Speculation: Can the Isles afford to trade for a goalie? Can they afford not to?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
We've heard the "Tavares will leave as a UFA unless you trade us futures for our expendable players" sales pitch/ultimatum so, so, so many times before.

At least you have the courtesy of asking us for just Halak & 2nd instead of both 1sts and Bellows.

Frankly, if I'm Snow, I need to know by the end of the week what's going on with Tavares.
And part of that conversation is - is contending this year a requisite for keeping him.

If he says he'll stay if we make a play,, I trade for a goalie and a defenseman.

but if he doesn't commit to that ASAP, I trade him to the highest bidder.
I just wonder if there's any market for him.

Which cup contender has the assets to trade for Tavares and the cap space (both this year and in the future - because anyone who pays a ransom will want a reasonable chance at signing him).?

Reactions: IODCPiper

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Frankly, if I'm Snow, I need to know by the end of the week what's going on with Tavares.
And part of that conversation is - is contending this year a requisite for keeping him.

If he says he'll stay if we make a play,, I trade for a goalie and a defenseman.

but if he doesn't commit to that ASAP, I trade him to the highest bidder.
I just wonder if there's any market for him.

Which cup contender has the assets to trade for Tavares and the cap space (both this year and in the future - because anyone who pays a ransom will want a reasonable chance at signing him).?

Ah. Another ultimatum.

Either Tavares sticks around because he tells Snow to trade for Jimmy Howard or another comparable below-average goaltender. Making sure to meet Detroit's asking prices in valuable future assets.

Or Tavares leaves and we trade him... oh but there might not be any market for John Tavares which may complicate things.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Ah. Another ultimatum.

Either Tavares sticks around because he tells Snow to trade for Jimmy Howard or another comparable below-average goaltender. Making sure to meet Detroit's asking prices in valuable future assets.

Or Tavares leaves and we trade him... oh but there might not be any market for John Tavares which may complicate things.

Dude...stop being so paranoid and defensive.
I don't care very much. Nothing anyone posts here has any bearing on the real world.

But Garth Snow needs to know if Tavares is going to stay. And if he is going to stay, does Snow have to pull any strings this year.

If the answer to those two things is yes, maybe Detroit has a goalie for you.
Maybe some other team does.

But the REAL domino is, is John Tavares going to stay.

Snow can't wait until after the deadline to find out. You can't risk losing him for nothing.
Then again, Stamkos took Stevie out for a ride before signing.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I was hoping that Jets would claim Halak off waivers or trade Hutchinson for him, would've been the perfect pick-up for the Jets.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Dude...stop being so paranoid and defensive.
I don't care very much. Nothing anyone posts here has any bearing on the real world.

But Garth Snow needs to know if Tavares is going to stay. And if he is going to stay, does Snow have to pull any strings this year.

If the answer to those two things is yes, maybe Detroit has a goalie for you.
Maybe some other team does.

But the REAL domino is, is John Tavares going to stay.

Snow can't wait until after the deadline to find out. You can't risk losing him for nothing.
Then again, Stamkos took Stevie out for a ride before signing.

The whole thread discussion of " Can The Isles Afford a Goalie?" is pretty silly. Isles have multiple 1st and multiple 2nds,a solid prospect pool and Halak's $4m off the books in July. Sure they can AFFORD a goalie.
The question should be "Does Snow see a clear upgrade on Halak, whose play was improving before Boychuk went out?"

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Crazy idea and probably neither team does that.. but Matt Murray for Barzal. PIT probably adds, but NYI heals their Achiles heel for next 12 years or so with getting one of the highest valued goalies in the league. PIT still has Jarry and Gustavsson, both are supertalented goalies. Adding Barzal to that team makes a difference. Sth like Sheary+Murray for Barzal+Halak is my idea. Now, I am sure that Isles fans love Barzal (how could you not!) but I am just having fun here.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If Buffalo goes into tank mode this year:

Lehner
Kane

For

Kulemin
Greiss
2018 first round pick (worst pick of the Calgary/Islanders pick)
2019 first round pick (top 3 protected)

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
He really is, but that is more of a reality of just how bad the two guys on your team are playing. Howard has been pretty good this year behind a horrendous D. He is outplaying Greiss and Halak comfortably.

I think the Wings are looking to move Mrazek and not Howard. Mrazek's game has been shaky for a while now so I can see attacking him as a big upgrade, though I do think he is a slight upgrade and he would probably only run you a 4th round pick.
howard would be behind a horrendous d on our team too

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Just go pick up Raanta from the Coyotes he is a rental,if he plays well you sign him if not you get somebody else in the off season.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The whole thread discussion of " Can The Isles Afford a Goalie?" is pretty silly. Isles have multiple 1st and multiple 2nds,a solid prospect pool and Halak's $4m off the books in July. Sure they can AFFORD a goalie.
The question should be "Does Snow see a clear upgrade on Halak, whose play was improving before Boychuk went out?"
A clear upgrade? Halak is pretty arguably the worst starter in the league. Isles are flush with picks from the Hamonic deal. Not going after a young starter is more or less a fail

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
If the NYI th8nk a goalie will set them down a playoff path and thus keep IT..
Call Florida?
They don't need both Lou and Reims.
Both are playing pretty decent this year.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I haven't followed the Isles, but if you say that your problems arose when De Haan and Boychuck got injured, then maybe the root of the problem is you need to rent a Dman?

If the D is the issue, then getting a goalie won't help much.
Goaltending has been bad all year but yeah the D is garbage right now.

ALEXIVICH CHULKATURI

Dec 5, 2010
HILTON HEAD ISLAND
The Islanders have three top four defenseman from last years team (HAMONIC, BOYCHUK, DE HAAN) currently not playing for them. Tell me who in the NHL can survive that and then add you have the worst goaltending tandem bar none. Lehner, Raanta will help of course and could right the ship until at least Boychuk comes back, but I ask yourself and be honest,...Are you winning the Stanley Cup with Raanta or Lehner. You trade Tavares and Bailey at the Deadline and then go after them July 1st. They say no thank you well of course next year is going to be bad but think of the 2019 ufa and all that cap space. The Islanders need to fix their goaltending ASAP. You either convince Sorokin to cross the Atlantic or you get the best goaltender available via UFA.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Goalie options: of the teams that are not in a playoff spot:
Ana - Miller is old, and Ana wants that vet
Chi - Crawford, but the Hawks don't have an alternative after him and still have their core. Can't do it to their core
Cal - They just got Smith and they need a vet when they bring up either Gillies next season
Col - Varlamov or Bernier. Varly could be had, but from what I can see Martin Spencer is their closest goalie prospect, and he's in year 3 of pro. He'd need a vet ahead of him. Not sure if they want to just have Bernier ahead
Edm - Talbot, Oilers have really nothing behind him. Doubt they want to hand the reigns to Broissant
Van - Neither Markstrom or Nilsson are established
AZ - Rantana, but none of their AHL goalies are that close to making it. Plus, he's really still unproven as a #1
But - Is Lehner really an upgrade at this point?
Ott - Anderson is an upgrade. That's the ideal target, if Ottawa goes rebuild because they waive the white flag on extending Karlsson. 2 more years after this one left on his deal.
Mon - Price - too expensive
Det - Howard/Mrazek. Mrazek is UFA soon, so the cost should be low. But, is it an upgrade? Ditto for Howard.
FLA - Luongo is still hurt right? There's Reimer, but the Panthers don't want to ride Lu given his age and recent injuries.
Phi - Elliott - stop gap guy if you want him
Pit - They aren't moving Murray.

Very few options to get a goalie who is a definite upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad