Calder Finalists: Barzal (NYI), Boeser (VAN), Keller (ARIZ).

pomx

May 15, 2014
And the passes that lead to those goals make those goals possible. Or did Gretzky have it wrong when he dished off to teammates all those years?
Now your desperate bringing up Gretzky. Go dream in lala land.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
This is easily Barzal but man, what a year for rookies. Some really good ones didn't even place. Curious to see what 4-10 looked like.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Just in case people don't follow the Islanders as closely as I do, allow me to give you a little history lesson on individual awards won by Islanders in the past 25 years:

1996-97: Bryan Berard won the Calder trophy. He played his last NHL game a decade ago.

2001-02: Michael Peca won the Selke trophy. He played his last NHL game 9 years ago.

2010-11: Doug Weight won the King Clancy Memorial Trophy. He now coaches an all offense, no defense system.

2016-17: Travis Hamonic won the NHL Foundation Player Award. Good for him for all the charity work, but this isn't exactly an award earned for on-ice play.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
it's crazy how unappreciative the league is of defense... DEFENSE ok? not defensive players that score goals, i am talking about DEFENSE

here we have Charlie McAvoy entering the team as a top 2D (and id suggest is Boston's best defenseman) on a team that finished 3rd lowest in goals against AND one of the better teams in the league this season

playing over 22mins a night as a 20 year old mind you, in a city that isn't always easy to play in

and he still managed to put up over 30pts and a +20 for you stats buffs

not many 20 year olds enter the league as their team's best defenseman AND be as dominant as the Bruins have

yet Boeser & Keller got a nod over him????

im just fed up of all this PR!

Reactions: SI90 and Instant

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Curious to see how many points separates Keller, MacAvoy, Hischier, Connor, Gourde, and Butcher.

I have a feeling there's going to be only like 50-100 points separating them since Barzal/Boeser likely ran away with the top two spots.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
barzal wins this, he had the slight edge before boeser got hurt, both are awesome

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What a great rookie crop this year. Expect that to continue next year, and the year after, and the year after that.

The quality of young players coming into this league means it's a good time to be a hockey fan.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Could have been a close vote if Boeser hadn't been injured, but as it is it should be an easy win for Barzal.

Reactions: Pure

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Barzal is going to win only because Boeser got injured.
I honestly thought you were being sarcastic until I read your other posts on this thread, Barzal is going to win because he put up 85 points, the most by a rookie since Malkin

Reactions: tgo0

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
it's crazy how unappreciative the league is of defense... DEFENSE ok? not defensive players that score goals, i am talking about DEFENSE

here we have Charlie McAvoy entering the team as a top 2D (and id suggest is Boston's best defenseman) on a team that finished 3rd lowest in goals against AND one of the better teams in the league this season

playing over 22mins a night as a 20 year old mind you, in a city that isn't always easy to play in

not many 20 year olds enter the league as their team's best defenseman AND be as dominant as the Bruins have

It's karma for Samsonov beating Ohlund 20 years ago :sarcasm:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Great post!!!

I said earlier in the year I’d be in favor of 2 calders.

One for the best rookie forward and the other for the best rookie Defensman or goaltender.

pomx

May 15, 2014
I honestly thought you were being sarcastic until I read your other posts on this thread, Barzal is going to win because he put up 85 points, the most by a rookie since Malkin
And if Boeser didn’t get injured you think he wouldn’t have a chance? Laughable if you ask me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad