Calder Finalists: Barzal (NYI), Boeser (VAN), Keller (ARIZ).

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I am ok with these finalists. At the end of the day it won't matter b/c Barzal will win by a landslide. Would have been fine with KC, McAvoy or Keller as the 3rd finalist. Keller did hit 65 pts on a putrid ARZ team. most common linemates were Stepan and Panik and totals team's GF was 204.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Terrific rookie crop.

Barzal will win. Justifiably so with a historic 85 pt season, best rookie year in 11 years.
Boeser will finish second, with an excellent shortened season.

So many players worth mentioning for 3rd along with Keller.

Connor
Hischier
Gourde
Debrincat
Butcher
McAvoy
Debrusk
Sergachev
Heinen
Kerfoot
Dubois

This was a steller crop of rookies. One of the strongest in recent times.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Crazy how a runaway can have 10 different runner ups and none of them are bad runnerups.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Crazy how a runaway can have 10 different runner ups and none of them are bad runnerups.
Not all that different from last year. Matthews won it with an almost unanimous vote but there was a great group behind him, many guys had strong cases. I think this year's is even more impressive given how stupidly good Barzal's year was

Reactions: Riseonfire

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I guess it will help take the sting away a bit when JT leaves. At least they have another star in the ranks.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
There were about even, when both healthy. Barzal is the faster/flashier player and prefers to play with the puck on his stick, so I can see why people think that he's more effective. But, at the end of the day, the results and impact on the game where pretty much a wash. You also have to factor in that Boeser carried his anemic offense while Barzal played with some pretty elite company on a much better team.
Barzal dragged Andrew Ladd around for a good part of the season. Ladd's 12 goals and 17 assists padded his stats.
85 points is not a wash with 55, and Boeser was not going to catch Mat if he played all 82 games.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Barzal dragged Andrew Ladd around for a good part of the season. Ladd's 12 goals and 17 assists padded his stats.
85 points is not a wash with 55, and Boeser was not going to catch Mat if he played all 82 games.

I would love to see Nelson(LW) with Barzal, I have a feeling Barzal could open up the ice enough to allow Nelson to get his wrister off a good amount. Could be interesting to see how much Barzal could increase Nelson's production

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Barzal will win by a mile. Had both guys been healthy all year I think it would have been an insanely close vote.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The people who vote are the ones that matter though and goals>assissts all day.

What's the ratio in terms of value between goals and assists? Is Anders Lee hitting 40 goals and getting 62 points more impressive than Barzal getting 22 goals and 85 points? What if Lee had 80 goals but all of them were him standing next to an empty net and Barzal skated around all five opposing players and dished it to him for tap ins on all 80? Just curious which is more impressive. Thanks!

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Just looking at some numbers, and this was interesting: Barzal, DeBrusk, and Hischier all drew at least +1 minor penalty per 60 minutes more than they took. I was not surprised to see Barzal and Hischier at the top of the minor penalties drawn/60 lists. DeBrusk's numbers surprised me. Just kind of an amazing number for the 12th highest rookie scorer.

Speed kills.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Just looking at some numbers, and this was interesting: Barzal, DeBrusk, and Hischier all drew at least +1 minor penalty per minute more than they took. I was not surprised to see Barzal and Hischier at the top of the minor penalties drawn/60 lists. DeBrusk's numbers surprised me.

Speed kills.

To me the biggest area that Barzal helps that you can't use stats to track would be getting the puck from the neutral to offensive zone

Reactions: sabremike

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
To me the biggest area that Barzal helps that you can't use stats to track would be getting the puck from the neutral to offensive zone

Well, I think you can. I mean, players who create dangerous possession draw hooks, holds, slashes, etc. Do you think it's an accident that Barzal tops that list with Hischier and DeBrusk? I mean, the numbers all track what they do, which you say can't be tracked?

pomx

May 15, 2014
What's the ratio in terms of value between goals and assists? Is Anders Lee hitting 40 goals and getting 62 points more impressive than Barzal getting 22 goals and 85 points? What if Lee had 80 goals but all of them were him standing next to an empty net and Barzal skated around all five opposing players and dished it to him for tap ins on all 80? Just curious which is more impressive. Thanks!
Let’s just say there’s a trophy for most goals not for most assists.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Barzal takes it.

Let’s just say there’s a trophy for most goals not for most assists.

Oh please, if it was the other way around you would change your tune. "Boeser had more points, clear winner!".

Henrik Sedin must have been a pretty worthless player in your eyes. Racking up all those assists, eh?

There is a trophy for points too.

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
As a boeser lover he finally brought a punch to the canucks offence we havent seen in alot of years.but this is barzals year unfortunately for boser being injured it took him out of first.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
If Boeser stayed healthy, it would have been a fun race and both players may have earned more points due to the competition.

Boeser IS an amazing player, that one Vancouver guy needs to chill. Your player is great.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Just a very shrewd move by the Oilers after getting mcdavid to trade the 16 and 32nd picks in that draft year for Griffin freaking reinhart. Could have been one of the best draft years of all time for one team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad