C Nolan Patrick - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2017 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Had no clue he was this good, if he keeps it up he may garner u-20 WJC camp consideration for the next tournament.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Nearly a PPG now @ 15 years old.

41GP 37PTS

Guy looks like he's going to be an awesome player by the time he is draft eligible.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Nearly a PPG now @ 15 years old.

41GP 37PTS

Guy looks like he's going to be an awesome player by the time he is draft eligible.

16 year old year this year. 15 year olds are not allowed to play full seasons in WHL. He does miss the cutoff date for the draft so he is guaranteed to be in WHL for two more years past this one (2017 eligible).

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Go to www.wheatkings.com and the highlights of the 5 v 3 win over swift current. About 40 seconds in you will see Patrick go around the outside of the 18 year old dman and score a beauty. Just another pretty play by one of the youngest guys in the league
I don't know how to embed the video, sorry

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
2g and 1a last night matched up against Brayden point. Second most goals on the wk's. 22 g, ahead of Yamamoto at 16, howden at 13 and steel and benson with 11
Making a strong case for best 16 year old in the dub. Others in the running apart from the names mentioned are jake bean, David quenneville and Stuart skinner

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Wanted to put in perspective how good Nolan Patrick’s season is going compared to this years 16 year olds in the dub. I included Dube even though he’s basically only played half the games the other guys have
Patrick 23 goals in 46 games .5gpg
Dube 11 goals in 26 games .42gpg
Yamamoto 16 goals in 45 games .36gpg
Benson 12 goals in 41 games .29gpg
Howden 13 goals in 47 games .28gpg
Steel 12 goals in 45 games .27gpg
How does Patrick’s season compare to the top scoring 16 year olds in the WHL over the last 9 years?
97 Merkley 25 goals in 66 games .38gpg
96 Point 24 goals in 67 games .36gpg
95 Reinhart 28 goals in 67 games .42gpg
94 Rankin 19 goals in 70 games .27gpg
93 Nugent Hopkins 24 goals in 67 games .36gpg
92 Connolly 30 goals in 65 games .46gpg
91 Schenn 28 goals in 66 games .42gpg
90 Eberle 28 goals in 66 games .42gpg
If Patrick continues on this pace, he will be the highest goals/game 16 year rookie in the WHL for the past decade. Just for fun, McDavid in his rookie season was at .4gpg, second season at .5 gpg
I’m expecting the hype to pick up on the 6'3" Patrick as more people outside of Brandon and the WHL start to see him, playing in Brandon he doesn’t get as much attention as if he was in Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver or the media friendly (TSN, sportsnet) OHL. The kids got size, speed and hands Not bad so far for a 4th overall pick in the bantam draft!

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Yeah Patrick is playing fantastic, looking like the #1 overall pick in 2017 right now but other 2017 players in the OHL and QMJHL are still in midget so the competition will ramp up in the next 2 years. Patrick has the all the tools, 6'2, speed, skill, physical (not overly physical but maybe because he's just 16) and very smart.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
There was hype to this kid and he's just living up to it now. Wasn't he on pace or nearing Jonathan Toews like numbers in bantam? Seems to a gem, one team at the top will be very luck in 2017 draft.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
There was hype to this kid and he's just living up to it now. Wasn't he on pace or nearing Jonathan Toews like numbers in bantam? Seems to a gem, one team at the top will be very luck in 2017 draft.

He had 33 g in 19 games the last year of bantam and 33 goals in 39 games in midget last year. But the bantam and midget leagues in Mb aren't super for quality so hard to predict how that will translate into the WHL for guys. Toews had 98 goals in 48 games in bantam, ridiculous

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Yeah Patrick is playing fantastic, looking like the #1 overall pick in 2017 right now but other 2017 players in the OHL and QMJHL are still in midget so the competition will ramp up in the next 2 years. Patrick has the all the tools, 6'2, speed, skill, physical (not overly physical but maybe because he's just 16) and very smart.

Patrick has been getting quite a bit of hype from everyone in the WHL. Even last year at U16's people were saying he could be 1st overall in 2017. Was featured in a Powerade24 segment on TSN. It's not fair to say he hasn't been getting enough attention.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Patrick has been getting quite a bit of hype from everyone in the WHL. Even last year at U16's people were saying he could be 1st overall in 2017. Was featured in a Powerade24 segment on TSN. It's not fair to say he hasn't been getting enough attention.

My point is he'd be getting a lot more media and casual fan attention if he played in one of the WHL's big markets or the OHL, it's just a fact that playing in Bdn, MJ, PA, SC gives players less national attention.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
lets not derail this thread, but discuss his great scoring rate this season, the best in a decade

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Maybe less attention is a good thing. In some cases it's a great thing for the player involved. Can be one less thing that could potentially derail their progress.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
He had 33 g in 19 games the last year of bantam and 33 goals in 39 games in midget last year. But the bantam and midget leagues in Mb aren't super for quality so hard to predict how that will translate into the WHL for guys. Toews had 98 goals in 48 games in bantam, ridiculous

I call horse ka ka on your MB AAA statement. MB AAA is always competative with the western provinces. Always.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
I call horse ka ka on your MB AAA statement. MB AAA is always competative with the western provinces. Always.

I guess I will respectively disagree, IMO the depth of the Mb AAA league isn't as the Ab and BC league, after the 2 Wpg teams and Bdn the quality drops off quickly. Wpg only has two teams between 700,000 residents so they are really strong teams. Teams like central plains, southwest,yellow head, parkland, Norman don't have a big population to ice teams from at all

nags

Sep 27, 2006
I guess I will respectively disagree, IMO the depth of the Mb AAA league isn't as the Ab and BC league, after the 2 Wpg teams and Bdn the quality drops off quickly. Wpg only has two teams between 700,000 residents so they are really strong teams. Teams like central plains, southwest,yellow head, parkland, Norman don't have a big population to ice teams from at all

That may be the case this year, but it isn't always the case. You made it sound like Toew's 98 points was a result of a weak league. The 88's had Jordan Staal, James Reimer, Dale Wiese, Ryan White along with Toews in the league that year. I'm sorry but it was not a cake walk for Toews. The Warriors had some epic battles with the rest of the league.

The MB champions are always competative againts the AB and BC champs for one simple reason. The league is very competative. Toew's team should have won against Adrie when they made it to the final. They had more than enough talent. Their coach who was really good for the entire season had a brain cramp during the final when he forgot that he had three lines.

In a similar manner the 98 Hawks did not perform at their best. They tied the eventual champs during the round robin but did not have much puck luck against one of the lesser lights. I am not at all surprised that Nolan is starting to show that he is a shade better than everyone else. MB boys are always under rated relative to their piers out west and if an MB kid is even mentioned, I usually expect that kid to excel.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
That may be the case this year, but it isn't always the case. You made it sound like Toew's 98 points was a result of a weak league. The 88's had Jordan Staal, James Reimer, Dale Wiese, Ryan White along with Toews in the league that year. I'm sorry but it was not a cake walk for Toews. The Warriors had some epic battles with the rest of the league.

The MB champions are always competative againts the AB and BC champs for one simple reason. The league is very competative. Toew's team should have won against Adrie when they made it to the final. They had more than enough talent. Their coach who was really good for the entire season had a brain cramp during the final when he forgot that he had three lines.

In a similar manner the 98 Hawks did not perform at their best. They tied the eventual champs during the round robin but did not have much puck luck against one of the lesser lights. I am not at all surprised that Nolan is starting to show that he is a shade better than everyone else. MB boys are always under rated relative to their piers out west and if an MB kid is even mentioned, I usually expect that kid to excel.

Jordan Staal is from Ontario lol.

arsmaster*

2 more goals tonight.

28 in 53. Which is very impressive looking at the company he's outscoring on sbtatter's post.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
2 more goals tonight.

28 in 53. Which is very impressive looking at the company he's outscoring on sbtatter's post.

He has kind of fell in form since the beginning of February offensively, but he still looks really good out there. His playing style reminds me of a bigger, but less faster version of Nathan MacKinnon. I'm pretty sure there is a better comparison out there, but he does a lot of MacKinnon type of dekes, skates like him (though without Nathan's speed), and is the king of the beaver tap. :sarcasm:

The most impressive part from Patrick (even as a late brithdate for 2017) is his defensive game. As good as he has been offensively, I think his defensive game has been just as good. He's still learning and he does bite on moves against the more talented and older forwards like Petan, but in the games I watched, he was getting decent penatly killing minutes and didn't look out of place on it.

MikeRahl

Feb 20, 2010
He has kind of fell in form since the beginning of February offensively, but he still looks really good out there. His playing style reminds me of a bigger, but less faster version of Nathan MacKinnon. I'm pretty sure there is a better comparison out there, but he does a lot of MacKinnon type of dekes, skates like him (though without Nathan's speed), and is the king of the beaver tap. :sarcasm:

The most impressive part from Patrick (even as a late brithdate for 2017) is his defensive game. As good as he has been offensively, I think his defensive game has been just as good. He's still learning and he does bite on moves against the more talented and older forwards like Petan, but in the games I watched, he was getting decent penatly killing minutes and didn't look out of place on it.

I would hardly say he fell in form since February. In Feb he was on his .5 Goal Per Game pace until he went down with an 'upper-body' injury. Last night was his first game back and he puts in 2 even strength goals.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Feb he played 6 games and had 3 goals and 3 assists
There is ability in hockey to keep putting up points and still look average, I call it the Matt Duchene syndrome ;). Now I am not calling Patrick bad or a bust, and I am not trying to know anything over you Sbtatter when it comes to the Wheat Kings...but in my most recent viewing of him, I don't think he has had the same impact offensively comparing back to December of controlling the cycle, scoring in dynamic fashion, etc. Of course this my opinion. Again, I am not calling him overrated, bust, or bad.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Next year when he leads the WHL in scoring, I wonder if you will think he doesn't control the play or not

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Next year when he leads the WHL in scoring, I wonder if you will think he doesn't control the play or not
LOL

This is the problem with message boards...One person describes one tiny little consistency fault for a player in the 2017 draft and **** goes ape **** all over the place.:laugh: It's like you cannot say something bad or all the illuminati posters come out and put you in your place. I do admit that part of his impressive season this year has come because he plays on a Chynoweth Cup potential winning club (actually more surprised no Wheat King fan can admit this). But to put words in my mouths to say I don't think he controls the play or that I don't think he will lead the WHL next season is assumption galore as I have ever seen one. I never said he doesn't control the play, I was comparing his form from December to February, my God people settle down.

When he puts on more muscle to his frame for next season, I do think he will be top 10, with a good chance barring any injuries, top 5 placement, especially with the team he is on and surrounded by (and of course his talent level). I think John Quenneville is going to be close to the perfect role model for him IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad