Calder Finalists: Barzal (NYI), Boeser (VAN), Keller (ARIZ).

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
This is easily Barzal but man, what a year for rookies. Some really good ones didn't even place. Curious to see what 4-10 looked like.

My oder would be:

4/5 Connor/MacAvoy
6 Gourde
7 Hischier
8 DeBrincat
9 Sergachev
10 Butcher

HM: Heinen, Dubois, DeBrusk

Great crop of rookies this year.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Barzal clear winner. I'm glad Boeser wasn't overlooked, I think he's the clear #2. Injuries shouldn't take away from his season. For most of the year he was basically the only real challenger to Barzal. (Maybe McAvoy aswell? I thought he would have been top 3 although Connor/Keller really are both deserving too)

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Without Barzal the Islanders finish dead last in the league easy. The second half of the season the only time in just about every game the team had any sustained posession and didn't look like a tire fire was when him and his line were on the ice.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
After a slow start Connor had a very impressive finish, but his ranking was probably hurt in that he got to be the 3rd piece on Winnipeg's top line with Scheifele and Wheeler/Laine(?). Not to take away from his point totals, but Barzal, Boeser, and Keller were more of the driving force on their lines, same with McAvoy on defense.

Anyway's yeah this one is an obvious choice for Barzal. It's unfortunate that Boeser got taken out of the race early, but even then he was slowing down while Barzal kept it up right through the season. Like I may not be entirely accurate on this, but I think Boeser had roughly 20 goals through his first 30 games, then 10 goals through the next 30, or something like that.

Actually doing a quick search espn gives a game by game breakthrough per player:

Oct 2-7-9
Nov 11-5-16
Dec 8-5-13
Jan 3-3-6
Feb 5-5-10
Mar 0-1-1 (2 games)

Looking at Barzal he was pretty consistent start to finish, Boeser was neck and neck through 2017 but Barzal started pushing ahead in January.

member 290103

With so much weight on his shoulders, Barzel won this award in October. Glad to see Boeser get a nomination, despite no weight on his shoulders.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Should be renamed who puts up the most points on an awful team award. Gourde was a 25 goal scorer and was 3rd in the entire league in plus minus at +34, these 3 other bums were a combined -11.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Aww, want some cheese with that whine? Barzal was +1 on the season.

Good for him, only on the ice ES 33 less times his team scored a goal instead of giving one up compared to Gourde. Guy should win the Selke too.

member 290103

Good for him, only on the ice ES 33 less times his team scored a goal instead of giving one up compared to Gourde. Guy should win the Selke too.

he's clearly the finest rookie we have ever seen. Perhaps they can simply drop the name "Calder" and start calling it the "Gord" er....."Gourde," or whatever the guys name is.

Reactions: LordNeverLose

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
he's clearly the finest rookie we have ever seen. Perhaps they can simply drop the name "Calder" and start calling it the "Gord" er....."Gourde," or whatever the guys name is.

The Yanni Gourde Howe award has a nice ring to it.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
With so much weight on his shoulders, Barzel won this award in October. Glad to see Boeser get a nomination, despite no weight on his shoulders.

No weight on his shoulders? What on earth are you blabbering about?

Im glad Boeser got the nomination. Fully deserved and most impressive aside from Barzal.

Barzal won this in Feb.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
No weight on his shoulders? What on earth are you blabbering about?

Im glad Boeser got the nomination. Fully deserved and most impressive aside from Barzal.

Barzal won this in Feb.

He's been doing it all year.

I mean, they should just give Barzal the Calder now. He carries so much weight on his shoulders, moreso than any other rookie in the NHL. The Isles are counting on this guy to lead them to the cup. He clearly does not sleep well at night considering the intense pressures he is under whereas other rookies are just told to go out and give it the old college try...and if it doesnt work out, no one cares.

I mean, Barzal should even be considered for the Hart, given this. Maybe even throw in a Masterton too.

This is what was put forth by NYI fans in the Calder thread. The weight on Matty B's shoulders is overwhelming, whereas the other rookies can just go out and have fun. Given this, Matty B gets the Calder.

Yeah, but he has no weight on his shoulders.

Barzal has this won. I am still in awe of how he does it with so much weight on his shoulders

No one has more weight on his shoulders than Matt Barzal.

I'll go with Matt Barzal. So much weight on his shoulders.

Barzal with all that weight on his shoulders had this trophy won before the season started.

with the weight of the world on his shoulders, Barzal wins it, hands down.

There's more I can't quote because the threads are locked.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Should be renamed who puts up the most points on an awful team award. Gourde was a 25 goal scorer and was 3rd in the entire league in plus minus at +34, these 3 other bums were a combined -11.

So you want to rename it the rookie “who puts up the best plus minus on a really good team” award ?

Gourde had a heck of a season but every lightning fan takes Barzal Keller Boeser Hischier Connor over him.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Anyone want to guess the order this ends up in after Barzal - Boeser?

Dubois, Hischier, MacAvoy, Connor, Butcher, Heinen, DeBrusk, Gourde, and Keller are likely all separated by very little points. I'd say DeBrusk and Heinen are towards the end just because MacAvoy siphons a lot of Boston votes away from them.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
My oder would be:

4/5 Connor/MacAvoy
6 Gourde
7 Hischier
8 DeBrincat
9 Sergachev
10 Butcher

HM: Heinen, Dubois, DeBrusk

Great crop of rookies this year.

Dubois should be in that top 10. Probably won't because other guys put up more points, but he played #1C almost the entire year for the Blue Jackets. That means more to me than being able to put up points on a stacked team.

3. Keller
4. MacAvoy
5. Hischier
6. Connor
7. Dubois
8. Gourde
9. Butcher
10. DeBrincat

I'd accept the argument for any order of 5-6-7-8, but I think they're in their own tier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad