Prospect Info: Calgary Wranglers and Prospect Discussion Megathread

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Was camping but listened to game 5 on the radio on the way out, will probably watch it once I have time. Sounded like a wild one. The Firebirds were the 2nd best team in the AHL and the Wranglers got a little unlucky facing them in a semi-final. Hurts to go out like that, have to think Love is regretting that decision to play 3 road games in a row. Needed a little more from guys like Duehr and Phillips in this series imo. Kevin Rooney is just as useless in the AHL as he is in the NHL.

Still a very successful year for the farm team. Zary + Poirier both took a big step. Wolf continued his dominance. Think Pelletier was our best skater in the POs so that bodes well. Schwindt also showed well in this series in particular.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Was camping but listened to game 5 on the radio on the way out, will probably watch it once I have time. Sounded like a wild one. The Firebirds were the 2nd best team in the AHL and the Wranglers got a little unlucky facing them in a semi-final. Hurts to go out like that, have to think Love is regretting that decision to play 3 road games in a row. Needed a little more from guys like Duehr and Phillips in this series imo. Kevin Rooney is just as useless in the AHL as he is in the NHL.

Still a very successful year for the farm team. Zary + Poirier both took a big step. Wolf continued his dominance. Think Pelletier was our best skater in the POs so that bodes well. Schwindt also showed well in this series in particular.

I think Phillips got injured in game 5.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Checking the boxscore (caught some of the action) to see Coronato got a goal and an assist in the bronze medal game at the WHC… but Calgary property Kristian Rubins scored the tying goal and OT GWG?!

25 y/o 6’5” Latvia D-man came over in a future considerations deal for the Wranglers and played 9 games total for us in the AHL. Does he stick around? Group 6 UFA

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Checking the boxscore (caught some of the action) to see Coronato got a goal and an assist in the bronze medal game at the WHC… but Calgary property Kristian Rubins scored the tying goal and OT GWG?!

25 y/o 6’5” Latvia D-man came over in a future considerations deal for the Wranglers and played 9 games total for us in the AHL. Does he stick around? Group 6 UFA

Have to imagine he'll get a couple of Euro offers that make a 2way NA pro deal unappealing.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Possibly but I wouldn't read too much into it. WHC is pretty much a glorified AHL level tournament with a couple of NHL players sprinkled in depending on the playoff standings that year. There's a reason few people in North America take it seriously.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I always thought Jack Beck was an intriguing prospect, but I'm no scout.

Reactions: Kahvi

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Jack Beck was easily our best player in Penticton (which I attended every game).

It’s a joke he didn’t get a contract imo

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Do you think Ilya Solovyov can make his debut in the NHL? In the upcoming season
I think it'd take a serious rash of injuries. He needs another year of growth in the AHL, he's imprssed in his time there though.
I think the Flames still have Gilbert under contract for that "scratch" spot, Desimone is the next vet up, and Poirier if they want a Offensive guy.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Do you think Ilya Solovyov can make his debut in the NHL? In the upcoming season

Who is he taking a spot from?

Hanifin
Weegar
Kylington
Zadorov

Are the LD he will be competing against and they all are pretty much guaranteed roster spots. His only chance is if we make a trade and put Weegar on the right side. Even then he'll have to beat out Gilbert and hope Poirier isn't ready yet. He'll get in if there's an injury.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Looking for info on some players who made their NHL debut last season. Specifically what type of player they are and what their future NHL outlook is. Thanks!

D - Nick DeSimone
G - Dustin Wolf

DeSimone was the best all around defenseman for the Wranglers last season. Which really he should be, he's 28 years old. Ran the #1PP and was pretty good on it. Got into 4 games for the Flames and other than one bad mistake against the Islanders IIRC didn't look out of place or anything. Competent in his own zone but not great, good first pass, uses his size well, decent edgework, hands and quick feet to be dangerous in the OZ. Good option for the bottom pairing 7th D spot and wouldn't be surprised at all to see him make the team out of camp.

Dustin Wolf the fanbase and the org are both very high on. Won his fourth straight 'Goaltender of the Year' award and also was the AHL MVP. Very quick goalie, keeps his feet extremely well, and his anticipation and IQ are elite. Really done all he can at the AHL level and most of us are anticipating the Flames moving one of Markstrom or Vladar to get him in a NHL tandem, but that's not exactly guaranteed. Quite clearly a top 3 G prospect in the league and if you were to ask me, would be #1 and has a very good chance to be the best goalie to suit up for the Flames ever. Knock on him is his size, only 6' tall.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

MM917

Aug 18, 2022

Hopefully not, but I guess at the end of the season it is possible he could get a token game when we are out of the play-off race.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Anyone else want to take a shot at ranking our prospects. It has been a while since we've done something like this. For me:

The cream of the crop
1. Dustin Wolf- I honestly believe he is going to be a game changing talent in the mould of Juuse Saros.

The high end prospects (top 6 forwards or top 4 D)
2. Sam Honzek- He just screams ceiling to me. His blend of skating, size, vision and shooting is something quite rare. I was never a Jankowski guy because he always looked kinda bland when he played. I do not see that in Sam. I see an explosive element. Not nearly as high of a floor as Pelletier or Coronato, but along with Poirier, he's got the tools to pop into a top line player.
3. Matt Coronato- Very smart player. Maybe a little bit of an awkkward stride that could prevent him from being a true elite player. He can shoot the puck though and I think he consistently scores around 30 G. Sort of a Tyler Toffolli type player.
4. Jakob Pelletier- Just does so much well. He's the guy that makes everyone around him better. May not possess high-end offensive ability like the other guys in this teir. He is just such a smart player that helps win games. I see a Jason Zucker type.
5. Jeremie Poirier- Not as polished as Pelts or Coronato, but I think he's got a chance to pop. His skating is special and that plays at the NHL level. He's not great in the corner but his ability to move the puck is going to help the team in the defensive zone as a totality.
6. Etienne Morin- Honestly I was clamouring for the Flames to get a first round pick to get this guy late in the first. The fact he slipped is pretty crazy. He was on a bad team and put up good numbers. The Q has seemed to be a little underrated of late.

Solid Prospects
7. Connor Zary- I see an NHL player here. He needs to get stronger but I think he will fit in a middle six role at the NHL level at some point. Lacks high end IQ to rank him in
8. Walker Dueher- Speed kills at the NHL level. I think he will be a solid bottom six contributor for the Flames.
9. Ilya Solovyov- Strong defensively. Always stood out to me for his ability to get up and down the ice. Doubt he becomes a great player but I think the chances of him becoming a 4-6 D are pretty solid.

Guys with a chance to play
9. Lucas Ciona- Hopefully he becomes the next Ferland. Guys who can skate and play physical tend to translate pretty well. Not expecting that of him but he definitely is an intriguing prospect.
10. Areseni Sergeev- Good goalie prospect. Interesting to see how he does in year 2 in Providence as the guy.
11. Aydar Suniev- Kid has a lot of potential but is very raw. It'll be interesting to see how he does in college.
12. Parker Bell. Size and production. Could be a late bloomer.
13-15. Ronni, Stromgren, Kuznetsov. Gotta go with the second rounders even though I think they all lack IQ to play in the NHL. These guys seemed to fit the Sutter build more. GOod skaters but I just don't see the things that really make players successful in the NHL.

The rest are pretty much wildcards to me at this point but you never know how young players will develop.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Anyone else want to take a shot at ranking our prospects. It has been a while since we've done something like this. For me:

The cream of the crop
1. Dustin Wolf- I honestly believe he is going to be a game changing talent in the mould of Juuse Saros.

The high end prospects (top 6 forwards or top 4 D)
2. Sam Honzek- He just screams ceiling to me. His blend of skating, size, vision and shooting is something quite rare. I was never a Jankowski guy because he always looked kinda bland when he played. I do not see that in Sam. I see an explosive element. Not nearly as high of a floor as Pelletier or Coronato, but along with Poirier, he's got the tools to pop into a top line player.
3. Matt Coronato- Very smart player. Maybe a little bit of an awkkward stride that could prevent him from being a true elite player. He can shoot the puck though and I think he consistently scores around 30 G. Sort of a Tyler Toffolli type player.
4. Jakob Pelletier- Just does so much well. He's the guy that makes everyone around him better. May not possess high-end offensive ability like the other guys in this teir. He is just such a smart player that helps win games. I see a Jason Zucker type.
5. Jeremie Poirier- Not as polished as Pelts or Coronato, but I think he's got a chance to pop. His skating is special and that plays at the NHL level. He's not great in the corner but his ability to move the puck is going to help the team in the defensive zone as a totality.
6. Etienne Morin- Honestly I was clamouring for the Flames to get a first round pick to get this guy late in the first. The fact he slipped is pretty crazy. He was on a bad team and put up good numbers. The Q has seemed to be a little underrated of late.

Solid Prospects
7. Connor Zary- I see an NHL player here. He needs to get stronger but I think he will fit in a middle six role at the NHL level at some point. Lacks high end IQ to rank him in
8. Walker Dueher- Speed kills at the NHL level. I think he will be a solid bottom six contributor for the Flames.
9. Ilya Solovyov- Strong defensively. Always stood out to me for his ability to get up and down the ice. Doubt he becomes a great player but I think the chances of him becoming a 4-6 D are pretty solid.

Guys with a chance to play
9. Lucas Ciona- Hopefully he becomes the next Ferland. Guys who can skate and play physical tend to translate pretty well. Not expecting that of him but he definitely is an intriguing prospect.
10. Areseni Sergeev- Good goalie prospect. Interesting to see how he does in year 2 in Providence as the guy.
11. Aydar Suniev- Kid has a lot of potential but is very raw. It'll be interesting to see how he does in college.
12. Parker Bell. Size and production. Could be a late bloomer.
13-15. Ronni, Stromgren, Kuznetsov. Gotta go with the second rounders even though I think they all lack IQ to play in the NHL. These guys seemed to fit the Sutter build more. GOod skaters but I just don't see the things that really make players successful in the NHL.

The rest are pretty much wildcards to me at this point but you never know how young players will develop.

Honestly wouldn't change much in the 1-10 portion of this ranking. I'd maybe switch Honzek and Coronato as well as Morin and Zary mostly because I value how close a player is to NHL ready more than most. Like to see how they put in the work after draft day before making a real judgement. I'm not super high on Zary but I could definitely see a similar player to Max Domi 45-60pt if he can continue to progress. He plays inside a lot, has great hands.

Good to see another Solovyov enjoyer, really quite a solid dman that I wouldn't mind seeing get a long look at camp for the #7 spot if Oesterle and Gilbert aren't up to snuff. The 10-20 positions are mostly about personal preference. What are your thoughts on Schwindt, MEP, and Klapka? Also kind of curious to see if/how Ben Jones figures into the Flames plans.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
1) Wolf - I love how fast he is. I think the way the game is trending this type of goalie's stock is going to go up compared to the big blocking butterfly guys. Quick feet like Kipper and anticipates at an elite level. Will be an interesting year for him, my major concern is how he is going to see pucks through traffic at the NHL level.

2) Coronato - a Top 6 RS RWer prospect this org has been lacking for a long time. Just knows where to be and where to go to score goals. If he works on his separation burst could be a very dangerous sniper. Should be on the team this season.

3) Honzek - great tools, haven't really seen enough of him to judge whether they're likely to come together or not. Always a little wary of drafting a tall bean pole with speed because as you put weight on some of that advantage can be lost. If the gods are good this is the center prospect we've needed for basically forever.

4) Pelletier - always been impressed with his all around game for a player his age. Great battle level and moves the puck quickly. I think his offensive ceiling might take some time to realize but once he is comfortable with his role in the NHL I expect him to be a consistent contributor. His playmaking in zone is a great aspect to have. Was the best skater in the playoffs for the Wranglers last year.

5) Poirier - great natural athlete, maybe the best of the bunch. His skating, shot, and hands would already be good at the NHL level. His defense however, yeah not quite there. Still a ways to go as far as puck management but his actual off the puck defending isn't too bad and has vastly improved since junior. Reminds me of Vince Dunn.

6) Zary - still a Zary believer. Took a big step last season after losing much of the prior one to injury. Needs to take another probably before he gets his NHL shot but you never know if he has a great camp. Decision making can still be an issue.

7) Morin - similar profile to Poirier. Another great natural athlete. I actually think his hockey IQ is better than Poirier, has better vision. Needs a lot of refinement defensively but most of the stuff he's bad at gets taught at the pro level anyway.

8) Duehr - + speed size shot. That alone gets your foot in the door. Hope he can build on his success with the big club last season. Was disappointing for the Wranglers in the playoffs. Fairly simple game from Walker but lots of guys with a foundation like he has have had long careers.

9) MEP - might raise some eyebrows with this one but I still think there's something there with this player. Love the way he uses his teammates and his all around game is very solid. Hard to project because at his size he basically needs to be in the top 9. Obviously the Flames feel he's worth keeping around and I'm happy they did. Might never turn into anything but could also fit that late bloomer profile.

10) Solovyov - was the Wranglers 2nd best all around defenseman after DeSimone last season. Big body, mean in the crease and the boards, skates well and has a good first pass. Don't see him as a top 4 in the NHL but he could definitely be an above average bottom pairing guy.

11) Schwindt - I want this player to be Adam Lowry. Wishful thinking probably but really solid defensively, heavy shot, and seems like he thinks the game well. Numbers look underwhelming but he was used almost exclusively in a checking role. Needs to be more physically imposing with his size.

12) Suniev - I like this player and I like this pick. Great release, big and rangy, moves well for his size. I think i'mma call him Slick.

13) Ciona - impressive Junior career definitely. Not nothing he was captain of the 2022-23 Seattle Thunderbirds, that was one of the better junior teams of the last 20 years. Definitely more of a bottom 6 prospect but I'd have to think he's raised his stock significantly since being drafted in the 6th round. Type of guy you win with.

14) Kuznetsov - still has the tools to be a NHL player, still hasn't put them together with any consistency. Might be a longer term project than the Flames were hoping for but his edgework and size still can be an asset. Only 21 years old.

15) Klapka - he's very big. Was pretty solid for the farm team. Did what was asked of him, caused some chaos in front of the net, stood up for his teammates, and has surprisingly smooth skating and hands for a guy that's 6'8. Probably not ever going to be a regular NHLer but I think there's enough underlying talent there to keep an eye on him anyway.

16) Sergeev - USHL Goaltender of the Year. We'll see how he does against higher comp.

17) Bell - Big dude, played a couple games for the Wranglers last year. Productive end to his junior career, intrigued to see what he looks like this season.

18) Stromgren - speedy forecheckers with size are always useful to have. Remember liking this pick but hasn't been all that impressive since draft day. Hopefully now that he's over in NA he can find some consistency.

19) Pospisil - hope he has a healthy year. Could still see him being a decent energy 4th line guy. Always causing chaos and stirring the pot.

20) Kerins - prefer him to Ronni, talented guy with a lot of runway left. Curious to see if he can stick with the Wranglers if they graduate some guys.

Then you got guys like Jones, Gilbert, DeSimone, Bishop, etc where I'm not sure they fit. Not really prospects, but really more likely to see NHL time this season than a lot of these players.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I prefer not to get my hopes up about anybody. I've seen too many Flames draft picks that were touted as the next star to be and they end up disappearing into obscurity or at best relative mediocrity. That said, I'm breaking my own rule when it comes to Dustin Wolf. I don't think the Flames have ever had a rookie goalie that showed so much promise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad