Prospect Info: Calgary Wranglers and Prospect Discussion Megathread

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Couple of our recent LW picks have had a pretty good December

Parker Bell had 21 points in 11 games
Luca Ciona had 18 points in 12 games

I think both graduate to AHL next year, along with Jack Beck who's been out for a couple months. Would have to think Pospisil is done after this year, but hopefully they can resign Pettersen to take Pelletier's spot on the top line.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I think both graduate to AHL next year, along with Jack Beck who's been out for a couple months.
I haven't seen a second of his play, but I don't think he has a chance to play AHL next season. He seems to be injured all the time, 2nd or 3rd season in the row where he missed a lot of games. Probably one reason he dropped.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Folks, when are the Flames gonna start taking Dustin Wolf seriously and dump deadweight Markstrom?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Nice to see the guys you want progressing, progressing.

The team didn't skip a beat with Phillips in the NHL, Pelletier and Zary are two of the three top scorers on the team. Poirier is tied for 10th in the league in rookie scoring as a D. Wolf is far and away the best goalie in the entire league, 2nd in GAA and SV% while playing ridiculous amount of games (apparently they're starting him on the Sutter treatment).

I honestly think Pelletier is closer to being an everyday NHL forward. This team won't have much room next year and I expect some of these kids to take the leap.

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

The team didn't skip a beat with Phillips in the NHL, Pelletier and Zary are two of the three top scorers on the team. Poirier is tied for 10th in the league in rookie scoring as a D. Wolf is far and away the best goalie in the entire league, 2nd in GAA and SV% while playing ridiculous amount of games (apparently they're starting him on the Sutter treatment).

I honestly think Pelletier is closer to being an everyday NHL forward. This team won't have much room next year and I expect some of these kids to take the leap.

Parkel Bell was named WHL player of the month, not bad for a 2022 5th rounder

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Can't believe we had the opportunity to draft Stankoven but decided on picking Stromgren instead. That guy will be a top 6 forward for Dallas.

What a waste of a 2nd rounder that is - I feel like Bell and Ciona already are overtaking Stromgren on the LW depth chart.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Can't believe we had the opportunity to draft Stankoven but decided on picking Stromgren instead. That guy will be a top 6 forward for Dallas.

What a waste of a 2nd rounder that is - I feel like Bell and Ciona already are overtaking Stromgren on the LW depth chart.
look back to the GM Sutter draft years....then welcome to the future of more of the same

Sutter should not be consulted on, asked about, or given input on any draft choices, trades, or signings.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Stromgren raises the question of whether we've had a single Euro draft pick pan out throughout the Treliving era?

Ruzicka is one, but he had been playing in the OHL. Our amateur scouting in Finland, Sweden etc is pretty weak

Edit: Oopsie re: Ras and Olli. I still think our recent euro drafting isn't great

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Stromgren raises the question of whether we've had a single Euro draft pick pan out throughout the Treliving era?

Ruzicka is one, but he had been playing in the OHL. Our amateur scouting in Finland, Sweden etc is pretty weak
Have we already forgot Kylington exists?

Reactions: Haatley

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I still have hope that Stromgren and Ronni will be signed and end up contributing to the organization. Stromgren had some decent moments at the WJC where you can see the tools. I think a top 6 spot on a CHL team is what he needs not struggling for playing time in Sweden. Also Ronni is a solidly built kid.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I still have hope that Stromgren and Ronni will be signed and end up contributing to the organization. Stromgren had some decent moments at the WJC where you can see the tools. I think a top 6 spot on a CHL team is what he needs not struggling for playing time in Sweden. Also Ronni is a solidly built kid.

Still early on those guys.
You want to see them in NA before you make any sweeping judgements.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Wranglers beat the Condors for the 5th time this season this afternoon at the Dome. Honestly was mostly just a Dustin Wolf diff. Calgary didn't play that well and were outshot handily.

Phillips GWG, his 20th of the season already. Nikolayev played his first AHL game of the season and was quite good, had some chances. Emilio a bit of quieter night but if the big club is looking for guys who can transport the puck through the NZ with control and gain entry he might be their best bet on the farm club.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Wranglers beat the Canucks 3-2 in OT. Phillips with the winner 7 seconds in. Still leads the AHL in goals.

Calgary were great in the 1st half, got outplayed in the 2nd. Wolf made a lot of fantastic saves, the Wrangler defense allowed a lot. Liked Poirier and Klapka. Zohorna was also strong defensively.

Last edited:

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011

To add to this, he's first among AHL rookie defense in points, and 13th among ALL league defense in points. He's putting together a great season.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Walker Duehr. 6 games in, has not looked out of place.

Twice now Greg Millen has compared this guy to Zach Hyman. Stylistically, I see it. I doubt he'll ever become a top six winger, but he's certainly proven capable of a regular shift.

Someone translate his college #s for me. Is there talent that he could be a 20 goal guy in the NHL or is that simply a pipe dream?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

Twice now Greg Millen has compared this guy to Zach Hyman. Stylistically, I see it. I doubt he'll ever become a top six winger, but he's certainly proven capable of a regular shift.

Someone translate his college #s for me. Is there talent that he could be a 20 goal guy in the NHL or is that simply a pipe dream?
I think he might be a 20 goals in his career kinda guy but he reminds me of Hathaway with less snarl. Nice having a dependable 4th line rhs

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

I've definitely seen enough from him to think he's capable of carving out a career as a role player in the NHL. Whether or not he can sustain it or improve to the next level remains to be seen. I haven't seen a large enough sample size to judge either way yet.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Edit: Oopsie re: Ras and Olli. I still think our recent euro drafting isn't great

I wouldn't consider Ruzicka or Ras as euro drafted, they were both drafted from the CHL. Maybe you could say Ras because Loob was consulted IIRC about his Malmo days, but other than Ollie who was drafted out of the SHL,I can't remember for the life of me a Euro from Europe we drafted that has actually played for us in like 10-15 years.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I wouldn't consider Ruzicka or Ras as euro drafted, they were both drafted from the CHL. Maybe you could say Ras because Loob was consulted IIRC about his Malmo days, but other than Ollie who was drafted out of the SHL,I can't remember for the life of me a Euro from Europe we drafted that has actually played for us in like 10-15 years.
You are forgiven for forgetting about Noted Flames Draft Picks Markus Granlund in 2011, and that Tom Erickson guy in 2009.

Not really concerning though, lots of European guys are coming over to NA as teenagers to play in the junior leagues in North America.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Wranglers take a 4-3 win over the Ontario Reign at the dome. Neither team played all that well, Calgary outshot them by a good margin but not a lot of great chances.

Wolf made some good saves, might want the 1st goal back. MEP was great again, for my money the Wranglers' best all around player. Zary drove offense and made some solid plays in the NZ. Zohorna had an awful giveaway that resulted in the 2nd GA but rebounded well scoring on a scramble in the slot and then helping to setup the winner. Rematch is tomorrow @ 7pm.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Backlund came out of Europe.

Man, that was a long time ago lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad