C/W Adam Mascherin (2016, 38th, FLA; unsigned; 2018, 100th, DAL)

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Rumors going around the OHL that not signing in Florida was actually Florida's decision, not Adam's, and that the angle they are taking is to accomplish two things. One, try to flip him for something of value and two, not look like they used a top 40 pick on a kid they didn't want to sign.
That doesn't make much sense and isn't consistent with how things have been going. If you want to keep value, you sign him like Tampa did with Brett Howden and Libor Hajek. It doesn't make any sense to flip him with your hands tied just before the draft. Him not signing only diminishes his value.

The second point doesn't make much sense either. This season the Panthers have signed much less touted prospects from the 2016 class like Jonathan Ang, Riley Stillman and Patrick Bajkov, who went through the draft undrafted twice. Very hard to believe they didn't want Mascherin signed. The rumblings from the Panthers are that they tried hard to get him signed. Again, that could be true, but it's very hard to believe even with the turnover in Florida's front office that they don't think he's worth signing ELC.

One fact that was found out is that Mascherin is being represented by the same agency as Zach Hyman: Uptown Hockey. I think the Leafs are favorites to snatch Mascherin at this point.

Reactions: ProspectsFanatic

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That doesn't make much sense and isn't consistent with how things have been going. If you want to keep value, you sign him like Tampa did with Brett Howden and Libor Hajek. It doesn't make any sense to flip him with your hands tied just before the draft. Him not signing only diminishes his value.

The second point doesn't make much sense either. This season the Panthers have signed much less touted prospects from the 2016 class like Jonathan Ang, Riley Stillman and Patrick Bajkov, who went through the draft undrafted twice. Very hard to believe they didn't want Mascherin signed. The rumblings from the Panthers are that they tried hard to get him signed. Again, that could be true, but it's very hard to believe even with the turnover in Florida's front office that they don't think he's worth signing ELC.

One fact that was found out is that Mascherin is being represented by the same agency as Zach Hyman: Uptown Hockey. I think the Leafs are favorites to snatch Mascherin at this point.
I doubt the Leafs have much interest. You don't play that game to re-enter the draft to try to get to a destination. Way different situation than one where a kid is a lock to be a UFA and one who has to re-enter the draft. Hyman's dad wanted him back in Toronto, and is richer than most NHLers.

You really think Leafs are going to risk tampering for a kid they can't guarantee as he has to re-enter the draft and one who is far from a lock to be an NHLer?

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
I doubt the Leafs have much interest. You don't play that game to re-enter the draft to try to get to a destination. Way different situation than one where a kid is a lock to be a UFA and one who has to re-enter the draft. Hyman's dad wanted him back in Toronto, and is richer than most NHLers.

You really think Leafs are going to risk tampering for a kid they can't guarantee as he has to re-enter the draft and one who is far from a lock to be an NHLer?
He knows that Florida has to deal him to a destination where he wants to sign if they want something in return for him. There's a good chance that happens. If that doesn't happen, he'll take his chances re-entering the draft.

I don't think Leafs is tampering anything. I think he doesn't want to sign with Florida. I'm sure Toronto is one of the destinations he would like to sign, he's a kid from Toronto. If there's enough interest, they will get him.

Mar 12, 2009
He's played a third of the season with Logan Brown. Bracco wasn't on his line most of the draft season anyway. I'm not saying keep pace, but that is a dramatic drop off relative to age for a player. Especially if your justification for taking him, was his numbers.
I agree for the most part, but the bolded is not accurate. He played a few games with him, then was moved to 2nd line with Gareffa and Bunnaman. Brown-Sherwood-Smith has been the line for at least half of Brown's time here (he's been out of the lineup for several games as well). Masherin's play without Bracco last year was better than it's been most of this year. His playmaking was on another level than it has been this year.
Adam's game from what I've seen (70% of his games this year on tv) hasn't improved significantly. Occasionally he's more engaged defensively, but his decision making offensively has gotten worse. Far too many times he has a great shooting opportunity but he opts for an extra pass or deke for a highlight reel play that results in a turnover.
One thing to keep in mind is that several Kitchener players have stagnated or declined in production from last season to this season (despite more overall team success. Coaches player development skills have been questioned by fans).

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
So if Florida doesn't trade his rights, he'll be up for grabs in this year's draft. I'd assume he'll go early in the second?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So if Florida doesn't trade his rights, he'll be up for grabs in this year's draft. I'd assume he'll go early in the second?

Bob McKenzie mentioned Mascherin in his latest podcast. I believe he said he heard Florida offered his rights around for a 3rd round pick but nobody bit. If a team was willing to take him in the early 2nd this time around, they would probably be willing to offer up a 3rd.

Naturally there is some danger for the acquiring team but Mascherin's camp wouldn't have a ton of leverage in contract negotiations. Bob brought up what happened to Tim Brent (drafted 37th in 2002, rebuffed Anaheim's offer, went back into the draft and was taken 75th by Anaheim again); Not so much the danger that you would get taken by the same team, but that you'd get taken later than you were originally.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Bob McKenzie mentioned Mascherin in his latest podcast. I believe he said he heard Florida offered his rights around for a 3rd round pick but nobody bit. If a team was willing to take him in the early 2nd this time around, they would be willing to offer up a 3rd.

Naturally there is some danger for the acquiring team but Mascherin's camp wouldn't have a ton of leverage in contract negotiations. Bob brought up what happened to Tim Brent (drafted 37th in 2002, rebuffed Anaheim's offer, went back into the draft and was taken 75th by Anaheim again); Not so much the danger that you would get taken by the same team, but that you'd get taken later than you were originally.

Re-entries almost always go later if they go at all.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Florida should be able to trade his rights for a 7th round pick vs lose him for nothing. Has to happen before June 1.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Bob McKenzie mentioned Mascherin in his latest podcast. I believe he said he heard Florida offered his rights around for a 3rd round pick but nobody bit. If a team was willing to take him in the early 2nd this time around, they would probably be willing to offer up a 3rd.

How did nobody trade a 3rd for him? That seems bizarre. Especially for teams with multiple thirds like Arizona. Rangers in particular should've traded a third since Mascherin could be a good rebuild piece.

Reactions: 99664987

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016

He's pulling a Lindros here. But this time Mascherin didn't say it before the 2016 draft. Lack of winning culture or something like that is the real reason.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
How did nobody trade a 3rd for him? That seems bizarre. Especially for teams with multiple thirds like Arizona. Rangers in particular should've traded a third since Mascherin could be a good rebuild piece.

Teams are probably playing a game of chicken to some degree. They know Florida has to do something by June 1st, so maybe interested teams are reserving their "best" offer until then and/or otherwise teams are sending low ball offers.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I would say that the 3rd round would make sense for Mascherin as a re-entry. I don't think there's any way he goes in early 2nd. The production is great. He's got an NHL caliber shot and release. The puck skill and protection ability is strong too. But I do wonder how effective he'll be at the next level. The skating has improved over his OHL career, but it's still only average and he's certainly not the biggest guy around. Will he be able to create the time and space he needs at the next level? I've seen some compare him to a guy like Tyler Toffoli, but I think Toffoli was able to improve his skating and play without the puck a lot more than Mascherin did over his OHL career (comparing them as graduating OHL players). While they are different players in terms of physicality, I think Mascherin's skating ability and offensive skill set (again minus the physicality) reminds me a lot of Taylor Beck. And he had a lot of trouble replicating his production at the NHL level because the skating just never became good enough.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I would say that the 3rd round would make sense for Mascherin as a re-entry. I don't think there's any way he goes in early 2nd. The production is great. He's got an NHL caliber shot and release. The puck skill and protection ability is strong too. But I do wonder how effective he'll be at the next level. The skating has improved over his OHL career, but it's still only average and he's certainly not the biggest guy around. Will he be able to create the time and space he needs at the next level? I've seen some compare him to a guy like Tyler Toffoli, but I think Toffoli was able to improve his skating and play without the puck a lot more than Mascherin did over his OHL career (comparing them as graduating OHL players). While they are different players in terms of physicality, I think Mascherin's skating ability and offensive skill set (again minus the physicality) reminds me a lot of Taylor Beck. And he had a lot of trouble replicating his production at the NHL level because the skating just never became good enough.
He's not as good as DeBrincat, but that's another guy who isn't a great skater, but was able to translate his game to the NHL no problem. They've both got a similar release.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I would easily trade a third round pick for Mascherin.

He was a player I wanted the Leafs to draft in his draft year.
Same here. Hawks have two thirds and Mascherin is a much safer bet than some of the third rounders that aren't as proven.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I have to think Mascherin for whatever reason is set on re-entering the draft. Can't fathom any other reason why teams wouldn't give up a pick for him.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I have to think Mascherin for whatever reason is set on re-entering the draft. Can't fathom any other reason why teams wouldn't give up a pick for him.

wouldn't that hurt him? The team that drafts him doesn't have to give him an ELC right away and he's more likely to get 100k or so less NHL salary and possibly tens of thousands less on his AHL salary.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
wouldn't that hurt him? The team that drafts him doesn't have to give him an ELC right away and he's more likely to get 100k or so less NHL salary and possibly tens of thousands less on his AHL salary.
Yeah I have no clue what his reason is, just that I think that's what he's doing

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
What's the story here? I'm wondering why the Panthers can't get him signed in the first place. I saw a blurb about how he's upset at how he was handled in training/development camp or something like that....

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Don't quote me on this but I heard from a friend of a friend that Adam never even got invites to training camp from the Panthers. Either they completely forgot about his existence or they chose to do this. He has been extremely unhappy with being left out of their organizational loops since being drafted and he vowed not to sign with them because of their negligence.

I trust my source and what they're saying and honestly I don't blame Adam one bit. The Panthers front office is terrible.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Don't quote me on this but I heard from a friend of a friend that Adam never even got invites to training camp from the Panthers. Either they completely forgot about his existence or they chose to do this. He has been extremely unhappy with being left out of their organizational loops since being drafted and he vowed not to sign with them because of their negligence.

I trust my source and what they're saying and honestly I don't blame Adam one bit. The Panthers front office is terrible.
What's left out there is that he was injured at the time - had a shoulder surgery during the summer. They told him not to come because he was still recovering - they probably could/should have still asked him to come anyway, but he wasn't going to play and he still wasn't 100% when his season started, which was obvious in his early game. And if he decided in September that he was not signing with the Panthers, why give an interview in December about his "good relationship with the organisation", including how he's talking weekly with the Panthers and just had a dinner with our director of player personnel?

We have quite a few forward prospects with middle 6 potential like him so I don't exactly blame Mascherin if he decides leaving is the best thing for his career, but let's not act like he's a poor victim in this mess.

Reactions: Beezeral

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

So its negligence because they told the kid to focus on his recovery instead of fly down and stand around doing nothing for a week? SMH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad