C Robert Thomas - Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL (2017, 20th, STL)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Wont go past 15. Hes good really good

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Agreed. I think he's the drop the jaws riser of the draft.

Oozes potential as well as being a 200ft player, he's the whole package. Very polished skills already. Wouldn't be surprised if he put up 100 points next year and if someone takes him in the top 10.

How does London keep finding these guys?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I'm on board with the guys above. His last 3 games have been scary good and he seems to be improving fast. Being a right handed centre will increase interest too.

One of the most complete players in the draft. Soft, soft hands with amazing IQ.

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
Agree he's could be top 10 pick. Tough to see him being picked beyond 15. Sick playoff performance.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Oozes potential as well as being a 200ft player, he's the whole package. Very polished skills already. Wouldn't be surprised if he put up 100 points next year and if someone takes him in the top 10.

How does London keep finding these guys?

A massive scouting infrastructure that few other teams can match.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Happy to see more and more love for this kid. Just doesn't seem to be bad at anything, and is quite good at a few things.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
This kid is a great all around prospect. I agree with everyone saying he will be a riser in the rankings.

The only thing he needs to improve on is he tends to look off his own shot a little too much. He is a great playmaker, but he has a very quick and hard shot that he needs to use more often. If he gets that figured out, I definitely think he will score 100+ points next year.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Agree with the above. As good as a passer as he is, he can be so pass first, second, and third it's obvious he won't shoot much of the time, even in completely obvious shooting situations where he'll pass out of it for a worse look. And his shot is an OK one. He needs to use it more to keep the defense honest and to further hone his offense.

I think another step in bringing out his offense will be just attacking more in general. He has a very stocky, midsize PWF build. I'd just love to see him integrate that more in the coming years in driving the net hard with the puck, which sort of goes back to the shooting. He can get a bit casual and perimeter with the puck at times, content to cycle (not that there's anything wrong with that -- few players his age have his advanced cycle game) and looking to pass, sometimes trying too hard for the perfect, highlight pass. Just things to work on for a player who is and has been one of my favorites.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Agree with the above. As good as a passer as he is, he can be so pass first, second, and third it's obvious he won't shoot much of the time, even in completely obvious shooting situations where he'll pass out of it for a worse look. And his shot is an OK one. He needs to use it more to keep the defense honest and to further hone his offense.

I think another step in bringing out his offense will be just attacking more in general. He has a very stocky, midsize PWF build. I'd just love to see him integrate that more in the coming years in driving the net hard with the puck, which sort of goes back to the shooting. He can get a bit casual and perimeter with the puck at times, content to cycle (not that there's anything wrong with that -- few players his age have his advanced cycle game) and looking to pass, sometimes trying too hard for the perfect, highlight pass. Just things to work on for a player who is and has been one of my favorites.

This is truly my only critique of him as well.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'd absolutely love Thomas as the 1st round pick of the Oilers, but I fear he'll be long gone by then. I echo what others have said and think he'll be a big draft day riser. Would actually be surprised if he isn't taken in the top15. Huge fan.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Hope he falls to the leafs pick. Hes been my top choice for our pick all year

Expecting a huge jump in numbers next year as he has all the tools already. Great overall game, similar playing style as Matthews but more of a pass-first guy. And obviously not as good lol.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Seems like a good player but I get a Scott Laughton vibe from him. Not saying they're exactly comparable but more that level. Maybe I'm completely wrong though.

I really liked Laughton in his draft year btw.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What are his stats 1st half of year and last half? Havent watched him but just PPG in draft year is a warning flag. If he drastically improved stats in last half then maybe hes a late bloomer

The 2nd warning is linemates. Does he normally play with Pu and Piccinch. If so there is additional warning flags because he gets most of his points on assists and both guys have 26 and 35 goals. #2B warning flag would be low goal totals in junior. Looks like a good playmaker but still have to be able to score in junior somewhat

The third warning flag would be that he went from 15 points in draft -1 to 66 in draft year. Normally this is a good sign of progression but warning flags if he increased largely due to playing with Pu and Piccincih

This is pure stat watching, but there is some warning flags that ive seen with similar players in the past who have went to to disappoint in pro

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Nah, those aren't really legit red flags. He's the offensive catalyst of his line when he's on the ice. He played a 2nd/3rd line role on the Knights this year with limited PP time, which could explain his relatively low production.

I think he's an elite talent in terms of offensive hockey IQ. His passing abilities were easily the best on the Knights this year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nah, those aren't really legit red flags. He's the offensive catalyst of his line when he's on the ice. He played a 2nd/3rd line role on the Knights this year with limited PP time, which could explain his relatively low production.

I think he's an elite talent in terms of offensive hockey IQ. His passing abilities were easily the best on the Knights this year.

PPG in draft year with top line minutes is a pretty big red flag for 1st round picks, especially if you are the 2nd or 3rd most productive guy on your line. But if hes playing lower in the line up with lesser linemates and still getting PPG then thats pretty good

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
He started the season in the 3rd and 4th lines, and finished the season in the 1st line playing big minutes in special teams. Not sure when he exactly moved up in the lineup but he played in 3rd line in January. He plays two-way style and has great IQ, hands, passing... needs to use his shot more. Player comparable: Derek Stepan/ Vincent Trocheck. I'd be very happy to select Thomas around 15th spot and maybe even around 10.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Too bad he rose so much so we coulent get him at 33 :laugh:

I got him at 9/10 around there :)

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Thomas isn't a fast skater. Skates well, which is a nice way of saying it isn't on par with the better skaters. He makes up for it with puck control, vision, IQ, shiftiness, edges, balance etc which he uses to buy time and space.

Some teams might has speed or explosiveness as a first-pick prerequisite. In other words, if an organization lacks speed up front, they'll lean towards the faster guy as a tiebreaker.

I love Thomas as a prospect. He can play for my team any day. Think he'll squeak into the first round as a 2nd 1st rounder for a team like Arizona, Dallas or St. Louis but I wouldn't spend a lottery pick on him.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
He's an explosive skater. I don't know what you're talking about. On top of that he can handle the puck and make plays at speed. No doubt in my mind he will be amongst the best skaters in the OHL next year. He's also got a hard shot but the release could be quicker.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Weird. Even at my ripe old age the first thing i thought when I watched Thomas in the Prospects game was what a great skater he is. I had no idea who he was but that game really got me interested. Can't see it holding him back. Sure this wasn't meant for the Strome thread?

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
He's an explosive skater. I don't know what you're talking about. On top of that he can handle the puck and make plays at speed. No doubt in my mind he will be amongst the best skaters in the OHL next year. He's also got a hard shot but the release could be quicker.

Think you're confusing him with Formenton. While he's not slow and has good speed -- enough to create separation from most defenders -- he never pegged me as explosive. To me, explosive is Bure, Gartner, Hagelin types.

Agile, elusive and strong on his feet? Yes, absolutely. Fast? More quick than explosive. Explosive skaters are next to impossible to contain and generate most of their chances/set-ups from their speed. Most of the great things Thomas does is from within tight quarters, give or take a few exceptions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad