Call of Duty - Vanguard

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Just played it for a bit just now and it’s WAY better than the steaming pile of crap that was the beta. If you played WW2 the leveling system is pretty much the same. Your Battle Pass from Cold War/Warzone transfers over in their ‘Pre-Season’ stage. The weapons are a bit different than WW2 and the mechanics are a bit different than WW2 and Cold War. The maps are balanced but like all Call of Duty games, players are stupid at times.

Reactions: John Price

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I played for about 2.5 hours last night. I generally like it. I think the TTK can be raised a touch, but it's not awful. The visuals are a step up from the beta like @Dolemite said (it was immediately noticeable on Eagle's Nest on PS5).

Thoughts so far from my limited time playing:

+
Movement speed is on point
Maps are generally pretty good
I've really enjoyed the gunplay so far
Patrol is a great game mode

+/-
Operators are blah
Footstep audio is pretty quiet
TTK could use a bit of a nerf
Color pallete is a bit boring on most maps
Patrol on Dome is a massive cluster**** I can't imagine how it will be in Shipment
I think the audio is still a little mushy
Blitz is not for the faint of heart. You'll need to be gfueled out of your mind for this mode if you are in higher end lobbies
Interacting with the ammo boxes seems awkward

-
That post-game MVP stuff, they need to cut that time in half it's way too long
The spawns are still broken in places. I played two games of Gavatu last night, and the spawns never flipped a single time. Bad spawn trap both times
The Gunsmith is fine, but 75% of the attachments I'm guessing will be useless. The higher up ones you unlock have way too many negatives to be useful
Suffers the same SBMM problem CW had. Playing solo is a nightmare you will be put on a team of absolute bots and get destroyed by the other team
Not a fan of needing to run Radar to see people in the minimap

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Also, the Campaign is phenomenal! They’re probably going to tie it in with the seasons like they did with Cold War/Warzone.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Was on the fence about if I was going to get it... ended up pre-ordering last night..always a sucker for world war 1 or 2ish time settings LoL

Glad to see early reviews look to be mostly positive.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Just played it for a bit just now and it’s WAY better than the steaming pile of crap that was the beta. If you played WW2 the leveling system is pretty much the same. Your Battle Pass from Cold War/Warzone transfers over in their ‘Pre-Season’ stage. The weapons are a bit different than WW2 and the mechanics are a bit different than WW2 and Cold War. The maps are balanced but like all Call of Duty games, players are stupid at times.

Also, if you have any double XP tokens in Cold War they can be used in Vanguard as well.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Anyone played zombies? How is it? That’s pretty much my only interest.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I have no interest in this. MW 2019 was some of the most fun I've had in years but CW was a disaster.

Sep 19, 2008
Cold War received negative reviews but I gotta say Vanguard looks very solid

I am really tempted to blow 60 dollars on this but BF2042 is coming out for me this friday so :confused:

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
You have to enjoy pretty sweaty gameplay to like VG right now. It is the most difficult COD I've ever played. I'm getting my ass kicked ATM. Back to back last night my team lost 200-15 on HP, then 200-0 (!) on Patrol. I've got like a 1KD whereas in other COD games I'm above 2.

Very low TTK combined with some attachments, ammo types and profeciencys that can turn the STG into a 2 shot kill to basically most of the body is quite overpowered.

The spawns also ensure you will be shot out of nowhere.

There is definitely some tweaking required for all those things.

Last edited:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
It looks decent but idk. This honestly should've been a DLC or add on to MW2019 but Activision is what Activision does. Shit.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I've put in about 11 hours of actual in-game time... just my two cents...

Overall compared to CW I like Vanguard 10x more.

Pros-
+Amount of maps it launched with
+TTK .. I think its great as is
+Visually it looks great on Series X
+Tons of attachments for weapons
+Soundtrack is a great
+Patrol

Cons-
-SBMM
-Footsteps are pretty much non-existent, even with headphones
-Spawns can get wonky but its improved from the beta
-Killstreaks are pretty meh, and a few of them need nerfed
-Camos are pretty meh outside of gold, diamond, atomic, dark aether
-Calling cards/challenges are pretty limited and generic

Meh-
-Operators don't have a lot to them IMO
-Zombies seems kinda barebones, but maybe they'll be adding more when S1 starts

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Already heard there is a bunch of hackers already max prestige. Will be skipping CoD’s until they can get there shit together.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Already heard there is a bunch of hackers already max prestige. Will be skipping CoD’s until they can get there shit together.
FWIW, In 11 hours of play I have not ran across a single one.

Honestly this is probably my favorite game(CoD) since the Black Ops games.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I haven't seen one yet either.

The anti cheat stuff isn't completely running yet, but I guess we will find out how effective it is in a month when it's live.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Played a couple games of Zombies.

Definitely a bit bare bones, but I actually like the concept of it. Thought it was pretty enjoyable but I'm definitely more of a casual zombies player so for the hardcore I can certainly understand some of the disappointment.

It seems like they rushed it with no ray gun, wonder weapon, wall buys, etc but I find it hard to believe they won't be adding anything to it in the coming weeks/start of S1.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
FYI the Double XP tokens in Warzone/Cold War don’t work in Vanguard BUT the weapons you get from the season pass progression are absolutely WICKED.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
FYI the Double XP tokens in Warzone/Cold War don’t work in Vanguard BUT the weapons you get from the season pass progression are absolutely WICKED.

The Warning Track STG44 from the Battlepass is a must-use once you unlock create-a-class, mostly just because it comes with the VITAL Proficiency which isn't unlocked until quite a bit later if I recall correctly.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Why not? They buy cheats for 100’s per month.

never underestimate a cheaters complex. They get a high off being at the top.
It’s easy to get banned from a free game and just go create a new account. Not so much when you have to pay, so there won’t be nearly as many cheaters in a game you have to buy.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Most of them don’t buy the games on PC. They are cracked.
Most new PC games are impossible to play online if you have a cracked version. In fact neither Modern Warfare nor Black Ops Cold War have ever been cracked because you need to connect to Activision's servers to even launch the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad