Speculation: Can the Isles afford to trade for a goalie? Can they afford not to?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Crazy idea and probably neither team does that.. but Matt Murray for Barzal. PIT probably adds, but NYI heals their Achiles heel for next 12 years or so with getting one of the highest valued goalies in the league. PIT still has Jarry and Gustavsson, both are supertalented goalies. Adding Barzal to that team makes a difference. Sth like Sheary+Murray for Barzal+Halak is my idea. Now, I am sure that Isles fans love Barzal (how could you not!) but I am just having fun here.
Counter offer, equally ridiculous: Malkin for JHS+ the lower of the NYI two 2nds

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
A clear upgrade? Halak is pretty arguably the worst starter in the league. Isles are flush with picks from the Hamonic deal. Not going after a young starter is more or less a fail

Halak's play had improved at the time Boychuk went out.
Snow had already told the press weeks ago, he was not trading for a goalie, that his goalies would have to play their way out of their funk.

With Halak set to become a ufa in July, obviously the isles will have to address a longterm goalie move.
Imo that will come in the offseason. I expect Snow to be shopping his picks for D, not goaltending during the season.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If Buffalo goes into tank mode this year:

Lehner
Kane

For

Kulemin
Greiss
2018 first round pick (worst pick of the Calgary/Islanders pick)
2019 first round pick (top 3 protected)
Ah no. Not desperate enough or in caphell, to move 2 first for a goalie and a rental

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Goalie options: of the teams that are not in a playoff spot:
AZ - Raanta, but none of their AHL goalies are that close to making it. Plus, he's really still unproven as a #1

Very few options to get a goalie who is a definite upgrade.
Raanta is proven. He's .915 on a team that's recorded 10 wins in the first 42 games..

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Ah no. Not desperate enough or in caphell, to move 2 first for a goalie and a rental
Fair enough. Thought process was that you could keep both Lehner and Kane after this season. Would’ve been willing to take on another cap dump as well with longer term - but you don’t really have any bad contracts except Greiss as far as I can tell.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Fair enough. Thought process was that you could keep both Lehner and Kane after this season. Would’ve been willing to take on another cap dump as well with longer term - but you don’t really have any bad contracts except Greiss as far as I can tell.
Isles have already publicly said they want to keep both Tavares and Bailey.In another 2 seasons, Barzal is due a big raise.That is a big chunk of payroll.I do not see the NYI in the mix for kane.Either as a TDL rental or a ufa pickup in July.

Also, one of our posters has said a few times that Ladd despises Kane from their time as teammates.
And not interested in giving up 2 first in strong drafts because some team retains a bit of salary.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Halak's play had improved at the time Boychuk went out.
Snow had already told the press weeks ago, he was not trading for a goalie, that his goalies would have to play their way out of their funk.

With Halak set to become a ufa in July, obviously the isles will have to address a longterm goalie move.
Imo that will come in the offseason. I expect Snow to be shopping his picks for D, not goaltending during the season.
I’d expect both probably Raanta + Hjalmarsson

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Dude...stop being so paranoid and defensive.
I don't care very much. Nothing anyone posts here has any bearing on the real world.

But Garth Snow needs to know if Tavares is going to stay. And if he is going to stay, does Snow have to pull any strings this year.

If the answer to those two things is yes, maybe Detroit has a goalie for you.
Maybe some other team does.

But the REAL domino is, is John Tavares going to stay.

Snow can't wait until after the deadline to find out. You can't risk losing him for nothing.
Then again, Stamkos took Stevie out for a ride before signing.

If you're gonna get mad when people question your "can the Islanders not afford to trade for a mediocre goalie" logic, don't start the thread. As others have said, you're not saying anything we haven't heard a hundred times before.

We know the player's association wants Tavares to ask for a ton of money on this next contract to set a precedent. The numbers that have been thrown out are 100/8, or $12.5M/year. We also know Tavares and his agent are waiting to see exactly how much the cap goes up by before seriously negotiating.

The whole "Garth needs to know where Tavares stands right now" ultimatum is coming from you. Like it or not, Snow is probably going to choose the same method Yzerman chose with Stamkos, confident that our new owners are willing to open the wallet to keep him around. If he leaves the Islanders, then you and a million other hockey fans will be right there to say "we told you so".

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Price (2.5 million retained) + Pacioretty for Barzal + Halak + Ladd
Enough .Isles are not
1. Taking on 30 yr old Price's 8 yr/$84m albartross contract. You bought, you own it and no, retaining $2.5m does not make him more appealing.
2. Isles are not trading 20 yr old Barzal.
3. Ladd has a NTC.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
How far away is Sorokin?

Untitled.png

Last edited:

Tomm

Dec 5, 2017
Enough .Isles are not
1. Taking on 30 yr old Price's 8 yr/$84m albartross contract. You bought, you own it and no, retaining $2.5m does not make him more appealing.
2. Isles are not trading 20 yr old Barzal.
3. Ladd has a NTC.

As a habs fan I apologize on behalf of, well all sensible habs fans for the continued Price proposals. People need to realize he isn’t going anywhere. He’s the face of the organization. Period. For better or worse, he’s ours until he retires. And only way we get a chance at Tavares is if the habs win the lottery pick. Then you can dangle Dahlin and a bunch of other pieces to pry him from the Island. JT isn’t going anywhere until then

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
As a habs fan I apologize on behalf of, well all sensible habs fans for the continued Price proposals. People need to realize he isn’t going anywhere. He’s the face of the organization. Period. For better or worse, he’s ours until he retires. And only way we get a chance at Tavares is if the habs win the lottery pick. Then you can dangle Dahlin and a bunch of other pieces to pry him from the Island. JT isn’t going anywhere until then

Agreed on Price, but if the Habs win the lottery, there is no way they would offer Dahlin, much less add to that. McDavid would be the only player that would make me even consider trading 1OV.

Tomm

Dec 5, 2017
Agreed on Price, but if the Habs win the lottery, there is no way they would offer Dahlin, much less add to that. McDavid would be the only player that would make me even consider trading 1OV.
Honestly, I think the habs are that desperate they’d consider it. And it is MB we’re talking about here lol

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
Islanders are performing awfully for Tavares' final yesr before re-signing...

they desperately need a top 4 defenseman and a starting goaltender.

If Tavares walks its no one else's fault but ownership and Snow

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Yeah well his current numbers are definitely a lot better then either Halaks or Greiss if you want to continue to see both Halak and Greiss get lit up like a Christmas tree then do nothing because that's what's happening right now.

Isles are missing 2 of tbeir top 4 defensemen.
I do not care what goalie you put behind this current D, he will struggle.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Yeah well his current numbers are definitely a lot better then either Halaks or Greiss if you want to continue to see both Halak and Greiss get lit up like a Christmas tree then do nothing because that's what's happening right now.
or garth can trade either greiss or halak for howard and i can watch HIM get lit up like a christmas tree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad