C Nolan Patrick - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2017 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Putting up a point per game in the CHL as a 16 year old is pretty impressive though, he's on the fast track to being a very high pick in 2017. He'll be a full year older than a lot of his draft crop as well - he misses next year's draft by just 4 days.

arsmaster*

I'm going to save you guys. If you search him on youtube, don't just type his name in, add hockey to the end. There are no good compilations anyways.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Went to Game 1 of the WHL finals the other day, and I must say I came away very impressed. Was the best player on the ice Game 1. Made a beautiful pass from Brandon's first goal. Seems like a good skater, big body, good hands, good vision, great shot, and he thinks the game at a very high level. Kid should be a real good one.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Went to Game 1 of the WHL finals the other day, and I must say I came away very impressed. Was the best player on the ice Game 1. Made a beautiful pass from Brandon's first goal. Seems like a good skater, big body, good hands, good vision, great shot, and he thinks the game at a very high level. Kid should be a real good one.

Draisaitl was better.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
There was a huge PK for Brandon towards the end of the 1st, down 2-1 with a minute to go with Kelowna's big unit on the ice. I was amazed it was Patrick coming out to take the defensive zone faceoff vs Drais.

That's a lot of confidence in a kid as young as Patrick.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
8 pts in last 3 games, and I'm guessing he's in store for a massive year.

Where would Patrick go if he was eligible for the 2016 draft? With his abilities, would he possibly challenge Matthews?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
8 pts in last 3 games, and I'm guessing he's in store for a massive year.

Where would Patrick go if he was eligible for the 2016 draft? With his abilities, would he possibly challenge Matthews?

Watched him a little so far. I'd take him 1st overall this year if I could. The way he can turn it up, almost like he has two settings. It's unreal.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Nolan Patrick

Whats his upside, how does he compare to McDavid, RNH, MacKinnon and other top center prospects. What kind of player does he compare to?

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Whats his upside, how does he compare to McDavid, RNH, MacKinnon and other top center prospects. What kind of player does he compare to?

McD>Matthews>Eichel>Patrick>RNH=MacKinnin

If he really turns it on this and next year he could very well leap frog Eichel as this point. Who will be better in the long run is up to them.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
McD>Matthews>Eichel>Patrick>RNH=MacKinnin

If he really turns it on this and next year he could very well leap frog Eichel as this point. Who will be better in the long run is up to them.

Really, that speaks volumes for his potential, is he really that good a player?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Patrick is a really solid player. I think he could challenge for 1st overall, he plays and acts like a pro. He's 6'3 but he's also think for his size and his skating needs some work. Has a weird stride and his legs look pretty small compared to his upper body so he's really raw physically (which is a good thing for young players because it shows room for growth). Patrick has a good shot, really nice quick release with good accuracy and power. He's a smart player kind of like Toews, reads the play and then reacts. He wins puck battles like Toews, gets the body position, his stick digs the puck out and then he makes a move either skating or makes a good pass.

He's a typical western hockey player, good two-way player, gritty, honest player with good leadership. Wore the C for the U17 team he played for and U18s. Defensively, he reads the play really well and comes back hard taking his guy, uses his body to win puck battles but isn't a hard-hitter. Offensively, he'll be a good pro player and adjust easily to the NHL because he plays like one. When he has the puck, he has his head up and can make any pass, shoots the puck great.

All-around great player, needs some work on skating but is physically raw. He won't wow you with a end-to-end deke but he's like Ekblad. Just so solid and calm that you know he won't have problems adjusting to the NHL.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I want to see this kid play but I doubt he is that close to Eichel as a prospect Eichel is a little off McDavid if not equal and has elite skating. Patrick if he does need to work on his skating is still off Matthews, Eichel, McDavid caliber. Would be interesting to see if he was in this years draft where he would slot.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Patrick is a really solid player. I think he could challenge for 1st overall, he plays and acts like a pro. He's 6'3 but he's also think for his size and his skating needs some work. Has a weird stride and his legs look pretty small compared to his upper body so he's really raw physically (which is a good thing for young players because it shows room for growth). Patrick has a good shot, really nice quick release with good accuracy and power. He's a smart player kind of like Toews, reads the play and then reacts. He wins puck battles like Toews, gets the body position, his stick digs the puck out and then he makes a move either skating or makes a good pass.

He's a typical western hockey player, good two-way player, gritty, honest player with good leadership. Wore the C for the U17 team he played for and U18s. Defensively, he reads the play really well and comes back hard taking his guy, uses his body to win puck battles but isn't a hard-hitter. Offensively, he'll be a good pro player and adjust easily to the NHL because he plays like one. When he has the puck, he has his head up and can make any pass, shoots the puck great.

All-around great player, needs some work on skating but is physically raw. He won't wow you with a end-to-end deke but he's like Ekblad. Just so solid and calm that you know he won't have problems adjusting to the NHL.

He wont challenge for 1st overall in 2017 he WILL be the 1st pick in 2017. He's on Mathews/Eichel level he just isn't as flashy so he wont get the hype they do. He's a much more complete player than either of them and will be a more offensively talented Getzlaf.

kiable

Dec 15, 2014
Patrick is a better version on Getzlaf im not sure who said something about his skating but i could almost gaurntee they havent seen him. For a kid his size he has an excelent stride. His ability to control the play and elite IQ are what make him so dangerous not only offensivly but in his own end as well. He has a big body and not afraid to use it he will also drop the mitts in aid of fellow teamates and isnt scared to mic it up or go to the dirty parts.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Better than Getzlaf seems like pretty high praise, but you'd not need to look any further than their PIMS to tell they're not the same type of player.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He wont challenge for 1st overall in 2017 he WILL be the 1st pick in 2017. He's on Mathews/Eichel level he just isn't as flashy so he wont get the hype they do. He's a much more complete player than either of them and will be a more offensively talented Getzlaf.
I mean't for 1st overall in the 2016 and even Eichel for 2nd. He's undoubtedly the #1 player for 2017, it's hard to see anyone challenge him for 1st overall in 2017. Still 1 season after this whole season for someone to fight for but in Ontario they aren't having the impact, nobody out west is on the level of Patrick, and in the Atlantic there isn't many that could match his skill even though they are having a great year over there. United States doesn't seem to have someone dominant as Patrick who is above his peers.

Patrick is a better version on Getzlaf im not sure who said something about his skating but i could almost gaurntee they havent seen him. For a kid his size he has an excelent stride. His ability to control the play and elite IQ are what make him so dangerous not only offensivly but in his own end as well. He has a big body and not afraid to use it he will also drop the mitts in aid of fellow teamates and isnt scared to mic it up or go to the dirty parts.
I've watched him play, not a ton but internationally, and 6-7 Wheat King games in his career. His stride seems a little off to me, maybe because he has a small lower body but I think that's one area he could work one.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I mean't for 1st overall in the 2016 and even Eichel for 2nd. He's undoubtedly the #1 player for 2017, it's hard to see anyone challenge him for 1st overall in 2017. Still 1 season after this whole season for someone to fight for but in Ontario they aren't having the impact, nobody out west is on the level of Patrick, and in the Atlantic there isn't many that could match his skill even though they are having a great year over there. United States doesn't seem to have someone dominant as Patrick who is above his peers.

Things do appear to be that way at the moment I only see Vilardi, Comtois and Bowers challenging him but as of right now Patrick is ahead. But, don't forget he has had an extra season of development over most of the prospects though, thats huge.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Things do appear to be that way at the moment I only see Vilardi, Comtois and Bowers challenging him but as of right now Patrick is ahead. But, don't forget he has had an extra season of development over most of the prospects though, thats huge.

Yup. It's not impossible Comtois and Vilardi can catch up, they've both had strong starts to their CHL seasons. Then there's big russian Nikita A. Popugayev who looks very interesting so far. Patrick is obviously the favorite right now but there's plenty of guys who could make a case for #1. The 2017 draft is a loooong way away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad