Calgary Flames 2014 Draft Thread Part Deux

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Part one can be found here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1559305

For reference, Calgary picks (as of March 11 standings)

1st (5th) - Calgary's pick
2nd (35th) - Calgary's pick
2nd (55th) - from Colorado in Reto Berra trade
3rd (65th) - pick would not transfer unless Joe Colborne scores 10 goals or 35 points and the Flames make the playoffs
3rd (87th) - from Pittsburgh in Lee Stempniak trade
6th (178th) - from Anaheim in Tim Jackman Trade
7th (185th) - Calgary's pick

Traded picks:
4th (95th) was traded to Toronto for Joe Colborne (pick transfers unless we pull off a miracle run to the playoffs)
5th (125th) was traded to St. Louis for Kris Russell
6th (155th) was traded to Dallas for Lane McDermid (oops)

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if Burke talked to Cammalleri during the deadline and worked out a sign and trade deal with him to stay, with the promise of top minutes for us. I'd be willing to bet the farm this is what happens.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I wouldn't be surprised if Burke talked to Cammalleri during the deadline and worked out a sign and trade deal with him to stay, with the promise of top minutes for us. I'd be willing to bet the farm this is what happens.

You're willing to bet the farm that a sign and trade happen in the NHL? I'm glad I'm not your family! :laugh:

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
5th overall (1st pick): Leon Draisaitl, Prince Albert WHL
52-26-52-78-20•6"2, 215 lbs
He's a player that should be NHL ready next year if not in two years. He's dominated the WHL and carried his team to the playoffs. He's been compared to Joe Thorton and Anze Kopitar. His defense is the best by a forward in this draft. His 200 ft game is phenominal. He makes everyone around him a lot better with his playmaking ability. His work ethic and IQ is elite. He's just a hard worker. Also his backhand is something to run home about
NHL ETA: 2014-2015
NHL COMPARISON: Joe Thorton/Anze Kopitar
FUTURE ROLE: 1st line centre
Option 2-Nick Ritchie RW

TRADE 35th OVERALL, 2015 6th RDP FOR 45th OVERALL, 105th OVERALL

45th overall (2nd pick): Jack Dougherty D, USHL
16-4-7-11-15•6"1, 185 lbs
He's heading to the U of Wisconsin next year. Dougherty is a real smart player. His IQ is his best asset. He knows when to join the rush. He's quick on his feet. Quick shot, fast release. Finds lanes on the PP. Throws his weight around. Can play shut down role. Very strong breaking out. Knows where to put, can put it there.
NHL ETA: 2016-2017
NHL COMPARISON: Dennis Wideman
FUTURE ROLE: 3rd/ 4th defenseman
option 2 Jayce Hawleryuk F

54th overall (3rd pick, COL's pick): Alex Peters D, Plymouth
46-3-5-8-35•6"4 195 lbs
Peters is a big defensive defenseman. He reads plays well in his own end. Finishes his checks. Uses his long reach well. He's getting better offensivley every day. He makes great outlet passes. Active stick. He'll eat big minutes. Especially on the PK. That's one of his specialties. Blocks a lot of shots. Brother of Justin Peters (CAR)
NHL ETA: 2016-2017
NHL COMPARISON: Francois Beachemin
FUTURE ROLE: top 4 defenseman
Option 2-Spencer Watson RW

65th overall (4th pick): Ben Thomas D, Calgary
69-6-24-30-39•6"2, 185 lbs
His emergence was because he became way more consistent. He is another player with high IQ. Great poise. He doesn't make too many mistakes. He takes on a lot of minutes. He's a multi dimential player. Works in all zones. He'll win a lot of battles. Needs to get a bit stronger. He has good stretch passes and can't stres enough is offensive vision.
NHL ETA: 2017/2018
NHL COMPARISON: Kevin Shattenkirk
FUTURE ROLE: 4th defenseman
Option 2-Thatcher Demko G

86th (5th pick PIT pick) Matt Mistele LW, Plymouth
50-15-18-32-48•6"2, 185 lbs
He's Brian Burke's dream player. He's a big, chippy forward. He'll block shots, win the little battles. Hits and drops the gloves. A bit of an agitator. I love his shot. Fast and accurate. His release is quick yet confusing to opponents. He bothers goalies. Crashes the net, tips pucks, grabs rebounds. He's quick on his feet also
NHL ETA: 2015/2016
NHL COMPARISON: Lance Bouma
FUTURE ROLE: 3rd line power forward
Option 2: Ryan Mantha D

Last edited:

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I'm not sold on Draisaitl at all and given the chance I would take Dal Colle over him. I mean if he makes everyone around him better how do you explain his performance in the world juniors? Now having said that admittedly I have not seen him play in the WHL.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I'm not sold on Draisaitl at all and given the chance I would take Dal Colle over him. I mean if he makes everyone around him better how do you explain his performance in the world juniors? Now having said that admittedly I have not seen him play in the WHL.

I'm not sure Crosby could do much better with that German team at the same age lol.

The team was literally Draisaitl and Dominic Kahun. Draisaitl is a playmaker and the team only scored 11 goals. He assisted on 4 of them and scored two of them. He really did as much as he could with what he had. It would be like Crosby being paired up with John Scott. Does Scott's inability to score mean Crosby would be a bad player? Naw.

I'd caution against using such a small sample size as the WJC tourney. It's just not a normal atmosphere and really shouldn't be used as a huge metric for judging a draft eligible player. I mean MacKinnon was fairly disappointing in his year and look what he's doing?

WJC isn't really a great scouting metric

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I understand, but what about him getting frustrated and taking a match penalty.

I don't mind too much. Like Stewie said, he's a young kid, that kind of thing can happen.

I look at it from the opposite side of things, and I see a kid who is passionate about the game and doesn't like losing. I like it. If he did this all the time, then it would be something to be concerned about, but he doesn't have a habit of losing control of his emotions so I wouldn't worry about it too mcuh.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Burke is going to draft a big guy because this franchise already has midgets in Gaudreau, Barteschi along with Hudler and Cammy

That maybe similar to mistakes D.Sutter made. they should focus on the best prospect not size

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Burke is going to draft a big guy because this franchise already has midgets in Gaudreau, Barteschi along with Hudler and Cammy

That maybe similar to mistakes D.Sutter made. they should focus on the best prospect not size

I agree. They could trade for size later down the road.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
2014 FLAMES MOCK DRAFT PART TWO

TRADE
MONTREAL
Gives-Bourque, 4th
Gets-6th

CALGARY
Gives-6th, Jooris
Gets-Gaustad, 4th, 2015 3rd, Bourque

NASHVILLE
Gives-Gaustad, 2015 3rd
Get-Jooris

118th overall (6th pick) Reharts Bogards LW, Brandon OHL
54-22-22-44-42•5"10, 180 lbs
Bogards is a pure goal scorer. Great skater. Quick and agile. His vision in the offensive zone is very good. He is elite on the rush. Able to fake out a defender with fake pass or his dangles. Quick wrist shot. Nice accuracy. Has to work on 200 ft game.
NHL ETA: 2017/2018
NHL COMPARISON: Andrew Cogliano
FUTURE ROLE: 3rd line scoring winger
Option 2-Kaapo Kahkonen G (If we didn't pick Demko)

105th overall (7th pick) Alex Pepin LW, Charlettetown QMJHL
52-12-14-26-67•6"2, 230 lbs
He's a big power poward. Plays a good two way game. Drives to the net while protecting the puck. He has a great shot. He has the strength. Crashes the net. Wins the little battles. He has a high hockey I.Q. He needs more speed though.
NHL ETA: 2015/2016
NHL COMPARISON: David Clarkson
FUTURE ROLE: 3rd line checking forward
Option 2- C.J Franklin RW

185th overall (8th pick) Sebastion Fuchs LW, NAHL
38-8-18-26-12•5"10, 174 lbs
Fuchs (FOOKS) has tremendous offensive upside. Has great speed. Is a long term project but has improved a lot in the past year. His vision is very good. Also is amazing without the puck. Fuchs is heading to the U of Denver in 2015-2016 season.
NHL ETA: 2018/2019
NHL COMPARISON: Tyler Ennis
FUTURE ROLE: energy line forward
Radhim Zohorna LW

UNDRAFTED FA'S
James Winkler RW, Portland
Duncan MacIntyre D, Quebec QMJHL

TOMORROW
•Overall draft review
•2015 draft preview and pick

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
2014 FLAMES MOCK DRAFT PART TWO

TRADE
MINNY
Gives-Heatley, 4th, 2015 3rd
Gets-rights to Mike Cammalleri

CALGARY
Gives-Cammy,*
Gets-Heatley, 4th, 2015 3rd,*2015 3rd, Bertuzzi

DETROIT
Gives-Bertuzzi, 2015 3rd
Get-Wideman (retained 25%), 6th

Minny will not trade for Cammy. They can just let Heatley go at the end of the season and sign Vanek. Much better option than Cammy.

Don't want Bertuzzi. He should have not gone where he was drafted. He wasn't even projected to to go in the draft, yet they picked him in the 2nd(It may workout for Detroit but he already had multiple concussions alone playing in the OHL, missed some time from them). I also doubt Detroit trading for Wideman. Even with 25 % retained It wouldn't be smart for them to take it.

Not good for all teams. Plus, we need Wideman to hit the cap floor.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Minny will not trade for Cammy. They can just let Heatley go at the end of the season and sign Vanek. Much better option than Cammy.

Don't want Bertuzzi. He should have not gone where he was drafted. He wasn't even projected to to go in the draft, yet they picked him in the 2nd(It may workout for Detroit but he already had multiple concussions alone playing in the OHL, missed some time from them). I also doubt Detroit trading for Wideman. Even with 25 % retained It wouldn't be smart for them to take it.

Not good for all teams. Plus, we need Wideman to hit the cap floor.

Switched it up. MIN clears cap. CGY gets picks and makes floor. DET clears cap and gets prospect. And CGY has C log jam

May 27, 2012
Earth
Switched it up. MIN clears cap. CGY gets picks and makes floor. DET clears cap and gets prospect. And CGY has C log jam

Minny doesn`t need to clear cap. Heatley`s contract is done after this season anyways, they don`t have to give up assets whilst adding Vanek in the off-season. How does Reinhart for Bertuzzi and a 3rd benefit us(question mark). Giving up Reinhart for that is foolish. NHL ready imo.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Minny doesn`t need to clear cap. Heatley`s contract is done after this season anyways, they don`t have to give up assets whilst adding Vanek in the off-season. How does Reinhart for Bertuzzi and a 3rd benefit us(question mark). Giving up Reinhart for that is foolish. NHL ready imo.

I thought Heatley and Bertuzzi had another year. Sorry. What about Gaustad, Havlat or Bourque? MTL needs cap for Vanek, SJ needs to keep up with another FA and NSH has no cap as well. Three bad short term contracts.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto

??? Do you mean Jooris?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->