C Nolan Patrick - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2017 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Tough thing is with his injury history through his teens, Lindros may be a favourable comparison. He is a more playmaker type then the bullish Lindros, but he still has that go to the traffic and do whatit takes to win mentality.

I hope injuries don't derail what could be a heckuva career.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Better than Getzlaf seems like pretty high praise, but you'd not need to look any further than their PIMS to tell they're not the same type of player.

Don't worry about him, he hyperboles everything, he thinks McDavid is going to get close to 100 points this year.

Patrick is definitely a solid player, I do see a lot of Getzlaf similarities in his game (with some Ryan Johansen thrown in) without the mean streak...but it is way to early to think he's up there with Eichel/McDavid/Tavares to name a few. His defensive game is already pretty ridiculously good. But I also think he's fortunate to play on such a loaded team, I doubt he would have the same impact offensively if he was on the Blazers or Ice (Wheat Kings lead the WHL in goals scored). Though don't take anything away from this, he's still a fantastic player. Definitely going to challenge for 1st overall in 2017, but probably think he's one step below Matthews currently. With that being said, there is a chance he might even improve and surpass Matthews, we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Yup. It's not impossible Comtois and Vilardi can catch up, they've both had strong starts to their CHL seasons. Then there's big russian Nikita A. Popugayev who looks very interesting so far. Patrick is obviously the favorite right now but there's plenty of guys who could make a case for #1. The 2017 draft is a loooong way away.

Popugayev isn't in the same zip code as patrick....

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Someone will emerge to challenge him, I'm waiting to with Popugayev because theres still a chance he's a product of Brayden Point. He wasn't seen as a special player recently before this season. I'm interested in this Vesalainen kid . The biggest threats a year or two ago were seen as Khodorenko and Gildon but they haven't had the impact one would expect, though I haven't seen him play, stats wise one would expect more for a potential top 5 player. Pure defensive defenceman rarely ever crack the top 10.

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
Someone will emerge to challenge him, I'm waiting to with Popugayev because theres still a chance he's a product of Brayden Point. He wasn't seen as a special player recently before this season. I'm interested in this Vesalainen kid . The biggest threats a year or two ago were seen as Khodorenko and Gildon but they haven't had the impact one would expect, though I haven't seen him play, stats wise one would expect more for a potential top 5 player. Pure defensive defenceman rarely ever crack the top 10.

Would think Vilardi from Windsor is the best challenger at the moment.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I watched Pop all preseason and for the first bit of regular season before Point came back and he is definitely the real deal. Kid has the talent and size to make the NHL. His point totals will definitely get inflated a tad with Point up the middle but I don't think he will challenge Patrick. He should go top 10 though by the time its all said and done

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Popugayev isn't in the same zip code as patrick....

He's a russian who just came over to NA with everything that comes with it. Despite that he has started real strong with 5 goals and 11 points in 6 games. The 2017 draft is a very long way from now, who knows how good he'll be when he has gotten more comfortable? Better PPG rate than Patrick this year so far (small sample size) and Patrick is playing on maybe the most stacked team in WHL while having had an additional season to learn the ropes in the league...I'm not saying Popugayev is definitely going to challenge but to dismiss it entirely at this point is pretty ridiculous.

rockhouse15

Jul 23, 2011
Comtois would be right up there with his start as well.

Way too early to tell but Patrick is easily the front runner right now.

Agree with all 3 points. Still pretty impressive that the top-3 forwards as of now are already close to NHL size at 6'1"-3" and about 195 lbs

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
He's a russian who just came over to NA with everything that comes with it. Despite that he has started real strong with 5 goals and 11 points in 6 games. The 2017 draft is a very long way from now, who knows how good he'll be when he has gotten more comfortable? Better PPG rate than Patrick this year so far (small sample size) and Patrick is playing on maybe the most stacked team in WHL while having had an additional season to learn the ropes in the league...I'm not saying Popugayev is definitely going to challenge but to dismiss it entirely at this point is pretty ridiculous.

Having watched both I would say Popugayev is still raw and the biggest factor is Pop is a winger and Patrick is a center. I think Pop goes in the top 10.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Vilardi will be a better play than Patrick IMO. They are similar size and they both have just average to below average wheels at this point, but it doesn't seem to hamper either of them. But still, they'll need to get that extra gear to play their games in the NHL.

I think Patrick plays a more mature style game than Gabe right now, as he is stronger and is just better in his own zone, but I think Vilardi has a higher offensive ceiling than Patrick. Vilardi's hands and vision are up there with some of the best prospects to come along recently, and I just don't see the same with Nolan. Not to say Patrick doesn't have good offensive upside, I just see Vilardi's being higher and I think he's more dynamic with the puck. Vilardi will lead 99's in scoring in the OHL this year IMO, and will be a top 10 pick in 2017.

thething

Jul 28, 2014
Vilardi will be a better play than Patrick IMO. They are similar size and they both have just average to below average wheels at this point, but it doesn't seem to hamper either of them. But still, they'll need to get that extra gear to play their games in the NHL.

I think Patrick plays a more mature style game than Gabe right now, as he is stronger and is just better in his own zone, but I think Vilardi has a higher offensive ceiling than Patrick. Vilardi's hands and vision are up there with some of the best prospects to come along recently, and I just don't see the same with Nolan. Not to say Patrick doesn't have good offensive upside, I just see Vilardi's being higher and I think he's more dynamic with the puck. Vilardi will lead 99's in scoring in the OHL this year IMO, and will be a top 10 pick in 2017.

If Vilardi is better than Patrick, forget top ten, he'd be a favourite for the first pick.

Also how does Levin compare to Vilardi? Is Levin better or did Vilardi not want to go to Sudbury?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
If Vilardi is better than Patrick, forget top ten, he'd be a favourite for the first pick.

Also how does Levin compare to Vilardi? Is Levin better or did Vilardi not want to go to Sudbury?

There was like 5 players that could have went # 1 for the 2015 OHL draft. It was simply a matter of each teams opinion.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Also, is he going to be NHL ready right after being drafted or will he be like Yakupov and need another year in juniors

Yakupov was NHL-ready, he just sucks now because he never got the proper coaching to improve.

I can't think of a single 1st overall pick since Patrick Kane and Erik Johnson who wasn't NHL-ready after being drafted, and even Kane proved he was the real deal by winning the Calder trophy fresh out of juniors. We've had a really good run of prospects who have shown to be able to contribute right out of the gate, and I expect that to continue at least through 2017.

But to answer your question, at the rate he's growing he should be NHL-ready by the 2017-18 season. Things can change a lot though in 2 years, for all we know he'll drop off a cliff.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
As gifted and talented as Nolan is, he isn't even close to the level of Matthews or Eichel.

IMO, he'll go top 3 in 2017.....FOR SURE!! But he's not a 'generational' talent.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Does Patrick have a legitimate shot at a World Junior spot?

Yeah, if guys like Virtanen, Fabbri, and McCann get to stay with the big club. I can see Patrick playing a limited fourth line role much like MacKinnon did a few years back as a 17-year-old and Crouse last year.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Does Patrick have a legitimate shot at a World Junior spot?

seeing as how hes already one of the best defensive players in the WHL, the only way he doesn't is if he plays poorly or HC looks too closely at his age. A 4th line role would be perfect for him.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
To me, Patrick has shown strong similarities to Alexander Barkov when watching him play.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Having only seen him briefly, what separates him from becoming another Sean Couturier?

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
He reminds me of Getzlaf. Very dominant player, but he needs to use his shot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad