Speculation: Can the Isles afford to trade for a goalie? Can they afford not to?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Who is even really out there on the goaltending market though? Greiss and Halak are capable of having the odd hot streak of their own, same as most of the options that appear to be reasonably available.

The goaltending market is so weird and distorted right now. The top-end guys either aren't moving, or are now unmovable due to inflated contracts. Then there's this huge mushy middle of guys who might be adequate in any given year, but also might not.

Very plausible that the Islanders see a much better return on investment in terms of goaltending performance by just trading to upgrade that defence, rather than trading for any actually available goaltender out there.

Reactions: IODCPiper

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
W

Very plausible that the Islanders see a much better return on investment in terms of goaltending performance by just trading to upgrade that defence, rather than trading for any actually available goaltender out there.

The current D is a tire fire, giving up 35 to 40+ sog per game.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Dell from SJ, seems to be a player who could take the next step. Could likely be had for a goalie swap plus a second. Maybe another pick/prospect but I think he would be worth it.
Let's double down and take Paul Martin too? He hasn't fallen off a cliff or anything, just that he's expendable with the youngsters Heed and Ryan playing so well.

Dell + Martin for Griess + a first or 2 2nds.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Bit off topic, but what do you think the Sabres do with Lehner (RFA), thought I read the GM doesn't even like him that much.
heard that theyll try and trade him failing that they may non tender him because his ask is over 5M

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I’ll take that as an apology and accept it.
why would i need to apologize for believing our own GM over you?

get over yourself

did you ever stop to think that the kid tells his russian fans one thing and he tells garth snow another as a negotiating ploy?

of course you havent.

the fact that he's playing in russia wouldnt make him want to keep his employers happy would it, lest the ship him to Siberia......

meanwhile he tells garth he'll only come over for an NHL only contract

Garth has said he said that all along, DUH

ie (he wants no part of the AHL) where he would make 75k as opposed to 1M or more in the KHL

makes perfect sense to anyone who knows the value of MONEY AND HAVING TO WORK A REAL JOB

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
why would i need to apologize for believing our own GM over you?

get over yourself

did you ever stop to think that the kid tells his russian fans one thing and he tells garth snow another as a negotiating ploy?

of course you havent.

the fact that he's playing in russia wouldnt make him want to keep his employers happy would it, lest the ship him to Siberia......

meanwhile he tells garth he'll only cover over for an NHL only contract

Garth has said he said that all along DUH

It was the way you came at me and was so sure. Answer with “wrong”. When I follow Sorokin very closely and then saying “islanders fans think they know everything”

All you had to do was say” there was an interview were Garth said...... “ and then ended it with “ where did you hear that about Sorokin?”

I was joking about the apology thing. Seems you’re a bit upset by the fact that you made a poor judgment and statement and ended up with egg on your face.

Also here’s something call the cba. There is no negotiating tactics needed because Sorokin can only sign and ELC which means you can’t just pay him whatever he wants. So when you said it’s all about the money you made no sense. The only thing Sorokin can negotiate is tell Garth he will sign only if he’s guaranteed to play in the NHL. Sorokin told islanders news when he was here for camp a few years ago that he would have no problem playing in the AHL if the islanders thought he wasn’t ready.

As far as Sorokin telling the islanders one thing and the Russian media another that’s pure speculation and can’t be proven. Maybe Garth told Joe and Evan the wrong thing. Or maybe he didn’t. Are we going start guessing on who’s lying and who isn’t?

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
It was the way you came at me and was so sure. Answer with “wrong”. When I follow Sorokin very closely and then saying “islanders fans think they know everything”

All you had to do was say” there was an interview were Garth said...... “ and then ended it with “ where did you hear that about Sorokin?”

I was joking about the apology thing. Seems you’re a bit upset by the fact that you made a poor judgment and statement and ended up with egg on your face.

NO not at all its just the utter lack of common sense you displayed

agents and players play this game with GM's in all sports. its called negotiating, so I take everything they say with a grain of salt, and ask myself whats his ulterior motive, whats the story behind the story. because since Neiderreiter Ive seen more baseball-style tactics in hockey negotiations than ever before

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

agents and players play this game with GM's in all sports. its called negotiating, so I take everything they say with a grain of salt, and ask myself whats his ulterior motive, whats the story behind the story. because since Neiderreiter Ive seen more baseball-style tactics in hockey negotiations than ever before

Also there’s something call the cba. There is no negotiating tactics needed because Sorokin can only sign and ELC which means you can’t just pay him whatever he wants. So when you said it’s all about the money you made no sense. The only thing Sorokin can negotiate is tell Garth he will sign only if he’s guaranteed to play in the NHL. Sorokin told islanders news when he was here for camp a few years ago that he would have no problem playing in the AHL if the islanders thought he wasn’t ready.

As far as Sorokin telling the islanders one thing and the Russian media another that’s pure speculation and can’t be proven. Maybe Garth told Joe and Evan the wrong thing. Or maybe he didn’t. Are we going start guessing on who’s lying and who isn’t?

Dano85

Oct 8, 2016
Also there’s something call the cba. There is no negotiating tactics needed because Sorokin can only sign and ELC which means you can’t just pay him whatever he wants. So when you said it’s all about the money you made no sense. The only thing Sorokin can negotiate is tell Garth he will sign only if he’s guaranteed to play in the NHL. Sorokin told islanders news when he was here for camp a few years ago that he would have no problem playing in the AHL if the islanders thought he wasn’t ready.

oh man don't get this guy started on the CBA

Reactions: SI90

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
The cba doesn't stop him from only getting a one way deal.if as Garth says he doesn't want any part of an AHL assignment that can be negotiated.

The kid is coming over. That is going to happen simply because the KHL isn't on sound footing hence you'll see more and more players leaving.

He's just waiting till he's offered a one way contract. He's not gonna accept a 2 way split deal that pays him entry level plus bonuses on an ELC in the NHL and 75k in the AHL

That's the negotiation I'm referring to. Why give up 1M+ for a chance at a measly 75k if he's sent down? He wants a one way deal on an ELC you can get 800k+ and up to it's around 3 million total in performance bonuses. That's what he wants. it is about money. He just doesn't want to get stuck playing for 75k like Dal Colle is

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Let's double down and take Paul Martin too? He hasn't fallen off a cliff or anything, just that he's expendable with the youngsters Heed and Ryan playing so well.

Dell + Martin for Griess + a first or 2 2nds.
Isn't Dell a ufa this July?

I do not expect the isles to add another goalie until after the season.
Does Martin have a NTC? If not,I would hope the isles would have interest.

The higher of the team's two 2nd rounders + any of the Bridgeport blueliners not named Toews.Isles have some promising blue line prospects.
If SJ had no interest in blue line prospects, maybe Nelson + a 3rd?

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
The cba doesn't stop him from only getting a one way deal.
He's just waiting till he's offered a one way contract. He's not gonna accept a 2 way split deal that pays him entry level plus bonuses on an ELC in the NHL and 75k in the AHL

Actually it does. ELC is always two-way contract.

Sure Garth can quarantee Sorokin that he wont be put to AHL, but the actual deal will be two-way, for maximun dollars of $925 000. + performance bonuses (max. salary 2,85Mil per season). And since Ilja is 23 years old in the beginning of next season he would have to sign 2 year ELC.

I hope he goes over to North america next year, Im vety confident on him becoming NHL starter. Sure hope we fix our D before, since Ilja has faced average of just above 22 shots per game this season (sv%93,5. GAA1,39), and we know current Isles team defence will double that easily.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Honestly, I think the habs are that desperate they’d consider it. And it is MB we’re talking about here lol

So when exactly would we trade Dahlin for Tavares?? Between draft and July 1st?? or after Tavares signed a extension with NYI??

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Isn't Dell a ufa this July?

I do not expect the isles to add another goalie until after the season.
Does Martin have a NTC? If not,I would hope the isles would have interest.

The higher of the team's two 2nd rounders + any of the Bridgeport blueliners not named Toews.Isles have some promising blue line prospects.
If SJ had no interest in blue line prospects, maybe Nelson + a 3rd?
I'd do either of those, but definitely prefer the two seconds. He has a six team NTC, so I would imagine you guys would be a suitable destination.

Dipietro39

Jul 15, 2005
I'd imagine they would target a defender instead of a goalie. Their defence is weak.

Yes. Halak has been pretty damn good lately. Isles D is a joke due to injuries (and weren't great before CDH and JB got hurt).

Hjalmersson would be perfect.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I'd do either of those, but definitely prefer the two seconds. He has a six team NTC, so I would imagine you guys would be a suitable destination.
Isles glut of blue line prospects means they will need to trade some.

I would guess the isles would prefer to move one of the AHL kids and use the 2018 pick on a 18 yr old who is 3/4 yrs away.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Actually it does. ELC is always two-way contract.

Sure Garth can quarantee Sorokin that he wont be put to AHL, but the actual deal will be two-way, for maximun dollars of $925 000. + performance bonuses (max. salary 2,85Mil per season). And since Ilja is 23 years old in the beginning of next season he would have to sign 2 year ELC.

I hope he goes over to North america next year, Im vety confident on him becoming NHL starter. Sure hope we fix our D before, since Ilja has faced average of just above 22 shots per game this season (sv%93,5. GAA1,39), and we know current Isles team defence will double that easily.
Good catch.I missed that. That then must be the reason.
Basically he'd be taking a guaranteed pay cut .

Cause Garth said he "wants no part of The AHL" if the ELC must be a 2 way then he is taking a hell of a risk considering he makes over a million in russia.

If it were me I don't take a chance being sent down as a rookie and making 75 K.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
how about Hutchinson? he is crushing the AHL and played behind a really bad team last year. could get him for not too much I bet.. a pick or two.

Tomm

Dec 5, 2017
So when exactly would we trade Dahlin for Tavares?? Between draft and July 1st?? or after Tavares signed a extension with NYI??

Pretty sure it’d have to be a sign and trade. I HOPE MB isn’t stupid enough to do the latter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad