Calder Finalists: Barzal (NYI), Boeser (VAN), Keller (ARIZ).

Jetster231

Mar 6, 2018
Absolute joke Connor wasn't named a finalist.

Lead all rookies with goals 31. At least 3 overtime game winning goals too.

Such a bush league.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

Such a bush league.
He outscored 2nd place by 2 despite playing 14 more games.

He could have gotten the 3rd nod over Keller, but Clayton did even more with significantly less.

Reactions: Canucks5551

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
And if Boeser didn’t get injured you think he wouldn’t have a chance? Laughable if you ask me.

nope, even if Boeser gets 40 goals which would have been very hard given I think he only had like 15 games left and he ended with 29 I am guessing Barzal had it wrapped up in February

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Boeser has a lethal shot and can beat any goalie. 50 goals for him is not out of the question. But hey some people prefer assissts lol.

I mean, you could say that about any kid who has a goal scorer's touch. But there's a difference between "could hit 50" and actually has.

So giving him credit for something he "may" do is kind of weird.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Although Kyle Connor is a rookie in the NHL sense.

Barzal, Boeser, and Keller are true rookies to the pro level. Connor isnt.

I could see them looking at that when they made the decision

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
( my ) Top 3 Calder finalists with "abbreviated" ice time:

DeBrincat (14:48)
Kerfoot (13:10 | play-offs included)
Kempe (14:03 | play-offs included)

DeBrincat 28 goals, 24 assists, 52 points
Kerfoot 21 goals, 24 assists, 45 points
Kempe 16 goals, 21 assists, 37 points

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
All 3 players led their respective teams in scoring as rookies.
So all 3 were pretty clear choices.

1) Without Boeser and Keller the Coyotes and Canucks out tank Buffalo by a mile guaranteed.
2) Barzel outscored Tavares............ Let that sink in ""JOHN TAVARES"" as a rookie and they weren't on the same line.

So all 3 were pretty obvious selections, no offense to McAvoy, Connor and Sergachev.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Dubois should be in that top 10. Probably won't because other guys put up more points, but he played #1C almost the entire year for the Blue Jackets. That means more to me than being able to put up points on a stacked team.

3. Keller
4. MacAvoy
5. Hischier
6. Connor
7. Dubois
8. Gourde
9. Butcher
10. DeBrincat

I'd accept the argument for any order of 5-6-7-8, but I think they're in their own tier.

To me the top 6 was pretty set and the next 7 were pretty interchangeable.

I might’ve been putting too much stock in a bit of a slower start for him, like I maybe put too much stock in a Butcher hot start. Not really something I didna lot of research on, just a quick list off the top of my head.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg

Such a bush league.

As a jets fan it’s definitely not a joke/bush league. Connor was great and definitely could’ve been slotted in the 3rd spot but so could MacAvoy (probably should’ve been there) or Keller.

Keller put up solid numbers while not being on a line with all star caliber guys like Scheif and Wheeler.

Would’ve been nice had he been nominated but a reaction like this just looks over the top homerish.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Curious to see how many points separates Keller, MacAvoy, Hischier, Connor, Gourde, and Butcher.

I have a feeling there's going to be only like 50-100 points separating them since Barzal/Boeser likely ran away with the top two spots.
This was literally the first post to mention 64 point Gourde.

Thank you.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Barzal should win and Boeser is the clear second, but why did Keller finish ahead of McAvoy?

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I don't think that Boston is losing any sleep over not selecting Connor. Passing on Barzal, however, was a huge miss.
Really? Connor had 31 goals and is great at puck retrieval. He's going to be a top player for a very long time. I don't think the Bruins are stupid enough to not regret that miss.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Really? Connor had 31 goals and is great at puck retrieval. He's going to be a top player for a very long time. I don't think the Bruins are stupid enough to not regret that miss.

Because, in the end, I don't think that there will be much difference between Connor and Debrusk. The latter should become a 25-30 goal player with great energy and two-way play. Connor is a great young talent, but I think that Boston is very happy with Debrusk.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Because, in the end, I don't think that there will be much difference between Connor and Debrusk. The latter should become a 25-30 goal player with great energy and two-way play. Connor is a great young talent, but I think that Boston is very happy with Debrusk.

DeBrusk was a good pick.

I have no f***ing idea why they picked Senyshyn where they did.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I have no ****ing idea why they picked Senyshyn where they did.

Thing I don't get with that pick is if they were so high on him they could have dropped 4-5 picks to get him. I am guessing their would have been a couple teams in that 16-20 range willing to pay the price to move up

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Goals should not be favored over assists, IMO.

Barzal was better, even when they were both healthy.
There were about even, when both healthy. Barzal is the faster/flashier player and prefers to play with the puck on his stick, so I can see why people think that he's more effective. But, at the end of the day, the results and impact on the game where pretty much a wash. You also have to factor in that Boeser carried his anemic offense while Barzal played with some pretty elite company on a much better team.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Although Kyle Connor is a rookie in the NHL sense.

Barzal, Boeser, and Keller are true rookies to the pro level. Connor isnt.

I could see them looking at that when they made the decision

? It doesn't matter that he didn't start the season with the Jets. He made his way onto the team, stuck on the team due to his play and put up over 30 goals which is outstanding for a rookie.

I personally have no problem with him not being in the race. For me it would of been Barzal, Boeser and MacAvoy though.

Reactions: Riseonfire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad