C Robert Thomas - Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL (2017, 20th, STL)

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Seems like a good player but I get a Scott Laughton vibe from him. Not saying they're exactly comparable but more that level. Maybe I'm completely wrong though.

I really liked Laughton in his draft year btw.

I see some Laughton in his game as well. Hopefully he can have a better career.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Think you're confusing him with Formenton. While he's not slow and has good speed -- enough to create separation from most defenders -- he never pegged me as explosive. To me, explosive is Bure, Gartner, Hagelin types.

Agile, elusive and strong on his feet? Yes, absolutely. Fast? More quick than explosive. Explosive skaters are next to impossible to contain and generate most of their chances/set-ups from their speed. Most of the great things Thomas does is from within tight quarters, give or take a few exceptions.

It would be hard to confuse Thomas with Formenten considering they have different names, different numbers and are different hockey players and human beings. Formenten is fast but Thomas is just as fast at this point. Last year Thomas wasn't very fast but that's all changed.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
It would be hard to confuse Thomas with Formenten considering they have different names, different numbers and are different hockey players and human beings. Formenten is fast but Thomas is just as fast at this point. Last year Thomas wasn't very fast but that's all changed.

Just an FYI but Formenton handily beat Thomas in the on-ice skating portion of the CHL combine tests. My eye test reveals Formenton is the faster, more explosive skater.

(C) ROBERT THOMAS – London Knights (OHL) [28]

Thomas describes himself as: Smart, creative, fast, smooth, playmaker

NHL Central Scouting says: Excellent hockey IQ – very smart and poised playmaker; the type that makes players around him better – strong offensive hockey sense; very creative game handling & moving the puck – deceptively good to surprise you with a play that keeps his teams puck possession alive or generates a scoring chance – hard working & competitive – capable of making a difference every time he’s on the ice.

http://sherwin-williamstopprospects.ca/article/meet-team-cherry-3

(LW) ALEX FORMENTON – London Knights (OHL) [24]

Formenton describes himself as: Dedicated, passionate, fast, smart, determined

NHL Central Scouting says: First year player in the OHL with excellent NHL speed & quickness – combination of size, speed & skill make him a dangerous offensive threat – his speed can be a difference maker on the play which defenders learn to respect – brings a consistent work ethic and plays a strong puck pursuit game – competes consistently & effectively with his skills and assets in all situations to earn extra ice time.

http://sherwin-williamstopprospects.ca/article/meet-team-orr-3

Different scouting reports. I'd like to think that if Central Scouting types thought Thomas was a speed demon, they'd mention it in this preliminary scouting report.

I guess agree to disagree.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Just an FYI but Formenton handily beat Thomas in the on-ice skating portion of the CHL combine tests. My eye test reveals Formenton is the faster, more explosive skater.

http://sherwin-williamstopprospects.ca/article/meet-team-cherry-3

http://sherwin-williamstopprospects.ca/article/meet-team-orr-3

Different scouting reports. I'd like to think that if Central Scouting types thought Thomas was a speed demon, they'd mention it in this preliminary scouting report.

I guess agree to disagree.

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. You said he's neither fast nor explosive. To me those two are different things. From what I've seen Thomas is fast, but not necessarily explosive. You said yourself that he's speedy enough to create seperation from most defenders. To me that's a guy that's fast. He's probably never going to be as fast as those guys you mentioned (Bure, Hagelin etc), but why would he need to be? Most NHLers aren't that fast. Thomas is quick enough, and he's great in all other facets of skating (edgework, lateral agility etc), to be successful in the NHL. It's not something that's going to hold him back whatsoever the way I see it, especially as he continues to get stronger.

Reactions: Blueston

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Thomas always reminded me of Fabbri, so interesting to see him go to STL.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Thomas is so good. He has this innate confidence with the puck that allows him to control the play when he has it. Insane vision and slick hands. I can't help but see Giroux when I watch him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's a smaller faster Mark Stone

Blues continue to prove they are the best drafting team in the league.
There up there. In my eyes the best teams have been Tampa and Anaheim recently. The crazy thing about Tampa, is they've missed on 2 top 10 picks, but have hit well in the late rounds.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
In the last decade of so, Anaheim has done very well in regards to the expected returns on their picks. They just rarely draft high so they don't have superstars to point to. They've drafted 2 legit starting goalies, and rarely miss on a pick. The only notable miss would be Etem who was a later 1st rounder, and when they drafted Holland and MacMillan almost a decade ago. Lindholm, Rakell, Fowler, Gardiner, and Palmieri were very good picks for the expected value in the areas they were taken. Plus Vatanen and Montour were great value pick. Every team is going to miss, but to hit as often as they do in the 1st round while not being a lottery team is impressive.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
In the last decade of so, Anaheim has done very well in regards to the expected returns on their picks. They just rarely draft high so they don't have superstars to point to. They've drafted 2 legit starting goalies, and rarely miss on a pick. The only notable miss would be Etem who was a later 1st rounder, and when they drafted Holland and MacMillan almost a decade ago. Lindholm, Rakell, Fowler, Gardiner, and Palmieri were very good picks for the expected value in the areas they were taken. Plus Vatanen and Montour were great value pick. Every team is going to miss, but to hit as often as they do in the 1st round while not being a lottery team is impressive.

I see. I thought you meant the last few. I've been a bit underwhelmed, especially by the Max Jones pick.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I see. I thought you meant the last few. I've been a bit underwhelmed, especially by the Max Jones pick.
I'm holding out judgement on guys drafted 2015 or even 2014 or later when evaluating how guys in the back half of the first round are hitting. Those guys can take awhile. In general, outside of the lottery you have at best a 50/50 chance of getting a starter, a top 6 forward or a top 4 defender. In general, the odds are closer to 40% to 35%.

I'm not a fan of the Jones pick, and I don't think Ritchie will live up to expectations, but its too early to say that they won't atleast meet average value for where they were picked.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Thomas is so good. He has this innate confidence with the puck that allows him to control the play when he has it. Insane vision and slick hands. I can't help but see Giroux when I watch him.

THANK YOU. I've been saying that since day 1. I see so much giroux in him.

Semaj49

Jul 28, 2009
There up there. In my eyes the best teams have been Tampa and Anaheim recently. The crazy thing about Tampa, is they've missed on 2 top 10 picks, but have hit well in the late rounds.

Tampa has been drafting gems in later round but really struggles with early pick. For me it's just crazy how they draft low upside guys like Foote/Howden/Stephens/Spencer early (didn't see Hajek play so I will not add him on the list) and hit on later pick consistently. Drafting DeAngelo was the opposite and was a head scratcher considering his playing style/caracter.

Brannstrom would have been perfect for them last year with all the talent on this team.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Thomas could have been on the Blues this year if we didn't have the luxury of sending him back to juniors to mature a bit more physically.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Thomas has taken some major steps forward this season in his D+1 year.

Right shot center, strong player away from the puck for his age. FO% has improved from last year and goal production has skyrocketed relative to last season. Both of those were things he needed to work on, he obviously did and is getting dramatic results so credit to him for putting in the work. Had a strong training camp for the Blues but due to his age and inexperience was returned to junior. Saw a report earlier in the season that the London coaching staff sometimes uses him as a dman on the PK. I think he's a very strong contender to grab the Blues 3C spot out of camp next year with his primary competition currently projected as being guys like Sundqvist and Barbashev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad