C Nolan Patrick (2017, 2nd, PHI) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If only Patrick was in Jr beating up on teenagers. Then he would not be a bust. Oh well.
To be fair, it's not like there's any other large centers that you could use as an example, who started off slow in the scoring department and went on to become a top player.

Nobody who was drafted by the Flyers.
Nobody who HFBoards quickly declared a bust.
Nobody who Flyers fans told those people shouldn't be judged by raw point totals alone.
Nobody named Sean Couturier.
Nobody like that at all.

Personally, I believe Patrick's already at his peak.

I also don't think his offseason surgery is an excuse. Stupid Flyers fans tried to blame Giroux and Ghosts 2016-2017 season lack of scoring on that and look at how wrong those idiots were...

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
This reminds me of the Ghost/Giroux threads of the past summer

Wait until he fully recovers from TWO hernia surgery's and has an offseason to actually train and you will see a very different player. His speed is already much improved from the start of the season

Reactions: Devonator

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
He is getting better but the fact of the matter is at the moment, he’s nothing special. I don’t know how him and Nico were even considered the same tier of player. I watched every game of the devils flyers regular season series, and it’s not even close. Nicos fasted, significantly more talented, better defensively, and was dominant on draws as well in last nights game. As a devils fan I would be furious right now if we took this guy 1st overall. I know however that a lot can change, all I’m saying is right now it’s not even close

I love the Devils fans hot takes.

It was identified at the draft that Hischier would be flashier than Patrick.

Patrick's face off ability eclipses Hischier's right now. Regardless, it's not that even that important to consider.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
He is getting better but the fact of the matter is at the moment, he’s nothing special. I don’t know how him and Nico were even considered the same tier of player. I watched every game of the devils flyers regular season series, and it’s not even close. Nicos fasted, significantly more talented, better defensively, and was dominant on draws as well in last nights game. As a devils fan I would be furious right now if we took this guy 1st overall. I know however that a lot can change, all I’m saying is right now it’s not even close
They were in close to the same tier before the draft, but then nico improved a lot over the summer and has been improving throughout the season. Nolans not slowing down though, he's just very injury prone and he was old at the draft. He could possibly get to be a number 1 center some year

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
He's looked a lot better than he did earlier in the season. He looks a lot faster as well.

His injury(ies) definitely hampered him early on.

Reactions: Appleyard

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
His possession numbers have really improved since being put with Voracek and Simmonds. I am curious how much of it is Patrick himself and how much is Voracek driving-play like usual. Aside from a 3 game stretch, he still hasn't been getting shots

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
The Patrick hate by these random Vancouver fans popping in any Flyers related thread totally unprompted is fascinating. It doesn't take a psychologist to see what's going on.
Yeah the whole world revolves around Pettersson for them. And btw from what I’ve seen I’d still absolutely take Patrick 2nd. But I’m just saying I don’t think right now he’s even close to the same level as Hischier.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Yeah the whole world revolves around Pettersson for them. And btw from what I’ve seen I’d still absolutely take Patrick 2nd. But I’m just saying I don’t think right now he’s even close to the same level as Hischier.

Nico was light-years better than Nolan in the 1st half of the season. But, I don't think it is fair to say he "isn't close" to Nico since the new year. Nico still has been better, but the gap is shrinking.

Reactions: Striiker

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Nico was light-years better than Nolan in the 1st half of the season. But, I don't think it is fair to say he "isn't close" to Nico since the new year. Nico still has been better, but the gap is shrinking.
I disagree. Watching the past 2 NJD flyers games it’s clear Nico is on a separate level, stats also prove it.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I disagree. Watching the past 2 NJD flyers games it’s clear Nico is on a separate level, stats also prove it.

I don't know how you can get that out of the last two games. Yes, Nico did score in both games. But, he was also virtually invisible in both. Nolan had a much better combined CF% in those last two games and had surprisingly less OZS than Nico. If anything those last two head-to-head matchups tell me that Nolan isn't as far behind Nico as I/most people thought. And sure if you look at the stats from the start of the season, Nico is clearly on a seperate level. But, if you look at them since Jan 1st, they are significantly closer.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
I don't know how you can get that out of the last two games. Yes, Nico did score in both games. But, he was also virtually invisible in both. Nolan had a much better combined CF% in those last two games and had surprisingly less OZS than Nico. If anything those last two head-to-head matchups tell me that Nolan isn't as far behind Nico as I/most people thought. And sure if you look at the stats from the start of the season, Nico is clearly on a seperate level. But, if you look at them since Jan 1st, they are significantly closer.
If you think he was virtually invisible on Tuesday, you’re blind. I can’t argue with someone who clearly isn’t watching games. His goal came off of a takeaway that he had, and he had the primary assist in the game tying goal with a minute left. He was flying all over the ice.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
If you think he was virtually invisible on Tuesday, you’re blind. I can’t argue with someone who clearly isn’t watching games. His goal came off of a takeaway that he had, and he had the primary assist in the game tying goal with a minute left. He was flying all over the ice.

Whatever you say bud. I could probably count the amount of times Nico touched the puck on two hands.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Whatever you say bud. I could probably count the amount of times Nico touched the puck on two hands.
Even if what you were saying is true (which, of course, isn’t.) it would still have been more than Patrick. He’s extremely talented yet managed to play like a cone. The only thing he’s accomplished agaisnt the devils this year is taking PIMS. I’ve literally seen him do nothing this year besides throw bank passes of the boards. Great 2nd/3rd Liner. Nico is going to be an elite player

Reactions: FlyTimmo

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Even if what you were saying is true (which, of course, isn’t.) it would still have been more than Patrick. He’s extremely talented yet managed to play like a cone. The only thing he’s accomplished agaisnt the devils this year is taking PIMS. I’ve literally seen him do nothing this year besides throw bank passes of the boards. Great 2nd/3rd Liner. Nico is going to be an elite player

Interesting.

You said earlier that you'd still take him second, but now say he is limited to being a 2nd/3rd liner.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Interesting.

You said earlier that you'd still take him second, but now say he is limited to being a 2nd/3rd liner.
He’s going to be a very effective player no doubt about it. But I see him as a Jordan staal type of guy. I’m not high in EP af all

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
He’s going to be a very effective player no doubt about it. But I see him as a Jordan staal type of guy. I’m not high in EP af all

I think Patrick has better puck skills and vision than Staal. I see Patrick turning into a Sean Monahan type player. Nico looks like a young Zetterberg. And I will agree, I'm not too keen on EP either. I am a big fan of Heiskanen though, and I think he is going to be a #1.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
I think Patrick has better puck skills and vision than Staal. I see Patrick turning into a Sean Monahan type player. Nico looks like a young Zetterberg. And I will agree, I'm not too keen on EP either. I am a big fan of Heiskanen though, and I think he is going to be a #1.
He’s the only one I’d potentially take 2 over Nolan. It’s Patrick’s foot speed that really concerns me, but I do agree his puck skills and offensive IQ are probably better than staal. Still though I think they’re very similar players

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
He’s the only one I’d potentially take 2 over Nolan. It’s Patrick’s foot speed that really concerns me, but I do agree his puck skills and offensive IQ are probably better than staal. Still though I think they’re very similar players

I think Getzlaf(lite) is probably a better comparable too. Nolan's foot speed was very concerning early in the season, but has since been gradually improving. Next year will give us a better indication of what kind of player he can be.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
All I can say is that the Flyers have the luxury of being patient with Patrick, given the embarrassment of riches they possess in terms of youth and prospects. Not to mention with Giroux and Voracek still leading the way.

Patrick is going to be a helluva player. As a Canucks fan I'm very excited for Pettersson but until he plays in the NHL there is no use comparing the two.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
They have played four times in the last month:

Hischier: 2-2-4 (7 shots) 51.6% CF

Patrick: 0-0-5 (6 shots) 62.5% CF

Here's the difference- Hischier is largely playing against one of the top lines in hockey and one of the best top pairs. Patrick is playing against middle six players on a team decimated by injuries. I don't know how you can say the gap is close based on those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00