Calgary Flames 2014 Draft Thread Part Deux

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I'm just curious, would you guys trade Sven for Fleury?

I like fleury and I think a lot of fans jump on him because of his glass-made confidence but I wouldn't give sven for him and mainly because of age and potential. Sven is more useful to us at this time given we decent goaltending and are trying to incorporate youth.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
If its Hayden Fleury we would seriously consider it. Its pretty much our organizational weakness - large puck moving defensemen in a top 4 role.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Do this in a heartbeat. He is a physical defenseman but is mobile and has a good offensive element to his game. He's a real workhorse, can play 25+ minutes a night and still be effective. Always plays against the opponents best players.

Very fast defenseman and great footwork. Skating bavkwards he's aware of where he is and where his opponents are. Protects the middle well on the rush. Knows when to jump in rush and is effective in it. Fleury is strong and will push you around. Harder to play against than Ekblad on a consistent basis. Never takes bad penalties.

Good puck mover and has a great two line pass. Good poise for his age. Takes smart sjots from the point and finds the lane well. Has a high hockey I.Q and has all the tools needed to be a successful defenseman in the NHL. He's just what the Flames need.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wonder if a team around 7-8 would bite on Baertschi if Fleury is still on the board? We just have such an excess of wingers and Fleury would be an awesome pickup. I also think Klimchuk is going to be a real good player, I just have a feeling about that kid.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I wonder if a team around 7-8 would bite on Baertschi if Fleury is still on the board? We just have such an excess of wingers and Fleury would be an awesome pickup. I also think Klimchuk is going to be a real good player, I just have a feeling about that kid.

I doing we could get a 7/8th pick for Sven but we wouldn't need to. I bet he goes 13th to WSH, if he slips by Anaheim who we could get the to bite but no way PHX and NSH take Fleury given their lack of scoring and defense surplus.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Do this in a heartbeat. He is a physical defenseman but is mobile and has a good offensive element to his game. He's a real workhorse, can play 25+ minutes a night and still be effective. Always plays against the opponents best players.

Very fast defenseman and great footwork. Skating bavkwards he's aware of where he is and where his opponents are. Protects the middle well on the rush. Knows when to jump in rush and is effective in it. Fleury is strong and will push you around. Harder to play against than Ekblad on a consistent basis. Never takes bad penalties.

Good puck mover and has a great two line pass. Good poise for his age. Takes smart sjots from the point and finds the lane well. Has a high hockey I.Q and has all the tools needed to be a successful defenseman in the NHL. He's just what the Flames need.

Fleury kinda reminds me of Dougie Hamilton. I like the kid. I would probably do this trade.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
That's also a good comparison. All 3 guys pinch an awful lot but have good instincts for when to do it, and have the skating to get back in time.

Goflames3

Jan 25, 2013
So if the flames had a choice between MDC or Bennett, who would you choose? Because I feel Bennett will fall to us! From what people are saying that bennett isn't worth taking? Why isn't he worth it?

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
You compared Hanzal to LD which is just idiotic. Hanzal's passing, hands and I.Q are and were nowhere near Draisaitl's. You said we need a player with a great shot. Dal Colle's and Draisaitl's are even. Draisaitl has a quicker release and Dal Colle has more power and acvuracy is even. You said we need speed. We don't, we have tons of scpring wingers that are fast. Like mentioned there Draisaitl is a big center which is what we need. Backlund/Monahan/Granlund/Stajan/Arnold are all small. Janko is our only big one. And Monahan is big but doesn't play too big. Like said by Volica

BPA: everyone has Leon higher
NHL readyness: Draisaitl gor his size
NEED FOR PROSPECT LIKE THEM: Draisaitl, big center that's an elite passer or another left winger. MDC isn't like our other LWers but still.
SIZE: LD
SKILL: LD

There you go. Draisaitl did better on a much, much, much, much, much worse team. There have been two knocks on Draisaitl. Speed which I'm not gonna argue he's slow but his skating is fine. Great balance and footwork. Amd hos consistency which that fear has been put to bed because of his last 2 months. Don't see how MDC is better than Draisaitl, why do you think so? We have one passer near Draisaitl's ability and that's Jankowski but who knows how that's gonna turn out and still LD's passing is off the charts. His puck protection is amazing and top hockey sense. MDC also had the luxury of playing with the best team in the CHL and one of the best players in Scott Laughton. He had a great team, Draisaitl had Reid Gardner to play with.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1651399&page=3

Spent a good part of my day analyzing why the formula MDC > LD is the correct answer for the Flames. You also can't even compare the ceiling of a German hockey player to a Canadian hockey player. Safer choice going with the North American talent here.

You realize Draisaitl has been playing with PA in the dub for years right? And dominating against predominantly 'North American Talent'.

I'm fairly neutral, I was set on Draisaitl, changed my mind to Dal Colle and have since came back to Draisaitl. This is why:

Dal Colle is faster, and has a better shot - probably the best in the draft. If he played heavier it wouldn't necessarily help him as he doesn't play physical at all and speed is a big asset for his particular game. Draisaitl is a much better playmaker, passer (either the best or 2nd in draft) with better hockey IQ and vision. He is more physical, better defensively and protects the puck better. They've both played center, but Dal Colle has been pushed to the wing due to Laughton playing with the Gens this year. Dal Colle could yet become a very good center in the future, but we don't know that. Draisaitl has a step on him as a developed center as he has played the position all year. I think Draisaitl is more of a natural center which is more valued than a winger - especially for the Flames who have been searching for a number one center for more than a decade.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Dal Colle plays physical, he's just not violent. Similar to Couturier in that regard. He uses his strength to protect the puck and outwork players in the corners.

I also disagree that Draisaitl is a much better passer/playmaker. Better? Yes. But not by a huge margin. Dal Colle is a tremendous passer and playmaker.

Hockey IQ and defense are a wash IMO. It's something both have as strengths. I don't think one is clearly better than the other in that regard.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Dal Colle plays physical, he's just not violent. Similar to Couturier in that regard. He uses his strength to protect the puck and outwork players in the corners.

I also disagree that Draisaitl is a much better passer/playmaker. Better? Yes. But not by a huge margin. Dal Colle is a tremendous passer and playmaker.

Hockey IQ and defense are a wash IMO. It's something both have as strengths. I don't think one is clearly better than the other in that regard.

Dal Colle is a good passer on the rush, other than that he's not that good, Draisaitl's passing is a lot better. MDC has better D, Draisaitl has better I.Q. Draisaitl's more physical

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad