C/W Adam Mascherin (2016, 38th, FLA; unsigned; 2018, 100th, DAL)

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
No other prospects complain about the way Panthers have treated them. Why would they ignore a second round pick? Even if that turns out to be true (it would be very bizarre) it is his feelings that have got hurt. Panthers wanted to sign him.

Zach Hyman just refused to sign with them in 2015 and was ultimately traded.

Reactions: L13 and Szechwan

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I do know the Sabres keep weekly or monthly contact with all of their prospects.

If Adam believes other orgs have better player relations he would want to go there.

I would like to get more info but teams won’t dive into these details unfortunately

I actually think there is something to the player relations part.

Florida's depth isn't crazy enough for him to be swayed to another organization.

He might actually have been bothered by the organization not keeping tabs on him, while he was going through a challenging injury. It may have led him to feel unwanted or raised concerns that they didn't covet him.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut

Florida's depth isn't crazy enough for him to be swayed to another organization.

He might actually have been bothered by the organization not keeping tabs on him, while he was going through a challenging injury. It may have led him to feel unwanted or raised concerns that they didn't covet him.

not to make excuses but the florida management team was switching back to Dale Tallon from Tom Rowe during this time. I kinda feel like this is related.

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
not to make excuses but the florida management team was switching back to Dale Tallon from Tom Rowe during this time. I kinda feel like this is related.
Didnt they also make other management changes associated with Tallon as well? Like I know they have Pronger as an adviser to Tallon now. Even if it was even partially true, kid should've just been patient with changes like that going on along with hiring a new head coach too.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Zach Hyman just refused to sign with them in 2015 and was ultimately traded.
Those are two different things. It is not a same thing to be unhappy about being drafted by certain team than being happy being drafted by certain team and then be unhappy about mistreatment. I don't know how you can't understand that distinction.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016

They used a early second round pick on him, how that doesn't mean they didn't covet him in the first place? It is simply not true that the team didn't keep tabs on him.

Panthers prospect Adam Mascherin rebounds from surgery to start hot in OHL
Mascherin said he talks with the Panthers about once a week and had dinner with McCabe on Monday night.
“Or if I have questions, I reach out myself, right?” Mascherin said. “We’ve had a good relationship so far this year.”
Mascherin can play in the AHL when Kitchener’s season ends, but he hasn’t signed an entry-level contract with the Panthers yet. If he’s not signed by next June, he could reenter the draft. Mascherin did not seem concerned about that.
“They want to make sure that they’re making an investment in the right person and the right player,” Mascherin said. “However much time they think they need, things will work out for the best, regardless of what happens. I’m not really too worried about that.
“Whether you sign a piece of paper today or tomorrow or next month, it’s not going to make me a better player. Just focus on finishing my year out strong.”

Something isn't adding up, right?

Thoughts: Forward prospects, Montembeault, AHL defensemen
McCabe also took some time to talk about Adam Mascherin, who the Panthers drafted in the second round of the 2016 Draft.
The 20-year old had a slow start to the season after undergoing shoulder surgery during the summer. But now, he’s on a 9-game goal streak, during which he has 12 goals, and an 11-game point streak.
He’s fifth in shots in the OHL with 144 in 34 games and is fourth in goals with 23.
“We say that Tippett has a [good] shot, but this Mascherin kid, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen anyone shoot the puck like he does at the junior level from a stand-still; it is hard and accurate,” said McCabe.
“He’s not the tallest guy but he is bottom-heavy and strong on pucks, and he sees the ice extremely well, I think makes the players around him much better. Anyone who gets to play with him I think’s gonna put points up on the board.”
One of the main holes in Mascherin’s game since he was drafted has been his play away from the puck, and it’s something he has worked on with the Kitchener Rangers’ coaching staff to improve.
“The one that sticks out to me is the way he is competing away from the puck this year,” said McCabe. “He’s totally committed to a 200-foot game. I’ve been in contact with [Kitchener head coach] Jay McKee on a regular basis and we’re really proud of the effort he’s put in to grow his game and not just be that guy that’s gonna get you 120 points.”

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Those are two different things. It is not a same thing to be unhappy about being drafted by certain team than being happy being drafted by certain team and then be unhappy about mistreatment. I don't know how you can't understand that distinction.

I highly doubt Hyman was upset with being drafted by Florida, at the time of the draft.

I think he became unhappy as time went on.

Reactions: L13

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
They used a early second round pick on him, how that doesn't mean they didn't covet him in the first place? It is simply not true that the team didn't keep tabs on him.

Panthers prospect Adam Mascherin rebounds from surgery to start hot in OHL

Something isn't adding up, right?

Thoughts: Forward prospects, Montembeault, AHL defensemen

Drafting him high may have been seen as self-serving for the organization.

Employees have become jaded as time passes. Just because they were hired by an employer doesn't make it any easier to cope with the poor morale.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
I highly doubt Hyman was upset with being drafted by Florida, at the time of the draft.

I think he became unhappy as time went on.
Your guess for the reasons is as good as anyones who doesn't know. So you have no actual sources.

Fact is Florida Panthers thought so highly of Hyman that they offered him a contract but he didn't want to sign it.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Drafting him high may have been seen as self-serving for the organization.

Employees have become jaded as time passes. Just because they were hired by an employer doesn't make it any easier to cope with the poor morale.
Yes, but the actual quote I answered argued the Panthers didn't ever think highly of him which is obviously false.

Poor morale? It didn't stop Trocheck, Matheson, Malgin, etc. I think there is other reasons why he doesn't want to sign. He has already been caught lying once when he told that Florida didn't keep tabs on him in the summer.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Your guess for the reasons is as good as anyones who doesn't know. So you have no actual sources.

Fact is Florida Panthers thought so highly of Hyman that they offered him a contract but he didn't want to sign it.

When did they offer the contract to Hyman?

Was the contract offer too late? From what we've heard in Toronto is that at some point in his final year at Michigan, he decided he was going to sign with Toronto as a college UFA, once his rights expired.

I think if the front office has a good read on each individual prospect, they would take steps to make sure it wouldn't get to the point where the prospect fan seriously contemplate UFA.

Most teams don't lose drafted prospects. This is the 2nd one in 3 years for Florida. Neither of them might be impact players but it shouldn't happen.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Rumors going around the OHL that not signing in Florida was actually Florida's decision, not Adam's, and that the angle they are taking is to accomplish two things. One, try to flip him for something of value and two, not look like they used a top 40 pick on a kid they didn't want to sign.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Rumors going around the OHL that not signing in Florida was actually Florida's decision, not Adam's, and that the angle they are taking is to accomplish two things. One, try to flip him for something of value and two, not look like they used a top 40 pick on a kid they didn't want to sign.

Not really informed when it comes to the Panthers' contract situation, but are they that close to the limit that they wouldn't even want to give him an ELC and maybe move him afterwards?

And why wouldn't they want to sign him anyway? Seems like he has been doing pretty well since he got drafted.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not really informed when it comes to the Panthers' contract situation, but are they that close to the limit that they wouldn't even want to give him an ELC and maybe move him afterwards?

And why wouldn't they want to sign him anyway? Seems like he has been doing pretty well since he got drafted.
He hasn't really improved much since the draft. People aren't very high on his attitude or work ethic. I doubt he goes as high as he did in a re-draft. Florida took him at the time because there draft co-hort guys from Canucks army loved him.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
His value didn't go down by much imo, worth high 3rd probably, his production didn't continue going up this season but he didn't had much support, his wrister is as deadly as it gets.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He is value didn't go down by much imo, worth high 3rd probably, his production didn't continue going up this season but he didn't had much support, his wrister is as deadly as it gets.
His numbers age and league adjusted (which is a big reason the Panthers took him) at 17, to his current age-adjusted numbers is a massive gap.

He had an adjusted regular season ppg of 1.33 in his draft year. This year he has an adjusted one of .91.

Reactions: L13

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
His numbers age and league adjusted (which is a big reason the Panthers took him) at 17, to his current age-adjusted numbers is a massive gap.

He had an adjusted regular season ppg of 1.33 in his draft year. This year he has an adjusted one of .91.

According to your logic he needed to score 120 points this year, it is simply not going to happen with Gereffa as your 2nd point producer. He had MacInnis+Bracco on his line on his draft eligible year. Everyone knew his production during his draft eligible year was a bit over the top anyway; which is why he went in the 2nd round.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
According to your logic he needed to score 120 points this year, it is simply not going to happen with Gereffa as your 2nd point producer. He had MacInnis+Bracco on his line on his draft eligible year. Everyone knew his production during his draft eligible year was a bit over the top anyway; which is why he went in the 2nd round.
He's played a third of the season with Logan Brown. Bracco wasn't on his line most of the draft season anyway. I'm not saying keep pace, but that is a dramatic drop off relative to age for a player. Especially if your justification for taking him, was his numbers.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Last year was good also, so he already proved he can be dominant at the OHL level.

Bracco was on his line sometimes, and most of the time on the PP.

17 games max with Brown as you like...

I am pretty much sure you think he is worth around a 3rd rounder anyway, so I don't really see what we are arguing about.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Last year was good also, so he already proved he can be dominant at the OHL level.

I am pretty much sure you think he is worth around a 3rd rounder anyway, so I don't really see what we are arguing about.

17 games max with Brown as you like...
I could see him slipping to the forth if teams don't like reports on him. He's a pretty empty player if he isn't scoring, and I wouldn't call his production this year in the OHL elite for a 5'9 goalscorer who doesn't do much else. He won't make a decent amount of teams top 100, which means they pretty much have him as a no draft.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

This is completely wrong lol. Especially the later comment about him not progressing since the draft. That gave me a good laugh. Thanks for that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is completely wrong lol. Especially the later comment about him not progressing since the draft. That gave me a good laugh. Thanks for that.
How has he progressed? He's gone from a 35 goal scorer at 17 to a 40 goal scorer at 19. The is hardly progressing for a kid who is now among the oldest in the OHL.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
How has he progressed? He's gone from a 35 goal scorer at 17 to a 40 goal scorer at 19. The is hardly progressing for a kid who is now among the oldest in the OHL.

So you've decided he hasn't progressed, not because any expert has said it, not because you've watched him, but you decided that from looking at his stats he hasn't progressed. As a 17 year old, he was tied for the leading scoring and had a strong supporting cast of Bracco and MacInnis. As an 18 year old, he led his team in scoring by 40(!) points. This year, he led his team in scoring by 21 points, despite playing a perhaps 50% capacity for his first few months.

Development as a player doesn't follow with a correlated statistical increase. Mascherin has developed significantly as a player in the last two years. And furthermore, all serious reporting on Mascherin's decision not to sign has suggested it's Mascherin's decision. If it was the Panther's decision, Mascherin's agent would have come out and rejected that his client did not want to sign, not to mention other GMs should see right through Talon attempting to trade the rights to a player he didn't want.

Reactions: ProspectsFanatic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad