C/W Adam Mascherin (2016, 38th, FLA; unsigned; 2018, 100th, DAL)

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I feel like palmieri would be a good comparison for the kid. I'd consider taking him with the leafs 2nd first this year.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
How does this kid compare to Christian Thomas? They sound awfully similar.

I think he's more similar to Reid Boucher or Frank Vatrano, short stockier build, not a great skater but have elite shots and the ability to find open ice in the slot.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
5'10 205? this guy must be pretty bulky

Broad shoulders, thick neck, real stocky with a low center of gravity. Kind of has a similar build to Tie Domi if you ever watched him.

That's not to say he's a fighter of course. But he's a bit of a bull dog

That build has some strength to it too. You look at his shot, and not only is the release lightning quick, but there's big league power to it as well.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Broad shoulders, thick neck, real stocky with a low center of gravity. Kind of has a similar build to Tie Domi if you ever watched him.

That's not to say he's a fighter of course. But he's a bit of a bull dog

That build has some strength to it too. You look at his shot, and not only is the release lightning quick, but there's big league power to it as well.

So Jeff Skinner?

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
Nah, much thicker, more physical, nowhere near the edgework.

Agree. But not more physical, and not as fast. He is very soft for a guy that's over 200 pounds. I actually can't recall a single time I've seen him throw a hit. And he's never fought.

Hell of a shot he has though

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Agree. But not more physical, and not as fast. He is very soft for a guy that's over 200 pounds. I actually can't recall a single time I've seen him throw a hit. And he's never fought.

Hell of a shot he has though

Not super physical in the dishing it out sense, but definitely gets his hands dirty in tight to the net.

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
Not ideal to use another prospect for comparison but he kind of reminds me of Frank Vatrano a bit from the description. Vatrano sounds like he has the edge in skating, Mascherin in playmaking but similar builds with elite shots/releases.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
To have a shot as lethal as his, but still be projected in the early to mid second round is surprising to me. Most things I've seen and heard about him has been great. What makes him fall so far down?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
To have a shot as lethal as his, but still be projected in the early to mid second round is surprising to me. Most things I've seen and heard about him has been great. What makes him fall so far down?

I think it's a combination of size and average skating

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Small, not great skating, can occasionally stop playing with the edge and grit needed. I like him, and would be fine with him at 31, but there are reasons to be hesitant, and take Katchouk or Benson over him.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Small, not great skating, can occasionally stop playing with the edge and grit needed. I like him, and would be fine with him at 31, but there are reasons to be hesitant, and take Katchouk or Benson over him.

His skating is not terrible. IMO the biggest knock on him would be he needs to work on his defensive game in the neutral zone and defensive end. He has a good forecheck and his defensive game has gotten better from his rookie year. I think it will get better with the revamped coaching staff in Kitchener.

Last edited:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Reminds me of Cammalerie a lot. I think he could be a steal in the 2nd round. It's not just the shot, he has great all-around offensive tools.

He's a bit short, but he's also built like a tank. I can see him as a future 30 goals scorer in the NHL.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Well, even if he may be short he is extremely well built and strong. Being small has it's advantages like a lower center of gravity which in combination with his strength makes him having an easier time containing the puck.

I think he lacks some explosiveness, since his acceleration is below average. Otherwise I think his speed and agility is above average.

I'd certainly call Mascherin a lower risk than picking Benson. Shots like his take alot of work to achieve.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well, even if he may be short he is extremely well built and strong. Being small has it's advantages like a lower center of gravity which in combination with his strength makes him having an easier time containing the puck.

I think he lacks some explosiveness, since his acceleration is below average. Otherwise I think his speed and agility is above average.

I'd certainly call Mascherin a lower risk than picking Benson. Shots like his take alot of work to achieve.
I like Benson's all around game more, especially as a presence on a line with Matthews and Marner. Mascherin has a higher goal scoring ceiling, I don't think anyone would deny that, but Benson's grit, defensive awareness and willingness to crash the net I prefer.

coachwithoutahead

Nov 21, 2008
He seems like a smart and determined kid with an outstanding shot and offensive instincts. No one should be surprised if he ends up sneaking into the 1st round.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I think his wrist shot is Laine tier. The velocity is about the same but he gets if off really quickly. It's amazing. Would like to see the Flyers pick him up with the 48th pick but he may be gone then. But for a small guy he should be faster, but on the other hand he's still big in weight and good at protecting the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad