C/W Adam Mascherin (2016, 38th, FLA; unsigned; 2018, 100th, DAL)

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Isn't showing up on the more high profile draft rankings (ISS, TSN, Button, etc) but has had a really good start to the season.

He's currently 4th in the OHL in scoring (17 pts in 11 games - 7 g, 10 a). Kitchener is a strong team this year - but he's also the leading scorer on it.

At 5'9 (and that might be generous), his height isn't great - but he's got a pretty stocky build...reminds me of Domi physically - Max might be a bit taller.

His skating has improved since last year (at least going by my own 'eye test') - but still definitely not his strong suit..which isn't a great weakness to have for a player his height. But he's still young.

He was listed at 5'9 last year and he seems at least substantively taller than at the same time last year. Could be legitimately 5'9 or 5'10 this year. He's very stocky though, but fitness doesn't seem to be an issue. Sort of getting a playmaker version of Skinner vibe from him.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Feature from a few weeks ago on Mascherin:

“That was obviously a lot of fun to score goals every game,†Mascherin said of his torrid midget season, which led the Kings to a berth at the 2014 OHL Cup Showcase Tournament in Toronto. “When you are that young you know who the other team’s focusing on and it was like a competition for me to out-work them. I know that they are going to try and stop me, but I’m not going to let them.

“It was that competitive mindset that I went into every game with, that I have to work hard and even though I am one of the better players around, I have to show what I can do every night.â€

http://futureconsiderations.ca/mascherin-quickly-finding-groove/

Dec 2, 2010
On his size, this is a bulky kid with a bigger frame than his height measures. With time in the gym, size won't be an issue moving forward.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Sort of getting a playmaker version of Skinner vibe from him.

To be honest, not really. He's a shooter to be sure. His shot is easily his best weapon.

That's not to say he's not a playmaker. He has made some great feeds, but a lot of his assists will come off rebounds from his shots.

He's less a puck carrier than Skinner, but he's realizing he has to improve his speed and keep his feet moving in this league. Size is definitely not an issue. He's built like a tank.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
To be honest, not really. He's a shooter to be sure. His shot is easily his best weapon.

That's not to say he's not a playmaker. He has made some great feeds, but a lot of his assists will come off rebounds from his shots.

He's less a puck carrier than Skinner, but he's realizing he has to improve his speed and keep his feet moving in this league. Size is definitely not an issue. He's built like a tank.

Great synopsis, only thing holding him back is his skating but should come around.

Mar 12, 2009
He's been extremely consistent from a production standpoint for Kitchener. There haven't been too many games I've seen of his where I've come away disappointed by his play.

Mar 12, 2009
Mascherin currently has a 12 game point streak going, which I find fairly impressive considering he had an 11 or so game point streak earlier this season before going down with a wrist injury.

champs*

maybe a late 1st rounder and a good 2nd and a steal in the 3rd, putting up good numbers :nod:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Where is he likely to go? I've seen a bit of him due to watching Bracco and he barely seems to get talked about. I get that he is small height wise, but he's built with a solid all around game. Of the major lists he is only top 30 on one ( http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016-draft/nhl-draft-rankings/ ). Looking at the underlying numbers he is 3rd in Primary pts per game behind Tkachuk and Debrincat, while having the highest of 1998 born players at 1.052 per game, and while Macinnis and Bracco are good, they are no Marner or Strome. On top of that he is very effective at generating shots, his high goal total is not due to an unsustainable shooting %. He is also one of the younger guys in the class not turning 18 til June.

Asking OHL/Rangers fans who have watched more have seen him more than me but are there any massive flaws I'm missing preventing him from being a 1st round guy? At the moment, I'd love to get him with the Caps 2nd, but more likely view him as a guy we take with our 2nd (at the moment 31st).

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
Where is he likely to go? I've seen a bit of him due to watching Bracco and he barely seems to get talked about. I get that he is small height wise, but he's built with a solid all around game. Of the major lists he is only top 30 on one ( http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016-draft/nhl-draft-rankings/ ). Looking at the underlying numbers he is 3rd in Primary pts per game behind Tkachuk and Debrincat, while having the highest of 1998 born players at 1.052 per game, and while Macinnis and Bracco are good, they are no Marner or Strome. On top of that he is very effective at generating shots, his high goal total is not due to an unsustainable shooting %. He is also one of the younger guys in the class not turning 18 til June.

Asking OHL/Rangers fans who have watched more have seen him more than me but are there any massive flaws I'm missing preventing him from being a 1st round guy? At the moment, I'd love to get him with the Caps 2nd, but more likely view him as a guy we takes with our 2nd (at the moment 31st).

I've seen him quite a bit this year, a little bit less in the second half but probably 15 games or so this year and near the same last year. His acceleration isn't top notch, so he could use a bit of work there. The one knock I've read that concern some scouts is that some believe he's already physically mature and won't develop (height and I guess weight/strength wise) much further. His height is a non issue at this level, guys bounce off of him sometimes when they try and hit him, really solidly built. He's not invisible defensively, but he doesn't strike me as great in that area. I think he's a good pick anywhere in the 2nd, great pick in the 3rd or later. I wouldn't be shocked if he went very late in the first, but I think 2nd-ish is more likely. Has a pro shot already and is solid and finding space to get it off, he's a better playmaker than I initially thought he'd be last year as well. Just real quality offensive skills all around. Has pretty good poise with the puck; you don't see him panic too much when pressured.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I've seen him quite a bit this year, a little bit less in the second half but probably 15 games or so this year and near the same last year. His acceleration isn't top notch, so he could use a bit of work there. The one knock I've read that concern some scouts is that some believe he's already physically mature and won't develop (height and I guess weight/strength wise) much further. His height is a non issue at this level, guys bounce off of him sometimes when they try and hit him, really solidly built. He's not invisible defensively, but he doesn't strike me as great in that area. I think he's a good pick anywhere in the 2nd, great pick in the 3rd or later. I wouldn't be shocked if he went very late in the first, but I think 2nd-ish is more likely. Has a pro shot already and is solid and finding space to get it off, he's a better playmaker than I initially thought he'd be last year as well. Just real quality offensive skills all around. Has pretty good poise with the puck; you don't see him panic too much when pressured.
Yeah, he doesn't seem as flashy, but the numbers show a highly effective player. Just a bit surprised that similar undersized guys but flashier guys like Abramov and Bitten seem to get more attention. With the Leafs heavy emphasis on the OHL and analytic's I see him as a realistic target. I wonder how much there is that separates him from someone such as Debrincat, who possess similar traits but plays with an elite playmaker and is a late born 97.

DMoran0788

Jan 6, 2016

Asking OHL/Rangers fans who have watched more have seen him more than me but are there any massive flaws I'm missing preventing him from being a 1st round guy? At the moment, I'd love to get him with the Caps 2nd, but more likely view him as a guy we take with our 2nd (at the moment 31st).

Ranger Fan here. Mascerin rarely plays with Macinnis and Bracco. For the most part just on the PP. He doesn't really have regular line mates MVR has him playing with everyone but that's the way he plays the team. MacInnis and Bracco are the only two that have stuck together since the beginning of the year. We don't have any set lines after them. I would like to see him get time with Bracco they had a great game together last Fri against Erie as Macinnis was out. But I also don't mind him playing with others he seems to create space for others and himself so it balances out our team. He's a fantastic passer and his shot is accurate. If he played with a Strome or Marnier I can't even imagine what he could do. I don't know what the knock on him is - size? Skinner was also small projected to go early second and went top 10. Not sure any of that matters - mascerin has an NHL shot now I can't see him not being picked up by a team. Would you rather take a player that is projected to one day have an NHL ready shot or one that has one already?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
1st in best shot, 3rd in hardest shot and 3rd in most improved player for the Western Conference in the OHL coaches poll.

Maybe a Toffoli-esque second rounder?

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
1st in best shot, 3rd in hardest shot and 3rd in most improved player for the Western Conference in the OHL coaches poll.

Maybe a Toffoli-esque second rounder?

Good comparison. Mascherin has a different build (smaller, heavier) and plays differently (two-way vs. offensively minded) but their shot is a great comparable. Overall a solid comparison. Mascherin reminds me of a mix of Toffoli/Schwartz

Mad Brills*

Love it if the leafs take him with the caps pick in round 2.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Mascherin has terrific numbers for a 17-year-old with 81 points and a +19. His shot is lethal and already NHL calibre.

The knocks aside from size and just being a decent skater, are that he fails to engage fully all the time. He has some lazy turnovers, particularly on the PP and looks a bit disinterested at times. One major concern amongst scouts is that - aside from a 2-goal game versus Erie in early March - he has been a bit of a no-show in the heavily scouted/high pressure games.

His draft position will hinge largely on what he does in the playoffs. I don't doubt his offensive talent, but I have reason to question his killer instinct. He needs a mean streak and could stand to up his compete level.

DMoran0788

Jan 6, 2016
Mascherin has terrific numbers for a 17-year-old with 81 points and a +19. His shot is lethal and already NHL calibre.

The knocks aside from size and just being a decent skater, are that he fails to engage fully all the time. He has some lazy turnovers, particularly on the PP and looks a bit disinterested at times. One major concern amongst scouts is that - aside from a 2-goal game versus Erie in early March - he has been a bit of a no-show in the heavily scouted/high pressure games.

His draft position will hinge largely on what he does in the playoffs. I don't doubt his offensive talent, but I have reason to question his killer instinct. He needs a mean streak and could stand to up his compete level.

Mascherin is an offensive player who has been playing with defensive shut-down forwards since the middle of Feb I believe. Has this helped his 200 foot game? Absolutely 100 % - this part of his game has done a complete 360 under MVR and his staff - proof that even offensive players can be and should be responsible in their own end. (I am pretty sure scouts know what his role has been this past month by just looking at who he is playing with and against). Has this role hindered his offensive production this past month - I say yes. You see it as he looks disinterested and no killer instinct – I see it as he has been given a roll to shut down other team’s top line and he seems to be adapting well. You are correct about the 2 goals on Erie, I believe his role that game was offense as he played with Bracco (MacInnis out) I see Mascherin as an offensive player first and foremost (possibly because of his NHL caliber shot). But really good players need to do everything and that’s why I think MVR is doing everything he can to help him and the team. After last year’s draft I am just hoping that at least three of our players get drafted this year. It will only help to attract more and better players going forward.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Mascherin is an offensive player who has been playing with defensive shut-down forwards since the middle of Feb I believe. Has this helped his 200 foot game? Absolutely 100 % - this part of his game has done a complete 360 under MVR and his staff - proof that even offensive players can be and should be responsible in their own end. (I am pretty sure scouts know what his role has been this past month by just looking at who he is playing with and against). Has this role hindered his offensive production this past month - I say yes. You see it as he looks disinterested and no killer instinct – I see it as he has been given a roll to shut down other team’s top line and he seems to be adapting well. You are correct about the 2 goals on Erie, I believe his role that game was offense as he played with Bracco (MacInnis out) I see Mascherin as an offensive player first and foremost (possibly because of his NHL caliber shot). But really good players need to do everything and that’s why I think MVR is doing everything he can to help him and the team. After last year’s draft I am just hoping that at least three of our players get drafted this year. It will only help to attract more and better players going forward.

I'll respectfully disagree with that assessment. He has spent plenty of time with the big guns, but most of his time recently with Franzen and Bunnaman on the second line. And his "disinterest" has been noted still on the back-check. He has had a load of turnovers that have put his D in a precarious position. He definitely still needs work on the defensive game. In no way, shape or form is he a shut-down guy.

Has he grown in that area? A bit for sure, but amongst the current Ranger forwards he's one of the last I'd put out to protect a lead. And his usage in those situations and on PK would show MVR agrees.

Don't get me wrong, he's a very skilled player and the staff is taking steps to work on his all-around game, but I stand by my criticisms.

DMoran0788

Jan 6, 2016
I'll respectfully disagree with that assessment. He has spent plenty of time with the big guns, but most of his time recently with Franzen and Bunnaman on the second line. And his "disinterest" has been noted still on the back-check. He has had a load of turnovers that have put his D in a precarious position. He definitely still needs work on the defensive game. In no way, shape or form is he a shut-down guy.

Has he grown in that area? A bit for sure, but amongst the current Ranger forwards he's one of the last I'd put out to protect a lead. And his usage in those situations and on PK would show MVR agrees.

Don't get me wrong, he's a very skilled player and the staff is taking steps to work on his all-around game, but I stand by my criticisms.

Well you certainly have a right to your opinion. If 20 people watch the same game I am sure 20 people will see different things. This is the first year that I have seen Ryan killing penalties. Bracco doesn't kill them either. And yet that first and second line plays most of the last 5 minutes - lead or no lead. If Mashcerin is not playing a shut down roll playing with two shut down forwards what exactly is his role? A goal scorer - who is his playmaker? a playmaker - who is his goal scorer? Maybe I am not as educated as you in this sport and certainly no where do I proclaim to know how the coaches are coaching these players but when you have a goal scorer and a pretty good playmaker on a line with two shut down forwards that dump and chase the puck to me that is telling me you want him to learn that roll - which is a shut down roll. AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT - in fact I think these players are very lucky that they have this coaching staff this year to recognize areas in their games that need fixing.

Mar 12, 2009
Ya, can't agree about him being used as a shutdown guy. Wasn't the case in the games I've seen the last couple months. I find him ok defensively, but nothing special in that regard and he tends to get to the halfboards on his wing in the defensive end and wait for the puck to come to him or wait until the offense starts up the ice; doesn't consistently engage defensively. His bread and butter continues to be offense. I think his speed and skating are solid for the most part, except he could use work on his acceleration. Since Bracco came along he hasn't been playing with great offensive players (except on the PP), been Bunnaman and Franzen for a while, not bad offensive players but not great either, meaning Mascherin often has to lead the offense there. In my opinion, his point totals would look better had he been on the top line with Bracco and MacInnis, but the teams scoring balance would have been affected too much by that I think.
I could see a great playoff performance maybe raising his stock, but if he has just an ok playoff I don't really see it dropping him past the late second or 3rd round. I personally think he'll go mid second, especially if suggestions by certain scouting organizations that the draft is weak beyond the first round turn out to be accurate.

DMoran0788

Jan 6, 2016
Ya, can't agree about him being used as a shutdown guy. Wasn't the case in the games I've seen the last couple months. I find him ok defensively, but nothing special in that regard and he tends to get to the halfboards on his wing in the defensive end and wait for the puck to come to him or wait until the offense starts up the ice; doesn't consistently engage defensively. His bread and butter continues to be offense. I think his speed and skating are solid for the most part, except he could use work on his acceleration. Since Bracco came along he hasn't been playing with great offensive players (except on the PP), been Bunnaman and Franzen for a while, not bad offensive players but not great either, meaning Mascherin often has to lead the offense there. In my opinion, his point totals would look better had he been on the top line with Bracco and MacInnis, but the teams scoring balance would have been affected too much by that I think.
I could see a great playoff performance maybe raising his stock, but if he has just an ok playoff I don't really see it dropping him past the late second or 3rd round. I personally think he'll go mid second, especially if suggestions by certain scouting organizations that the draft is weak beyond the first round turn out to be accurate.

I never said he was a shut down guy - I said they are trying to teach him to be more responsible in his own end by putting him with two shut down guys. I personally don't see the turnovers that Tim sees at least no more than any other player. The whole team's defensive play has been exposed lately right from the goal-tending out.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Oh what a great assist from Mascherin in 1st play-off game against Windsor!!! I`ve been watching him from start this season, and thought - he can be nice select for second round. Now i think - yeah, its true

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad