C Nolan Patrick (2017, 2nd, PHI) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'm pretty sure 2-3 years from now we can all laugh at these Pettersson comments.
Pre-draft, I said it would not surprise me if someone other than Nico/Nolan ended up as the best guy from the draft because that draft had no McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, etc.. It could be EP as he is having a great year.

But it was a Nico/Nolan draft for a reason as well. They were the top 2 for a reason. If Patrick's season next year is like this year, then concerns are real. But we have seem glimpses into what he could be when healthy. And I would still take him at #2. If he was dominating lower levels, there would be no issue.

He was already a 1.4 PPG player while playing with a hernia all season in Jr. He would be doing even better this year but not challenged.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Pre-draft, I said it would not surprise me if someone other than Nico/Nolan ended up as the best guy from the draft because that draft had no McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, etc.. It could be EP as he is having a great year.

But it was a Nico/Nolan draft for a reason as well. They were the top 2 for a reason. If Patrick's season next year is like this year, then concerns are real. But we have seem glimpses into what he could be when healthy. And I would still take him at #2. If he was dominating lower levels, there would be no issue.

He was already a 1.4 PPG player while playing with a hernia all season in Jr. He would be doing even better this year but not challenged.

Yeah, I don't really think it'd bother me if Patrick ended up a worse player than those selected after him. He's a polished player for his age and he's got good upside. Flyers weren't in a position to select nearly as good of a prospect before they won the lottery

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah, I don't really think it'd bother me if Patrick ended up a worse player than those selected after him. He's a polished player for his age and he's got good upside. Flyers weren't in a position to select nearly as good of a prospect before they won the lottery
Not taking Patrick at #2 and being wrong, would be a fireable mistake.
Taking Patrick at #2 and being wrong, is not.

I think Philly wanted him all along and realized that despite playing with all the hernia issues, he was still posting great numbers. And due to doctors missing a hernia in Jr, could also be why the Flyers want him in Philly. That way they can monitor his recovery, dictate icetime, training, eating, etc...

You just have way more control over him at the NHL level than in Jr. I am ok that he is not posting a 1.8 PPG in the WHL and instead is in the NHL. Those who have watched all season have seen his development.

AtlasRust

Jan 16, 2011
Ok, I read it.

First point, who the hell is Donal Finn.
Second point, why should his opinion be valued?

This is a blog that anyone could write. Is this guy a 10 year old? Do tell.

And Jake Virtanen, he went back to Jr in his draft+1 season. Plus, he was barely a PPG player in Jr. Patrick was a PPG player at aged 16. How is he relevant at all?

When you can't attack the message, attack the messenger.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Nobody behind him has done nearly enough to justify this yet. Patrick’s coming off an injury and if you look beyond his basic stats - which are still fine and heavily affected by the trash usage and linemates he has received up until late - he is one of Philly’s top players already. Others might surpass him eventually, but he goes #2 if the draft happens today, again.
I'm not denying that he's talented, I just think that him being one of the oldest drafted and having some skating issues due to some awkward footing didn't affect his draft status as it should. Nothing really bad about the season he's having and I don't doubt he will have a great career, but in the future I see him being one of those "How was he drafted at 2?".IMO he should've been drafted 6th or 7th.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
When you can't attack the message, attack the messenger.

The message is pure nonsense in relation to Philly. Patrick was good enough for the NHL at 19 just like Provrov and Konecny were the year before, and there was no way they were going to have his health managed by his WHL team again.

And the Flyers GM has a bunch of prospects developing in the AHL. In fact, he has at least two too many right now in Lindblom and Sanheim

Last edited:

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I'm not denying that he's talented, I just think that him being one of the oldest drafted and having some skating issues due to some awkward footing didn't affect his draft status as it should. Nothing really bad about the season he's having and I don't doubt he will have a great career, but in the future I see him being one of those "How was he drafted at 2?".IMO he should've been drafted 6th or 7th.
At the beginning of the season he was holding his own just fine, as a rookie coming off surgery. Since late December he's been playing great hockey, largely because his speed has picked up and he's continuing to do all the little things that will make him a great player for a long time (positioning, passing, attention to D, etc). Last night vs Carolina, he was awarded Player of the Game by his teammates, which means he has to don the dumb Ric Flair robe. I think Patrick's career will be like Couturier's for a couple years: people will question him and put limits on him, then suddenly the points will start piling up and Flyers fans will say 'told you so.'

Reactions: flyersfan187

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
:laugh: The Flyers give that crappy Ric Flair robe to the player of the game? It looks like an elementary school student made it.

Reactions: Larry44

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Another great game tonight and big point on the game tying goal. Should have picked up a 2nd assist on the would-be go-head goal if Simmonds didnt shank it.

Patrick of 2/6/18 would lap Patrick of 11/6/2017 in a race around the rink.

And that might not even be hyperbole... It has been a night and day transformation from the start of the season to now. The fantastic hands and vision were always there, but when you add those elite traits to a big frame who can really move around the ice, you better watch out. He is going to be a special player, and I can't wait to watch him continue to get better.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
:laugh: The Flyers give that crappy Ric Flair robe to the player of the game? It looks like an elementary school student made it.

Who do you expect to make something like that? A professional seamtress? Do you think the players give a shit about the quality? It's all in good fun and Ric Flair has endorsed it.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
And that might not even be hyperbole... It has been a night and day transformation from the start of the season to now. The fantastic hands and vision were always there, but when you add those elite traits to a big frame who can really move around the ice, you better watch out. He is going to be a special player, and I can't wait to watch him continue to get better.
It really comes down to needing time to fully recover from the sports hernia surgery. It took Giroux and Ghost half the year last year to get their strides back. It took Nolan about the same, and and he missed time with a concussion too. Knock wood, he should get a full summer's training and be even better next year.

Reactions: TroutHockey

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It really comes down to needing time to fully recover from the sports hernia surgery. It took Giroux and Ghost half the year last year to get their strides back. It took Nolan about the same, and and he missed time with a concussion too. Knock wood, he should get a full summer's training and be even better next year.

Seeing him using his IQ, hands, and passing ability at a significantly increased speed has been a beautiful sight recently.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Exactly. It was wishful thinking that he could come out of the gates this season in top form. Really excited to see what he can do with a full offseason of NHL level training under his belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad