Calgary Flames 2014 Draft Thread Part Deux

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
4th Overall - Michael Dal Colle - Enough's been said about him. We all know why he'd be a good option.

34th Overall - Marcus Pettersson - He's a lanky mofo at 6 foot 3 and 160 pounds and he's raw, but has good mobility and great position. His passing game is probably the most impressive part of his game.

58th Overall - Jack Glover - Big two-way defender out of the USHL. Listed as 6 foot 6.5 on the latest CSS ranking, but he's probably closer to 6 foot 4. Still he's huge, he's a righty, he's mobile, he's got good on ice IQ in all zones, and he's physical. Heading to U of Minnesota next season. Good outlet pass and moves the puck pretty well.

64th Overall - Nick Magyar - One of three American players playing for the Kitchener Rangers. He has probably the best offensive skill set of the three. Was more impressive this year than MacInnis IMO. Has a good cycle game and plays the forecheck well. Plus he's a RW. Strong hockey sense, and good size at 6 foot 2, 190ish pounds.

85th Overall - Blake Siebenaler- Rookie dman for the Ice Dogs this season. He only recently was transitioned to be a dman (before his OHL time) and thus he's raw in his defensive game, but as the season wore on he showed lots of defensive improvement. He's a very smart player. PMD type dman similar to Gardiner stylistically. Righty dman, of average size. Has high upside, and personally I was more impressed with him than I was with Haydon.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
4th Overall - Michael Dal Colle - Enough's been said about him. We all know why he'd be a good option.

34th Overall - Marcus Pettersson - He's a lanky mofo at 6 foot 3 and 160 pounds and he's raw, but has good mobility and great position. His passing game is probably the most impressive part of his game.

58th Overall - Jack Glover - Big two-way defender out of the USHL. Listed as 6 foot 6.5 on the latest CSS ranking, but he's probably closer to 6 foot 4. Still he's huge, he's a righty, he's mobile, he's got good on ice IQ in all zones, and he's physical. Heading to U of Minnesota next season. Good outlet pass and moves the puck pretty well.

64th Overall - Nick Magyar - One of three American players playing for the Kitchener Rangers. He has probably the best offensive skill set of the three. Was more impressive this year than MacInnis IMO. Has a good cycle game and plays the forecheck well. Plus he's a RW. Strong hockey sense, and good size at 6 foot 2, 190ish pounds.

85th Overall - Blake Siebenaler- Rookie dman for the Ice Dogs this season. He only recently was transitioned to be a dman (before his OHL time) and thus he's raw in his defensive game, but as the season wore on he showed lots of defensive improvement. He's a very smart player. PMD type dman similar to Gardiner stylistically. Righty dman, of average size. Has high upside, and personally I was more impressed with him than I was with Haydon.

I like these picks

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Do you guys actually know some of these players?

Like, I have no idea who Nick Magyar, Blake Siebenaler, or even Jack Glover are.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
I really like Seibenaler as a 3rd rounder, think Glover might get picked earlier, but who knows...

I was reading on the main boards about Burke not liking Draisaitl, does anyone have the link or quote regarding this? Have been away for a couple of weeks and apparently missed some interviews.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I really like Seibenaler as a 3rd rounder, think Glover might get picked earlier, but who knows...

I was reading on the main boards about Burke not liking Draisaitl, does anyone have the link or quote regarding this? Have been away for a couple of weeks and apparently missed some interviews.

Agree with Glover. I'd like to trade the Pens pick for a young NHLer.

Hope Burke/Draisaitl thing is either a) untrue or B) a plan to get the Oilers not liking Draisaitl then we can pick him. :D

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

He said in one interview he wasn't a fan of the 'German kid.' A second interview, about a week or two later, had him place Draisaitl firmly in the top five, saying he had size and skill.

Most of the statements are coming from Nuck fans (and from fans of teams picking after Calgary) hoping Burke takes Ritchie so a top five talent can drop down to them. Mostly wishful thinking.

HoshiBlitz

Jul 10, 2011
Red mile.

Would love Glover and Magyar but I don't think the former will be available at 58.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Would love Glover and Magyar but I don't think the former will be available at 58.

CSS has Magyar at #32, and Glover at #37 among North American Skaters.

It is highly unlikely that either player is available at those points in the draft, let alone both.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Glover and/or Dougherty would be good defenseman pick ups in the 2nd round. If McKeown is somehow still on the board at pick #34, I would take him.

I still stand on getting that RWer of Hunter Smith later in the third round (pick 85th with Colorado's pick).

6'6, 210 lbs, RWer. I sense truculence.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
CSS has Magyar at #32, and Glover at #37 among North American Skaters.

It is highly unlikely that either player is available at those points in the draft, let alone both.

Yeah I've definitely thrown a little luck into it but it's not impossible. Those don't include Euro skaters or NA/Euro goalies. It's pretty feasible that we could see 6 Euro skaters go in the first round alone, plus 2-3 goalies go in the 2nd (Nedel and Demko particularily), plus a bunch of 2nd rounder potential Europeans.

So it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Do you guys actually know some of these players?

Like, I have no idea who Nick Magyar, Blake Siebenaler, or even Jack Glover are.

I'm sort of a draft junkie. Follow it all year.

Siebenaler and Magyar are some of my favorite prospects in the draft. And since I'm from ON, I actually get to see them occasionally in person.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I'm sort of a draft junkie. Follow it all year.

Siebenaler and Magyar are some of my favorite prospects in the draft. And since I'm from ON, I actually get to see them occasionally in person.

I'm a draft junkee as well. I really like Magyar. He's a complete player with elite hockey sense. Wants the puck on his stick. Very good forechecker and backchecker. And plays a good cycle game. He hasn't scored a lot this year (46 points in 66 games) but he's among the top rookie scorers.

Goflames3

Jan 25, 2013
Draft selection @ #4??

Im really curious on who the flames are going to select at #4. Will Bennett slide to 4th? Is he worth picking or is someone else? Like burke said... they will pick the best player available! So if its a LW what are we going to do with the log jam?

Curious on who's the better selection?

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Im really curious on who the flames are going to select at #4. Will Bennett slide to 4th? Is he worth picking or is someone else? Like burke said... they will pick the best player available! So if its a LW what are we going to do with the log jam?

Curious on who's the better selection?

I predict we'll draft Bennett. Draisaitl will be drafted 3rd. If Bennett's drafted 3rd then Draisaitl. I want Leon

TheClassicK*

Leon's Furniture?
477.gif

TheClassicK*

MDC>LD. It's as simple as that and I'm hoping Burke & Treliving think the same.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
MDC vs LD, both are great prospects - fairly equal, but I think LD actually fits Calgary better. Its going to be a matter of the type of player that management wants.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Dal Colle is a lot more versatile. There's more tools in his box. And he's got the most room to grow in terms of putting on strength. Draisaitl probably won't get much bigger than he is now. Just imagine how good Dal Colle would have been this year if he was playing at 205 lbs.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I didn't think about MDC with 30 more pounds. I still like Draisaitl. Uses his size so well. Protects the puck. He's got soft hands and the best passer in the draft. His passing is unreal. Has a lightning quick re
Ease on uis shot and a nice backhand. His Hockey I.Q is very high and one of his best qualities. His defenseive game is equal to Dal Colle and equal in the corners. He is a slow skater butnhe slows the game down and dictates the speed. And has great balance and his mechanics are fine. Just speed. Reminds me ov Joe Thorton. Haydn Fleury said Draisaitl was the hardest player he's every played against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad