top six holes should they become available.

If Bailey and/or Eberle re-sign long term, maybe then will Ho-Sang’s availability change, but at the current moment, NYI’s future top six RW situation has a lot of question marks so I can’t see them interested in trading a top six RW prospect (especially not for an asset that wouldn’t improve the long term stability of the top six RW situation).

Not harping on you, it’s just that a quick look on Capfriendly.com can sometimes easily identify what prospects are and aren’t most likely to be expendable by an organization based on the contracts of the current roster players.

Reactions: landfill

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
21 Savage, Bailey is a UFA in less than 12 months and Eberle is a UFA the year after this one.

Yes, NYI has two talented top 6 RWs at the current moment, but there’s not a guarantee that either will be with the team for the foreseeable future.

Therefore, I see the Islanders being overly patient with Ho-Sang as he has the potential to fill either of the top six holes should they become available.

If Bailey and/or Eberle re-sign long term, maybe then will Ho-Sang’s availability change, but at the current moment, NYI’s future top six RW situation has a lot of question marks so I can’t see them interested in trading a top six RW prospect (especially not for an asset that wouldn’t improve the long term stability of the top six RW situation).

Not harping on you, it’s just that a quick look on Capfriendly.com can sometimes easily identify what prospects are and aren’t most likely to be expendable by an organization based on the contracts of the current roster players.
I had forgotten that in another 1 and 1/2 seasons Eberle is also a ufa.
Been so focused on Tavares and Bailey's contract situations

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Still think Price to the Islanders makes a lot of sense. Would show Tavares that they are serious about contending over the next 5 years.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Still think Price to the Islanders makes a lot of sense. Would show Tavares that they are serious about contending over the next 5 years.
That is the same argument used in the Duchene/Weber/Patches/Tanev threads.

Got nothing new?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Especially if they talk to Tavares first and see if this move would help him resign.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Especially if they talk to Tavares first and see if this move would help him resign.
Yeah cause with Price patrolling the blue line, the isles gain a D stud..oh wait, they gain a huge boost to the god awful PK.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Yeah cause with Price patrolling the blue line, the isles gain a D stud..oh wait, they gain a huge boost to the god awful PK.
They gain a huge boost to their awful goaltending while resigning Tavares.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
They gain a huge boost to their awful goaltending while resigning Tavares.

Yeah cause taking on albatross contracts worked so well in the past with Yashin and DiPietro.

Last yr at this time the isles had Boychuk, De Haan and Hamonic in their top 4. Those players thru trade or injury are out, replaced by rookies and 2nd yr defensemen. Yeah, trading for a goalie is gonna magically right the isles defense and Pk,send them on a miracle playoff run and a Tavares extension :rolleyes:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Wrong

He was interviewed last month and stated he wants to stay and develop and come to the NHL st 25.

I follow Sorokin very closely.

I guess you were in the room st the time he spoke to Garth.

You obviously don’t pay attention and should look in the mirror.

Here’s the link wiseguy. Sorokin’s own words.

Сорокин о том, почему он не уехал из ЦСКА в «Айлендерс»: «Много факторов. Финансы в том числе»

im just going on what garth said on the fan with Joe and evan if Sorokin said anything different he obviously hasnt said that to garth

Reactions: SI90

Dano85

Oct 8, 2016
He'd definitely be cheap probably nothing more then a 2018 4th round pick even Robin Lehner probably goes for a 2018 2nd at the very least.

Bit off topic, but what do you think the Sabres do with Lehner (RFA), thought I read the GM doesn't even like him that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad