Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
They have played four times in the last month:

Hischier: 2-2-4 (7 shots) 51.6% CF

Patrick: 0-0-5 (6 shots) 62.5% CF

Here's the difference- Hischier is largely playing against one of the top lines in hockey and one of the best top pairs. Patrick is playing against middle six players on a team decimated by injuries. I don't know how you can say the gap is close based on those games.

I mean, they have both played ~20 games since New Year... and their CF% is virtually identical while Patrick has started 20% less in the OZ.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I mean, they have both played ~20 games since New Year... and their CF% is virtually identical while Patrick has started 20% less in the OZ.
Most shifts start on the fly, as you know, so zone starts are overstated, as you know

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Most shifts start on the fly, as you know, so zone starts are overstated.

Oh yeh, and Hischier has been more impactful overall since NY for his team, as he has produced more. (as I have said, Hischier was my #1 guy from v.early in their draft year... it would be hypocritical to infer otherwise, and I think he will have the better career and has more upside.)

But Patrick has been playing very, very well for a good 20 games now. While seeing the 2nd toughest match-ups in general and below 50% OZ starts. His CF% over that spell is actually 1st on the Flyers, and he has - by eye test - looked a different player as well.

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
Oh yeh, and Hischier has been more impactful overall since NY for his team, as he has produced more. (as I have said, Hischier was my #1 guy from v.early in their draft year... it would be hypocritical to infer otherwise, and I think he will have the better career and has more upside.)

But Patrick has been playing very, very well for a good 20 games now. While seeing the 2nd toughest match-ups in general and below 50% OZ starts. His CF% over that spell is actually 1st on the Flyers, and he has - by eye test - looked a different player as well.
I agree. He looks very good since being put with Voracek

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
They have played four times in the last month:

Hischier: 2-2-4 (7 shots) 51.6% CF

Patrick: 0-0-5 (6 shots) 62.5% CF

Here's the difference- Hischier is largely playing against one of the top lines in hockey and one of the best top pairs. Patrick is playing against middle six players on a team decimated by injuries. I don't know how you can say the gap is close based on those games.

That is only a sample of four games, and it's all relative. Nico has been playing like a 1st line player, and Nolan a 2nd. The way the other Devils fan put it, implied (or at least I assumed) that the gap was larger than that.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I agree. He looks very good since being put with Voracek

Yep, though worth noting his underlying figures have actually been superior to Jakes since being put together...

and he was playing well before he was with Jake. First few weeks after Xmas he was over 50% CF too playing with Simmonds and Weal. And also played well with Weal and Weise for a short time.

NJ DevLolz

Sep 30, 2017
Yep, though worth noting his underlying figures have actually been superior to Jakes since being put together...

and he was playing well before he was with Jake. First few weeks after Xmas he was over 50% CF too playing with Simmonds and Weal. And also played well with Weal and Weise for a short time.
I obviously hope the Flyers suck as a fan of a rival team, but I am pulling for him. I think all Devils and Flyers fans are at least a little invested in both Nico and Nolan.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I obviously hope the Flyers suck as a fan of a rival team, but I am pulling for him. I think all Devils and Flyers fans are at least a little invested in both Nico and Nolan.

Same here for Nico. I love the kid and his game.

Him and Pettersson were probably my two favourite players in the draft. (though I did have Patrick at #2, Pettersson at #3.)

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I don't know how you can get that out of the last two games. Yes, Nico did score in both games. But, he was also virtually invisible in both. Nolan had a much better combined CF% in those last two games and had surprisingly less OZS than Nico. If anything those last two head-to-head matchups tell me that Nolan isn't as far behind Nico as I/most people thought. And sure if you look at the stats from the start of the season, Nico is clearly on a seperate level. But, if you look at them since Jan 1st, they are significantly closer.

Nolan reminds me a bit of Zacha recently. Both seem to have started to put it together, but the score sheet simply isn't reflecting their play. I expect Nolan to be a solid 1/2C long term and really like his game.
That being said I don't know how you can really say Nico was invisible in the NJ-Philly games although he has hit a bit of a wall recently. Anyway, Nico's biggest struggles have been his lack of size and his finishing. I would say he clearly has a higher ceiling than Nolan and have been pleasantly surprised by him all season (I honestly wasn't sure how well Nico's game would translate to the NHL and thought Patrick would be the safer pick).

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Nolan reminds me a bit of Zacha recently. Both seem to have started to put it together, but the score sheet simply isn't reflecting their play. I expect Nolan to be a solid 1/2C long term and really like his game.
That being said I don't know how you can really say Nico was invisible in the NJ-Philly games although he has hit a bit of a wall recently. Anyway, Nico's biggest struggles have been his lack of size and his finishing. I would say he clearly has a higher ceiling than Nolan and have been pleasantly surprised by him all season (I honestly wasn't sure how well Nico's game would translate to the NHL and thought Patrick would be the safer pick).

Yeah I stopped reading after that. Nico was dominant. Most beat writers and anyone who watched said besides Hall, Nico was one of the top 3 players on the ice last game. Drew Stafford somehow got #1 star for the shootout goal lol(HE was invisible). Nico was fantastic and does so many little things right. His faceoffs are getting much better than earlier in the season as well. At a young age, he'sshowing he rises to the occasion for the big games. His issue right now is his size, but what I love about Hischier is he does not shy away from the dirty areas. He goes to the net, battles along the boards, gets pushed down, but gets back up all while playing #1C against other teams' top defensive players night in and night out. He's producing as the youngest in the NHL and is only going to get better.

Patrick is getting better as well. I was shocked to see I think last game where he actually caught up to one of the Devils players. His speed is probably average/going to be about average, but its better than it was beginning of the season. I see him more as more of 2C, which there's nothing wrong with and what scouts stated pre-draft. With Couts as your #1C, that's fine. Wish him well tho!

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
I still like Patrick's upside and I think he will start playing like a 2nd overall talent on the scoresheet next year.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
He is probably a little shell shocked coming to the show by the speed of it. Give him an off season or two to build up his strength and a lot of these comments are going to look asinine.

Reactions: Devonator

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He is probably a little shell shocked coming to the show by the speed of it. Give him an off season or two to build up his strength and a lot of these comments are going to look asinine.

It really comes down to not being able to train for almost 2 years. This summer will be important for him.

His usage is also changing. He only has 4 games all year wil more than 16 minutes of icetime....all have come in the last 7 games. And he has 5 points in his last 9 games.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Big faceoff win and assist last night. Another good performance in an important game.

Reactions: Tripod

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Patrick has been looking great after being healed from his surgery which every Flyer fan was hoping would happen by mid season. Having him/Couts/Frost down the middle in the future will be fun to watch for us.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
It really comes down to not being able to train for almost 2 years. This summer will be important for him.

His usage is also changing. He only has 4 games all year wil more than 16 minutes of icetime....all have come in the last 7 games. And he has 5 points in his last 9 games.

The crazy infection that he had pre-training camp in 2017 was probably a big issue as well. Probably lost weight, strength, and endurance.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I think with Patrick he was too good to go back to junior, but seemed overwhelmed in the NHL for the first half of the season.

It’s too bad CHL players can’t go to the AHL once they’re drafted, this would of been the best option for Patrick to start his pro career.

Looks like he’s starting to put it together and adjust to the speed of the NHL. I’m expecting him to have a much more productive sophomore season.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016

Thats how hes going to score his goals. He doesnt have the speed or slickness that Nico has but he is going to be good at using his size at driving the middle, which is good because a lot of the Flyers forwards generally stay to the perimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad