C Robert Thomas - Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL (2017, 20th, STL)

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He's a top 60 pick this year - possibly a first. His hands, vision and hockey sense are great. I'm very surprised he's flown under the radar this long.

Reminds me of Robby Fabbri.

EDIT: Also, those stats are a bit out of date. He has 30 points in 27 games.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
London always manages to do this... pulls talent out of absolutely nowhere.

Don't be surprised if he lands in the first round or second round to the Leafs because of Big Mark

thething

Jul 28, 2014
Wasn't expecting him to put up these numbers this year since I thought Tkachuk and Roslovic would be in London this year.

Was hoping he would slip to the 3rd round for the Canucks but at this point it's more likely he gets taken as a late first rounder.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
He's a top 60 pick this year - possibly a first. His hands, vision and hockey sense are great. I'm very surprised he's flown under the radar this long.

Reminds me of Robby Fabbri.

EDIT: Also, those stats are a bit out of date. He has 30 points in 27 games.

I've always got Bo Horvat vibes from him. I love his two-way game so much.

London always manages to do this... pulls talent out of absolutely nowhere.

Don't be surprised if he lands in the first round or second round to the Leafs because of Big Mark

Well, not really out of nowhere. He was a second round pick of the Knights.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
This kid is Smooth. He's really Push-ing his way up the lineup. He had some games where he looked like he was Unwell, but since then he's been Back 2 Good. He's really succeeding under the Bright Lights, and one day he'll look back and think about How Far We've Come.
This didn't let me down

whlscowt

Hunter is unreal-- he keeps grabbing kids and turning them into really good 2 way centers. Easily one of the best development coaches in the world. Watch clips of Thomas last year and then watch him this year, especially on the backcheck. I know for a fact he turned Tierney into an NHL player with how he coached him defense first--and then let him run wild once that part of his game was honed.

Horvat, Tierney, Dvorak, Pu, and now Thomas are very similarish (notice the ish, don't want to get flamed haha) styled players. I'd pick up this kid just on the Hunter factor alone.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Rob Thomas looks really smooth, just like Rob Thomas did in the music video for "Smooth" with Santana.

Last edited:

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
How does he compare to Horvat in his draft year?

Horvat was stronger and stockier. Thomas is shiftier and more of a playmaker. They just play two different types of games with two different body types.

Thomas is absolutely ridiculous though, I wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted by a non-playoff team this year, and quite frankly I'd be surprised if he wasn't. He's just so smooth and smart, that kind of hockey sense you just can't teach.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Horvat was stronger and stockier. Thomas is shiftier and more of a playmaker. They just play two different types of games with two different body types.

A comparable to Robert Thomas in style bugs me because I struggle to think of one. I agree he and Horvat play different styles, but as for body type, I actually do get the comparison. Horvat is a tank, but he was listed as 6 ft, 200 lbs when he was drafted. The OHL site lists Thomas as 6 ft, 188 lbs. Maybe an inch is tacked on, but he certainly looks and plays like around that size. He's got a real stocky build himself just by looking at him. I don't think he gets over 220 lbs like Horvat, but he seems like a kid who could carry a lot of weight. And he plays very very strong. Knocking him off the puck or winning battles against him down low can be a real chore. So, I actually do get the London, similar draft production, similar body type, gritty 2-way center comparison. Play style I'm not sure on.

Thomas is absolutely ridiculous though, I wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted by a non-playoff team this year, and quite frankly I'd be surprised if he wasn't. He's just so smooth and smart, that kind of hockey sense you just can't teach.

Once it gets into the mid teens, so around the playoff line, he's right up there with anyone to me. One of my absolute favorites this year; watching him every shift is just an enjoyable display of hockey IQ and what a through and through pro-style kid looks like. Just find it hard to believe he doesn't have a high floor of great shutdown 3C, and a sneaky ceiling too. He definitely feels like he has even more to offer offensively, if given a larger role with more consistent top 6 line-mates, and continued development (also being a summer b-day)......and Hunter already trust hims immensely as a shutdown, do-everything guy. He's scoring great for his role, but I just think there's even more latent skill there. Even his skating is pretty powerful and fluid in stride. But continuing to work on his first steps could open up his game even more.

I really can't say enough good things about him, in every aspect of his game. He just looks like an NHLer. The only think that irritates me sometimes is his propensity to not shoot and over-pass and get too cute with it, but at the same time he's a heckuva passer.

Last edited:

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Why isn't there more talk of this kid? He's impressed me every time I've seen him, wouldn't mind if the Rangers grabbed him in the late 1st.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Why isn't there more talk of this kid? He's impressed me every time I've seen him, wouldn't mind if the Rangers grabbed him in the late 1st.

I think he's worthy of a late 1st. I hope the Rangers grab him - he's probably my favourite Knights player - and NYC is probably my favourite city...so it will be easy for me to make the trip to watch him play :nod:

As far as the talk on him - I agree he deserves way more attention than he's received - the Knights have a bunch of NHL-drafted players on the team who get a lot of attention. I think that has led to Thomas being overshadowed somewhat - but the fans who follow the team know how talented he is.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I think he deserves some credit for his play through the first two games against Windsor. One of the best players on the ice both games, imo.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
3 points today against Windsor, gives him 7 points in 6 games. I think he's my pick for most underrated right now; I've got him in my top 15. Love the way he plays. Could see him going anywhere from 15-35 though.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Hoping Thomas is available when the Oilers pick. He'd be a perfect middle six center.

Interesting comparison:

Thomas, Draft - 1: 40 GP, 15 pts
Player X, Draft - 1: 67 GP, 17 pts

Thomas, Draft: 66 GP, 66 pts (3rd in team scoring)
Player X, Draft: 65 GP, 67 pts (5th in team scoring)

Thomas- 6'0 184 lbs
Player X- 6'0 184 lbs

Both were/are also London Knights.

Who is Player X? David Bolland. A (prime) Bolland is exactly what the Oilers could use as they flourish into being perennial contenders.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Was terrific again tonight to help London advance.

One of the best all around players in the draft and one of the younger ones too.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I like him more and more everytime i see him, reminds me quite a bit in style of Stepan, really smart player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad