C Robert Thomas - Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL (2017, 20th, STL)

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Lol no bias at all coming through there right?

Frost had a phenomenal year. There's a reason he was runner-up for OHL Player of the Year to the 1 year older Jordan Kyrou The entire SSM team hit the wall in that series so to compare 2 prospects based off of one series is total bull****.
Did you really come into the Robert Thomas thread looking for unbiased analysis of Morgan Frost? And you’re NOT biased at all about Frost? Spare me the indignation.

Frost is a great prospect and you’re right he had a phenomenal season on a stacked SSM team. That playoff series was the only chance I had to watch both Thomas and Frost head to head and Frost was completely invisible while Thomas had an enormous impact.

Call it bullshit if you want, but right now, I think Thomas is quite a bit ahead of Frost in terms of NHL readiness. I wouldn’t trade Thomas straight up for Frost. Do you think Frost is a better player than Thomas right now?

I’ll be interested to see how Frost does next season in junior on a SSM team that may be a bit weaker.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Did you really come into the Robert Thomas thread looking for unbiased analysis of Morgan Frost? And you’re NOT biased at all about Frost? Spare me the indignation.

Frost is a great prospect and you’re right he had a phenomenal season on a stacked SSM team. That playoff series was the only chance I had to watch both Thomas and Frost head to head and Frost was completely invisible while Thomas had an enormous impact.

Call it bull**** if you want, but right now, I think Thomas is quite a bit ahead of Frost in terms of NHL readiness. I wouldn’t trade Thomas straight up for Frost. Do you think Frost is a better player than Thomas right now?

I’ll be interested to see how Frost does next season in junior on a SSM team that may be a bit weaker.

I didn't pose the Thomas vs Frost question, a neutral fan did.

No, I wouldn't go as far as to say that Frost is a better prospect than Thomas, but I have an issue with your assertion that Thomas is "far better" like they aren't in the same ballpark. That's just not true and wreaks of bias. I have no problem with Thomas being ranked ahead of Frost if we are making a list though.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Call it bull**** if you want, but right now, I think Thomas is quite a bit ahead of Frost in terms of NHL readiness. I wouldn’t trade Thomas straight up for Frost. Do you think Frost is a better player than Thomas right now?

Flyer fan from Hamilton: Thomas is a lot more physically mature right now. Frost will benefit from another year in Jr (start shaving, gain some muscle). Frost can skate faster but he can't go into the areas Thomas can. We'll see a few years from now how their games translate.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I didn't pose the Thomas vs Frost question, a neutral fan did.

No, I wouldn't go as far as to say that Frost is a better prospect than Thomas, but I have an issue with your assertion that Thomas is "far better" like they aren't in the same ballpark. That's just not true and wreaks of bias. I have no problem with Thomas being ranked ahead of Frost if we are making a list though.
Fair enough, perhaps there was some recency bias from the Hamilton vs SSM series and I overstated the gap between Thomas and Frost. It's not an overstatement to say that Thomas handily outplayed Frost head-to-head in that series tho. I don't mean to trash Frost as a prospect, he had a fantastic season. But I do believe that Thomas is currently a clear step above.

Flyer fan from Hamilton: Thomas is a lot more physically mature right now. Frost will benefit from another year in Jr (start shaving, gain some muscle). Frost can skate faster but he can't go into the areas Thomas can. We'll see a few years from now how their games translate.
Frost may skate faster, but I don't think the difference in speed is huge. Thomas' skating is definitely a plus. He has talked about wanting to improve his acceleration and first couple steps, but his edge work and lateral movement is already outstanding.

It's not just that Thomas is a bit more physically mature, it's that he uses his body well. Not much good to be bigger but not use your size to your advantage. Thomas uses his size very effectively, particularly in board battles and below the red line, to maintain possession and generate opportunities in the o-zone.

All-in-all I see a lot of translatable skills in Thomas, hopefully he can make the leap to the NHL next season. Agreed that another year in junior growing and maturing will be good for Frost. There's no reason he can't be just as good as Thomas in the future. Just think Thomas is a step ahead currently.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Gotta think Thomas will adapt really quick to the NHL.

Smart speedy two-way center with a solid frame. Could be an interesting dark horse candidate for ROY if he gets generous minutes. Despite having some scoring troubles in Hamilton (at least during the regular season) I like his shot a lot. He will be able to beat NHL goalies.

As for the Frost v. Thomas discussion. Anyone saying either is on a different tier is being a little silly. Having one above the other is fine. But, claiming one to be in a different tier is a funny.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
According to Darren Pang. Thomas played through the majority of the OHL playoffs and Memorial Cup with a high ankle sprain.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

This kid is gunna be a player. I can see him making the blues out of camp and slowly moving up their lineup.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
yeah we should have a good year with high end prospects like thomas, blais and helt pushing to make the team and have an impact

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
I picked him up as a late pick in keeper fantasy at start of season. What do you guys see as his offensive upside?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Just an incredibly mature player with severely unheralded vision and skill. The play on the OT goal was fantastic, handling the puck in tight in his feet while simultaneously moving into a scoring position.

He actually resembles O’Rielly in a number of ways. St. Louis is in a good place with those guys as their top-6 centres. I would bet that Thomas will supplant ROR as the clear top centre within three seasons.

Reactions: STLBLUES44

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Starting his career on the wing like Bergeron did, hopefully he can develop into an elite two way center like Bergeron too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad