GDT: Calgary Iginla (41-16-7) vs Minnesota Not Iginla (31-27-6) | 6:30PM Jersey Ceremony, 8PM Game Start

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I’m not gonna be one of the guys crucifying Smith in this thread, but I think we can all agree that the Zucker goal was incredibly frustrating to watch and entirely avoidable.

It's Smith showing off....not just the goal but at least a couple other close calls as well.

It's frustrating when your goalie's best skill is handling the puck

It's rubbing off Rittich in a bad way also

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Smith was not his best last night that’s for sure, but I don’t fault him for the loss. No one should expect any goalie to be perfect every single game, Kipper sure wasn’t either. Kipper was very prone to allow a bad goal fairly frequently, what made him so incredible is that he would not allow goals at crucial times in the game.

Rittich’s play really hasn’t been any better than Smith’s say for the last month. Smith has actually outplayed him. Both goalies have winning records over that time frame largely because of how our team is playing in front of them. The Flames played okay last night, they did have moments of high pressure but that also wasn’t consistent all game. Dubnyk was the biggest reason the Flames last night, not Smith.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Smith was not his best last night that’s for sure, but I don’t fault him for the loss. No one should expect any goalie to be perfect every single game, Kipper sure wasn’t either. Kipper was very prone to allow a bad goal fairly frequently, what made him so incredible is that he would not allow goals at crucial times in the game.

You really want to compare Smith with Kipper?

It's not just last night. Smith has already proved he can be consistently bad...not just once in awhile

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You really want to compare Smith with Kipper?

It's not just last night. Smith has already proved he can be consistently bad...not just once in awhile

I didn’t compare Smith to anyone. I can also say Smith has proven he can be consistently good. I’m also not saying he didn’t have an off game, he did. But there’s no reason to think he won’t be better the next start he gets.

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Utter garbage... the Flames come off a 7 game winning streak ... Still lead the Western Conference by 5 points.... Celebrated the greatest Flame ever... and many destroy Iggy's night by crucifying Smith. Winning streaks come to an end and rather than let this thread celebrate Iggy many of you can't let it go for a day. PATHETIC.

Thanks Iggy

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I didn’t compare Smith to anyone. I can also say Smith has proven he can be consistently good. I’m also not saying he didn’t have an off game, he did. But there’s no reason to think he won’t be better the next start he gets.

We'll revisit after the end of the playoff! For the Flames sake I hope you are right but I am not holding my breath.

Smith is bad news and the weakest link on the team.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We'll revisit after the end of the playoff! For the Flames sake I hope you are right but I am not holding my breath.

Smith is bad news and the weakest link on the team.

What I feel confident about is that we have 2 capable goalies that can play at a similar level when on their games. Mid season Smith had a very good stretch of play before he tweaked an injury and then he stumbled for a bit. But Rittich was playing incredible so he covered the slack for him. Rittich has just been “okay” of late, and Smith for the most part (last night aside) has been very solid, so he’s been covering for Rittich. I think between the two of them we should be feeling good about things.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What I feel confident about is that we have 2 capable goalies that can play at a similar level when on their games. Mid season Smith had a very good stretch of play before he tweaked an injury and then he stumbled for a bit. But Rittich was playing incredible so he covered the slack for him. Rittich has just been “okay” of late, and Smith for the most part (last night aside) has been very solid, so he’s been covering for Rittich. I think between the two of them we should be feeling good about things.

Blaming his problem on injury is a myth. Smith has never been consistently good. I have been following him since his days in Dallas. Now he is much older, he is more consistently bad than good.

But you are right, there is not much we can do now this year except to hope for the best.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Todd Simpson, Al Coates, I think Toni Lydman... and I can't recall the first player beside coates, even when they announced him.
Chris Dingman. Don't think Lydman was there, the blond guy was Dean McAmmond.

I only remember Dingman because I was mildly surprised. Then realized these were his friends who happened to be former teammates.

Reactions: Janks

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Chris Dingman. Don't think Lydman was there, the blond guy was Dean McAmmond.

I only remember Dingman because I was mildly surprised. Then realized these were his friends who happened to be former teammates.

It totally was Dean, yeah. Yeah Dingman was the one where I had to stop and be like... who?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Utter garbage... the Flames come off a 7 game winning streak ... Still lead the Western Conference by 5 points.... Celebrated the greatest Flame ever... and many destroy Iggy's night by crucifying Smith. Winning streaks come to an end and rather than let this thread celebrate Iggy many of you can't let it go for a day. PATHETIC.

Thanks Iggy

You're exagerating and over reacting. Iggy's night hasn't been destroyed because fans had the gall to complain about Smith's terrible performance in net... And behind it. Get a grip. A year from now everyone will still remember the ceremony. Nobody will remember how Smith shit the bed.... And if they do that's on Smith not the fans.

Reactions: Mitts

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
You're exagerating and over reacting. Iggy's night hasn't been destroyed because fans had the gall to complain about Smith's terrible performance in net... And behind it. Get a grip. A year from now everyone will still remember the ceremony. Nobody will remember how Smith **** the bed.... And if they do that's on Smith not the fans.
If anything, people are upset BECAUSE we lost on Iggy's night

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I had this circled as a sleeper game being the first one back from a road trip and with the Leafs in town on Monday. I was hoping the Iggy ceremony might help but really that creates a bit of a lull before the game too by having to wait. We’re still in the drivers seat for the division

Give Rittich the next two and start Smith against Arizona on the back to back

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I had this circled as a sleeper game being the first one back from a road trip and with the Leafs in town on Monday. I was hoping the Iggy ceremony might help but really that creates a bit of a lull before the game too by having to wait. We’re still in the drivers seat for the division

Actually I had the opposite feeling. After that great ceremony I was pumped. I figured the Flames who were most likely watching it also would be too. I also don't believe the Flames had to wait. The ceremony went right on schedule and the Flames are used to 8:00 pm starts where Hockey Night in Canada has dbl headers and the Flames quite frequently get the late 8:00 pm start time.
Yes we are still drivers but our cushion is much thinner now. I don't want to have to play Vegas and Fleury in the 1st round. Better to have SJ and Vegas beat each other up in the 1st round and then play the winner than us doing that and meeting SJ in the 2nd.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I'm not shocked this game was a let down either. They looked exhausted in NJ and had a long trip back .I also feel like any ceremony like this motivates the road team more than the home team, it was also easier for the Wild as they didn't have to sit on the bench a d be apart of it.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'm not shocked this game was a let down either. They looked exhausted in NJ and had a long trip back .I also feel like any ceremony like this motivates the road team more than the home team, it was also easier for the Wild as they didn't have to sit on the bench a d be apart of it.
The Wild were spectators for it though, not sure if that’s what you mean. Both teams were present for the ceremony.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Actually I had the opposite feeling. After that great ceremony I was pumped. I figured the Flames who were most likely watching it also would be too. I also don't believe the Flames had to wait. The ceremony went right on schedule and the Flames are used to 8:00 pm starts where Hockey Night in Canada has dbl headers and the Flames quite frequently get the late 8:00 pm start time.
Yes we are still drivers but our cushion is much thinner now. I don't want to have to play Vegas and Fleury in the 1st round. Better to have SJ and Vegas beat each other up in the 1st round and then play the winner than us doing that and meeting SJ in the 2nd.

I agree about the matchup but we’re in a better position to win our division over every team other than Tampa. We have the easiest remaining schedule out of all teams as well

I have to stop and think about a loss sometimes because it’s almost like we’re so used to being let down as flames fans that we think are going to go straight south at the first sign of adversity lol

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
After watching this team for almost 40 years there is only 1 year that can compare to this one. 1989 and I would argue we have a stronger team this year.

In regards to the goalie situation Vernon was plagued by this same BS. He only went on to win another cup with Detroit and winning the Conn Smythe along the way.

Enjoy the moment and relish where we are.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Hanifin is really to blame on the second goal I don’t get why he didn’t call a switch with Smith and assume the goaltender position for the remainder of the shift and allow Smith to move to LD
I have nightmares about that play.. well not really but I'm sure I will remember it for a loooooong time. Smith was like a dog with a bone and he just wasn't willing to give it up come hell or high water. Right now, when I think of Smith that what immediately pops into my mind. Certainly not one of his finer moments. Can we bolt a truck winch to the front of the net and attach the hook to the back of Smith's jersey and give the remote to Peters?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I have nightmares about that play.. well not really but I'm sure I will remember it for a loooooong time. Smith was like a dog with a bone and he just wasn't willing to give it up come hell or high water. Right now, when I think of Smith that what immediately pops into my mind. Certainly not one of his finer moments. Can we bolt a truck winch to the front of the net and attach the hook to the back of Smith's jersey and give the remote to Peters?

I hate defending Smith as much as the next guy but - **** happens. If Andersson doesn't cough the puck up on a bad blue line pinch it's a 2-2 game and I doubt Smith lets in the softy either and you're going into OT.

Move on.

But Rittich is the better goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad