C/W Adam Mascherin (2016, 38th, FLA; unsigned; 2018, 100th, DAL)

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
This is a similar situation to Will Butcher. The Panthers made it clear to the player (by basically ignoring him all of last summer as he rehabbed from a shoulder injury) that he wasn't in their future plans to the extent he thought he should be. Now that he's fully back from the injury and had another great season, he's back in the mix again but is no longer interested in playing for the organization.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Wtf why does he do this?
We have a lot of depth he'd have to overcome to get a top 9 role. He's probably looking for an easier path.

On the wings...
Huberdeau, Dadonov, and Bjugstad.
Malgin and Vatrano.

All 5 are better, obviously, and should be locks moving forward for top 6/9 spots.

Then you have Borgstrom and Tippet who both may make the team next year. Borstrom is basically a guarantee. Hepo is a better prospect than Mascherin but may not be in the mix for another year or two.

That's 8 guys, almost all young, who he'd need to beat out for a roster spot.

And we have guys like Mamin and McGinn who can play wing in the top 9 who aren't going anywhere.

Add in anyone from this draft plus our other prospects (Hunt, Repo, Haapala, Bajkov, Greco, Valk, Harylchuk) and he probably doesn't see much of a future in the short term to get an NHL spot.

Reactions: Peeps

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
He probably goes second round with an outside chance at first. It's not loss for Mascherin (if he gets traded or he renters), especially if he feels the Panthers aren't a good fit/don't have him in their future plans.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
This is a similar situation to Will Butcher. The Panthers made it clear to the player (by basically ignoring him all of last summer as he rehabbed from a shoulder injury) that he wasn't in their future plans to the extent he thought he should be. Now that he's fully back from the injury and had another great season, he's back in the mix again but is no longer interested in playing for the organization.
This is absolute nonsense.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
First they wasted a high 1st in a historically great draft in 2015 selecting Lawson Crouse. Now they will lose their 2016 2nd for nothing.

Ouch.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
He strikes me as a future Bud Holloway. Great shot, poor skating.

Is he smart enough to stand out like Debrincat ?

Reactions: flamebird

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
It's likely because he isn't happy with how the organization handled him.

Zach Hyman refused to sign with the Panthers a couple years ago.

I would imagine if the team scouts and front office had handled their prospects better, he would likely sign.

Who doesn't want to live and play in Florida?

I really don't think it has anything to do with him wanting an easier path to the NHL. The Panthers have good young talent on the wing but they're not stacked like other teams.

Mascherin's biggest trait is his shot. He's a poor skater and I don't think he's smart enough to overcome it in order to be a top line player. I expect him to be a 3rd line secondary scorer for a decent team. I really don't think he's that good but he'll play in the NHL.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Mascherin's biggest trait is his shot. He's a poor skater and I don't think he's smart enough to overcome it in order to be a top line player. I expect him to be a 3rd line secondary scorer for a decent team. I really don't think he's that good but he'll play in the NHL.
He is also an underrated playmaker. But yes, average skater at best.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

I would imagine if the team scouts and front office had handled their prospects better, he would likely sign.

I really don't think it has anything to do with him wanting an easier path to the NHL. The Panthers have good young talent on the wing but they're not stacked like other teams.

I don't know, man. If he was a defenceman this would be an entirely different matter, but right now, our top9 goes like this:

Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad
Huberdeau-Trocheck-Malgin
McGinn-McCann-Vatrano

Dadonov, Barkov, Bjugstad, Huberdeau, Trocheck are not going anywhere. Malgin and McCann are both developing nicely, look like middle 6 players. Sample size is small on Vatrano but so far he looks like he also belongs in that top 9. McGinn is the only one whose spot is clearly up for the grabs, and even he still has a year left unless we trade him/buy him out/push him to line 4.

Then there's our prospects:
-Borgstrom - almost certainly a lock, possibly in the top6 bumping Malgin down
- Tippett - should be ready next season
-Heponiemi - will take some time, but looks amazing
<<this is where Mascherin would have slotted on our forward depth
- Mamin, Haapala, even guys like Hawryluk, Hunt, Ang, Greco, Bajkov, Repo... if only one of them is top9 player, that 's another obstacle for Mascherin. And that's presuming we make zero trades and don't draft a forward with this year's 1st rounder.

This dobberprospects article sums it up quite nicely.

I would have definitely liked to keep Mascherin, but if we can get a second round pick for him and use it to draft a defenceman or a goalie, this might actually be better in the long run for both parties.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I don't know, man. If he was a defenceman this would be an entirely different matter, but right now, our top9 goes like this:

Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad
Huberdeau-Trocheck-Malgin
McGinn-McCann-Vatrano

Dadonov, Barkov, Bjugstad, Huberdeau, Trocheck are not going anywhere. Malgin and McCann are both developing nicely, look like middle 6 players. Sample size is small on Vatrano but so far he looks like he also belongs in that top 9. McGinn is the only one whose spot is clearly up for the grabs, and even he still has a year left unless we trade him/buy him out/push him to line 4.

Then there's our prospects:
-Borgstrom - almost certainly a lock, possibly in the top6 bumping Malgin down
- Tippett - should be ready next season
-Heponiemi - will take some time, but looks amazing
<<this is where Mascherin would have slotted on our forward depth
- Mamin, Haapala, even guys like Hawryluk, Hunt, Ang, Greco, Bajkov, Repo... if only one of them is top9 player, that 's another obstacle for Mascherin. And that's presuming we make zero trades and don't draft a forward with this year's 1st rounder.

This dobberprospects article sums it up quite nicely.

I would have definitely liked to keep Mascherin, but if we can get a second round pick for him and use it to draft a defenceman or a goalie, this might actually be better in the long run for both parties.

If he's looking at that depth chart and doesn't want to compete for a roster spot in 2-3 years, you're better off without him.

I've kept tabs on him for a couple years and it's pretty evident he has some growing up to do.

Mar 12, 2009
I think he would go late in the 1st. He’s a solid prospect who is going pro next year. He might even crack an NHL lineup next year with how good his shot is.
I can't see him making the NHL next year. His game away from the puck is not very good and he can be pretty inconsistent. I guess it depends what players are available, but I don't see him going in the first round, mid to late 2nd is my best guess.
He is also an underrated playmaker. But yes, average skater at best.
Last year he was an excellent playmaker, this year he's regressed a bit in that regard imo. He has much better line-mates this year but is producing less than he did with worse linemates in the 2nd half of last season. He's making a lot of poor decisions offensively; too often going for the extra and unnecessary pass or deke that results in turnovers.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016

I don't think so. You are just listening to the player versions of the story. I don't think there is something fundamentally wrong with how Florida handles its prospects. It didn't stop Trocheck, Matheson, Petrovic, Malgin, Weegar, Mamin etc. who are late 1st round picks at best to turn out to be at least good solid NHLers.

I think the most likely reason (because we are just guessing, right?) for all the rejections is the lack of success of the team. They have made playoffs TWICE in the last 18 seasons. It's also probably the biggest reason why the franchise has had problems to attract fans. There is other factors for players also but that has to be the biggest. As a player you have only one short career, why wouldn't you choose to go somewhere else with hockey tradition and success? Mascherin, Hyman and Corban Knight are the recent ones refusing to sign with Florida, and they will not be the last ones.

That nonsense spewing out of Mascherin's mouth that Florida didn't even keep contact with him last summer sounds like he is trying to embarrass and even more make the organisation look bad once again. You are just eating up his narrative and it is easy for you to believe because of the mess of the previous seasons in the news.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I don't think so. You are just listening to the player versions of the story.
What else can we do when the player is the only one commenting?

Also, lest we forget that this is Dale Tallon we're talking about. He has a bit of a history with mismanaging young players.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
What else can we do when the player is the only one commenting?

Also, lest we forget that this is Dale Tallon we're talking about. He has a bit of a history with mismanaging young players.
Have a filter when reading what he's trying to say? Wait when someone from the organisation tells the story from another side( if at all)?

All we know as a fact is that Florida tried hard to get him signed.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Have a filter when reading what he's trying to say? Wait when someone from the organisation tells the story from another side( if at all)?

All we know as a fact is that Florida tried hard to get him signed.
This being an internet board that caters to people who want to talk about hockey and hockey players, it's situation normal that people will comment on the things a hockey player says, even if there's no opposition view being given by the team. It happens all day, every day here.

The player saying "I didn't hear from them all summer" speaks pretty loudly to me, just as I'm sure it spoke pretty loudly to him. I don't know that I would take such a drastic step as deciding to go back into the draft where I probably slip two full rounds, but again, the fact that he has made that decision speaks pretty loudly.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
This being an internet board that caters to people who want to talk about hockey and hockey players, it's situation normal that people will comment on the things a hockey player says, even if there's no opposition view being given by the team. It happens all day, every day here.

The player saying "I didn't hear from them all summer" speaks pretty loudly to me, just as I'm sure it spoke pretty loudly to him. I don't know that I would take such a drastic step as deciding to go back into the draft where I probably slip two full rounds, but again, the fact that he has made that decision speaks pretty loudly.
He hasn't gone back into the draft yet. Panthers are looking to deal him and get something in return from a team that he wants to sign with before that. Maybe that is what he wants. If it doesn't happen before the draft, he'll take his chances there.

"I didn't hear from them all summer" might just be that he is just lying and trying to make it look like the organisation "mismanaged" him, make them look bad, when actually that wasn't the case and he's trying hard to blame the organisation for him not signing with them. I have hard time believing that the organisation didn't have any contact with a second round pick from 2016 in the summer of 2017, as in the meantime it is a known fact that the organisation tried hard to sign him. When actually he doesn't want to create extra attention to the fact that he never wanted to sign with them in the first place, even before he was drafted in 2016.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
He hasn't gone back into the draft yet. Panthers are looking to deal him and get something in return from a team that he wants to sign with before that. Maybe that is what he wants. If it doesn't happen before the draft, he'll take his chances there.

"I didn't hear from them all summer" might just be that he is just lying and trying to make it look like the organisation "mismanaged" him, make them look bad, when actually that wasn't the case and he's trying hard to blame the organisation for him not signing with them. I have hard time believing that the organisation didn't have any contact with a second round pick from 2016 in the summer of 2017, as in the meantime it is a known fact that the organisation tried hard to sign him. When actually he doesn't want to create extra attention to the fact that he never wanted to sign with them in the first place, even before he was drafted in 2016.
Now who's creating their own narrative?

He said in September of '17 that he didn't hear from them over the summer while he was rehabbing his shoulder. I can't see a player making something like that up that could be easily refuted by the team if untrue, which it was never refuted.

The second bolded section I have a very hard time believing. Florida is a young team on the rise, and there's no state taxes to play there. Both highly appealing for a hockey prospect. If he's willingly going back into the draft, it's because he's soured on the team in some way, or believes he can get a better ELC offer from being redrafted.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Vesey also said the Predators didn't contact him at all for an extended period of time.

That seems to be an excuse to leave.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Now who's creating their own narrative?

He said in September of '17 that he didn't hear from them over the summer while he was rehabbing his shoulder. I can't see a player making something like that up that could be easily refuted by the team if untrue, which it was never refuted.

The second bolded section I have a very hard time believing. Florida is a young team on the rise, and there's no state taxes to play there. Both highly appealing for a hockey prospect. If he's willingly going back into the draft, it's because he's soured on the team in some way, or believes he can get a better ELC offer from being redrafted.
Why would a organisation start a public fight in September with a player they still have interest in signing and think highly of? In cases like these there is two sides to the story and you are just taking everything the other one says as a fact and continually refusing to accept that there might be another story.

No other prospects complain about the way Panthers have treated them. Why would they ignore a second round pick? Even if that turns out to be true (it would be very bizarre) it is his feelings that have got hurt. Panthers wanted to sign him.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Vesey also said the Predators didn't contact him at all for an extended period of time.

That seems to be an excuse to leave.
I do know the Sabres keep weekly or monthly contact with all of their prospects.

If Adam believes other orgs have better player relations he would want to go there.

I would like to get more info but teams won’t dive into these details unfortunately

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad